Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Sangiovese

In my continued exploration of italian reds I happened across a bottle
of 2000 Sangiovese and enjoyed it very much. I have done a little
research and am becoming confused about this wine. I keep reading that
Sangiovese is a varietal used in making other wines such as Brunello
and Chianti. However, the bottle I had was not a blend, or at least
wasn't identified as such on the label. Could you kind folk help me
understand this wine better. The bottle I had was very nice and I plan
to drink more but want to understand more about it before shopping for
it.

Thanks,

Alan

Posted to alt.food.wine

Sangiovese is the grape variety. It makes up at least 85% of any wine
labeled Chianti (Chianti is a subregion of Tuscany). It makes up 100%
of Brunello di Montalcino (in a particular clone known as Brunello or
Sangiovese Grosso) -Montalcino is another area of Tuscany. Like many
varieties, it has many clones, but they are all still Sangiovese.

Posted to alt.food.wine

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> In my continued exploration of italian reds I happened across a bottle
> of 2000 Sangiovese and enjoyed it very much. I have done a little
> research and am becoming confused about this wine. I keep reading that
> Sangiovese is a varietal used in making other wines such as Brunello
> and Chianti. However, the bottle I had was not a blend, or at least
> wasn't identified as such on the label. Could you kind folk help me
> understand this wine better. The bottle I had was very nice and I plan
> to drink more but want to understand more about it before shopping for
> it.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Alan

Sangiovese is the main grape used in Chianti. It is also an EXCELLENT grape
on its own. It usually has more acidity than your typical "Bordeaux" grapes
such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Cabernet Franc. It is for this
reason that I use it in blending (I am a home wine maker). Some vinifera
can result in "flabby" wines if the pH goes up too much after Malo Lactic
Fermentation. A blend with some Sangiovese helps eliminate this problem and
means that one can control the acidity by blending and without adding
Tartaric Acid.

This fall, I am going to make a 100% Sangiovese as well as using some in
blends. I wish it were grown more in the US. I also I had more room in my
backyard vineyard to grow some myself. I know that some new vineyards in
North Carolina are groing it.

Posted to alt.food.wine

> skrev i melding
oups.com...
> understand this wine better. The bottle I had was very nice and I plan
> to drink more but want to understand more about it before shopping for
> it.

That's the main point - you want more of that... :-)
It is correct what the others have said - if the bottle said Sangiovese, it
is 100% (allowing for legalities in some areas permitting a certain
percentage of other grapes to be mixed in, up to 15%, at the vintners
discretion)

Now, a wine from a demarcated region, up to the standards of that region,
will proudly display the name of the region and it is taken for granted that
it will be superior or have a certain desirable character. The point is
that climate, soil, grapes and more factors contribute to the final result
and wine regions in Europe often have more than 1000 years of experience in
getting the best result for each location.

Keep drinking 'pure' Sangiovese and bear in mind that many, if not most,
great wines in Europe don't say what grapes are used.
hth
Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

From your post, I'm presuming you're in North Carolina? If so, can't help
you much - but out here in the CA Sierra Foothills, Sangiovese has a steady
and growing popularity. There are some excellent varietal Sangiovese's made
in Amador County - you might try those from Amador winery. Unfortunately,
not too many blends made with it - and, as you mentioned, it's a great
blending grape.

I haven't made any yet, but Sangiovese is definitely on my 'must make' list
for within the next couple years.

> Sangiovese is the main grape used in Chianti. It is also an EXCELLENT
> grape on its own. It usually has more acidity than your typical
> "Bordeaux" grapes such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Cabernet Franc.
> It is for this reason that I use it in blending (I am a home wine maker).
> Some vinifera can result in "flabby" wines if the pH goes up too much
> after Malo Lactic Fermentation. A blend with some Sangiovese helps
> eliminate this problem and means that one can control the acidity by
> blending and without adding Tartaric Acid.
>
> This fall, I am going to make a 100% Sangiovese as well as using some in
> blends. I wish it were grown more in the US. I also I had more room in
> my backyard vineyard to grow some myself. I know that some new vineyards
> in North Carolina are groing it.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 20:28:37 -0700, miles > wrote:

wrote:
>> In my continued exploration of italian reds I happened across a bottle
>> of 2000 Sangiovese and enjoyed it very much. I have done a little
>> research and am becoming confused about this wine. I keep reading that
>> Sangiovese is a varietal used in making other wines such as Brunello
>> and Chianti. However, the bottle I had was not a blend, or at least
>> wasn't identified as such on the label. Could you kind folk help me
>> understand this wine better. The bottle I had was very nice and I plan
>> to drink more but want to understand more about it before shopping for
>> it.

>In California it is common to find 100% Sangiovese wines. One of my
>favorites. I often prefer them to Italian Chianti blends. I'm going to
>have to try Brunello.

Does anyone know if any US winery or vineyard has ever tried to grow
the Brunello clone and, if so, what the results were? I am not aware
of any.

Vino
Posted to alt.food.wine

In addition to what others have said, it is worth remarking that many
Italian wines made to the strictist DOC or DOCG regulations name the
grape variety as well as the region, e.g.
Brunello di Montalcino
Montepulciano d'Abruzzo
Moscato d'Asti
Nebbiolo delle Langhe

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Posted to alt.food.wine

Ric wrote:
> From your post, I'm presuming you're in North Carolina? If so, can't help
> you much - but out here in the CA Sierra Foothills, Sangiovese has a steady
> and growing popularity. There are some excellent varietal Sangiovese's made
> in Amador County - you might try those from Amador winery. Unfortunately,
> not too many blends made with it - and, as you mentioned, it's a great
> blending grape.

Some of my favorite wineries are stopping production of Sangiovese.
They told me it just isn't selling well even though those that do buy it
love it. Two of my favorites Cambria and Midnight Cellars are halting
Sangiovese production with this years release being the last. I believe
Meridian is also ending Sangiovese.

It's a marketing thing. Current US market is huge for Merlot which I
find very non-descriptive and lacking much complexity. Only a handful
seem to have any depth. It should go back to being a blending grape in
my opinion!

Posted to alt.food.wine

The group I make wine with (www.chateaugarage.com) is making a
Sangiovese this year. We are getting grapes from Hopland in Mendocino
through Peter Brehm. We are in the bay area but have a place in Weimar
where we do a lot of the winemaking.
Jim

"Ric" > wrote in message
t...
> From your post, I'm presuming you're in North Carolina? If so, can't help
> you much - but out here in the CA Sierra Foothills, Sangiovese has a
> steady and growing popularity. There are some excellent varietal
> Sangiovese's made in Amador County - you might try those from Amador
> winery. Unfortunately, not too many blends made with it - and, as you
> mentioned, it's a great blending grape.
>
> I haven't made any yet, but Sangiovese is definitely on my 'must make'
> list for within the next couple years.
>

>> Sangiovese is the main grape used in Chianti. It is also an EXCELLENT
>> grape on its own. It usually has more acidity than your typical
>> "Bordeaux" grapes such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Cabernet Franc.
>> It is for this reason that I use it in blending (I am a home wine maker).
>> Some vinifera can result in "flabby" wines if the pH goes up too much
>> after Malo Lactic Fermentation. A blend with some Sangiovese helps
>> eliminate this problem and means that one can control the acidity by
>> blending and without adding Tartaric Acid.
>>
>> This fall, I am going to make a 100% Sangiovese as well as using some in
>> blends. I wish it were grown more in the US. I also I had more room in
>> my backyard vineyard to grow some myself. I know that some new vineyards
>> in North Carolina are groing it.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Very cool thing you've got going there with the "chateaugarage". Do you
visit the rec.crafts.winemaking newsgroup? I correspond there quite a bit.

If you're ever headed up to the foothills a little north of your Weimar
place, give me a shout (I'll use your website to get you my email address
rather than post it here). I'm in Nevada City, where we have a number of
great wineries; Nevada City winery, Iron Mountain, Indian Springs, Burch
Hall, Lucchessi, Starr, ... the list goes on. Most all have tasting rooms
nowadays, so a trip to Grass Valley / Nevada City makes for a full day of
wine.

Cheers!

"Jim Mehl" > wrote in message
.. .
> The group I make wine with (www.chateaugarage.com) is making a
> Sangiovese this year. We are getting grapes from Hopland in Mendocino
> through Peter Brehm. We are in the bay area but have a place in Weimar
> where we do a lot of the winemaking.
> Jim

Posted to alt.food.wine

miles wrote:
> Ric wrote:
> > From your post, I'm presuming you're in North Carolina? If so, can't help
> > you much - but out here in the CA Sierra Foothills, Sangiovese has a steady
> > and growing popularity. There are some excellent varietal Sangiovese's made
> > in Amador County - you might try those from Amador winery. Unfortunately,
> > not too many blends made with it - and, as you mentioned, it's a great
> > blending grape.

> Some of my favorite wineries are stopping production of Sangiovese.

In ITALY?

> They told me it just isn't selling well even though those that do buy it
> love it. Two of my favorites Cambria and Midnight Cellars are halting
> Sangiovese production with this years release being the last. I believe
> Meridian is also ending Sangiovese.

The OP asked about ITALIAN Sangiovese. WTF is wrong with you? Can't you
read?

> It's a marketing thing. Current US market is huge for Merlot which I
> find very non-descriptive and lacking much complexity. Only a handful
> seem to have any depth. It should go back to being a blending grape in
> my opinion!

Why do I bother with you morons?

Posted to alt.food.wine

UC wrote:
> miles wrote:
>> Ric wrote:
>>> From your post, I'm presuming you're in North Carolina? If so, can't help
>>> you much - but out here in the CA Sierra Foothills, Sangiovese has a steady
>>> and growing popularity. There are some excellent varietal Sangiovese's made
>>> in Amador County - you might try those from Amador winery. Unfortunately,
>>> not too many blends made with it - and, as you mentioned, it's a great
>>> blending grape.

>> Some of my favorite wineries are stopping production of Sangiovese.

> In ITALY?

Geez. You seriously need a time out and then a nap!!

> The OP asked about ITALIAN Sangiovese. WTF is wrong with you? Can't you
> read?

My reply wasn't to the OP. Read above what I replied too. This is a
forum of discussion. Sounds like you need an attitude adjustment.

> Why do I bother with you morons?

ROFL. Hey, thanks for the laugh! Geez. Some peoples kids.

Posted to alt.food.wine

What did what you wrote have to do with this?:

"In my continued exploration of italian reds I happened across a bottle
of 2000 Sangiovese and enjoyed it very much. I have done a little
research and am becoming confused about this wine. I keep reading that
Sangiovese is a varietal used in making other wines such as Brunello
and Chianti. However, the bottle I had was not a blend, or at least
wasn't identified as such on the label. Could you kind folk help me
understand this wine better. The bottle I had was very nice and I plan
to drink more but want to understand more about it before shopping for
it.

Thanks,

Alan"

Posted to alt.food.wine

Steve Slatcher > wrote:

> In addition to what others have said, it is worth remarking that
> many Italian wines made to the strictist DOC or DOCG regulations
> name the grape variety as well as the region, e.g.
> Brunello di Montalcino
> Montepulciano d'Abruzzo
> Moscato d'Asti
> Nebbiolo delle Langhe

Strange that nobody mentioned Sangiovese di Romagna DOC.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Vino wrote:

> Does anyone know if any US winery or vineyard has ever tried to grow
> the Brunello clone and, if so, what the results were? I am not aware
> of any.

There are several producers making wine from Sangiovese grosso today.
Unti (http://www.untivineyards.com/news/news04.htm) and Field Stone
(http://www.fieldstonewinery.com/page...sangiovese.htm)
are two who have that I know of.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi > wrote:

>> Strange that nobody mentioned Sangiovese di Romagna DOC.

> That's right, uranium committee did.

Who?

Not so strange. ;-)

Of course ... ;-)

M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
> Michael Pronay wrote:
>> Strange that nobody mentioned Sangiovese di Romagna DOC.

> That's right, uranium committee did. Not so strange. ;-) --
> Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France

Mike I disagree, I find uranium committee very strange.
He should enter the reactor and spend time in the core. :^0

Posted to alt.food.wine

UC wrote:
> miles wrote:
>> UC wrote:
>>> In ITALY?

>> Geez. You seriously need a time out and then a nap!!
>>
>>> The OP asked about ITALIAN Sangiovese. WTF is wrong with you? Can't you
>>> read?

>> My reply wasn't to the OP. Read above what I replied too. This is a
>> forum of discussion. Sounds like you need an attitude adjustment.
>>
>>> Why do I bother with you morons?

>> ROFL. Hey, thanks for the laugh! Geez. Some peoples kids.

> What did what you wrote have to do with this?:
>
> "In my continued exploration of italian reds I happened across a bottle
> of 2000 Sangiovese and enjoyed it very much. I have done a little
> research and am becoming confused about this wine. I keep reading that
> Sangiovese is a varietal used in making other wines such as Brunello
> and Chianti. However, the bottle I had was not a blend, or at least
> wasn't identified as such on the label. Could you kind folk help me
> understand this wine better. The bottle I had was very nice and I plan
> to drink more but want to understand more about it before shopping for
> it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Alan"

Geez. READ!!! Look above in this very message to what "RIC WROTE".
That is who I replied to, not Alan. Keep up with the threads before
inserting foot into mouth. Now apologize.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Michael Pronay wrote:
> Steve Slatcher > wrote:
>
> > In addition to what others have said, it is worth remarking that
> > many Italian wines made to the strictist DOC or DOCG regulations
> > name the grape variety as well as the region, e.g.
> > Brunello di Montalcino
> > Montepulciano d'Abruzzo
> > Moscato d'Asti
> > Nebbiolo delle Langhe

> Strange that nobody mentioned Sangiovese di Romagna DOC.

You can't read either. I mentioned it.

> M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

miles wrote:
> UC wrote:
> > miles wrote:
> >> Geez. You seriously need a time out and then a nap!!

> >> My reply wasn't to the OP. Read above what I replied too. This is a
> >> forum of discussion. Sounds like you need an attitude adjustment.

> >> ROFL. Hey, thanks for the laugh! Geez. Some peoples kids.

> > What did what you wrote have to do with this?:
> >
> > "In my continued exploration of italian reds I happened across a bottle
> > of 2000 Sangiovese and enjoyed it very much. I have done a little
> > research and am becoming confused about this wine. I keep reading that
> > Sangiovese is a varietal used in making other wines such as Brunello
> > and Chianti. However, the bottle I had was not a blend, or at least
> > wasn't identified as such on the label. Could you kind folk help me
> > understand this wine better. The bottle I had was very nice and I plan
> > to drink more but want to understand more about it before shopping for
> > it.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Alan"

> Geez. READ!!! Look above in this very message to what "RIC WROTE".
> That is who I replied to, not Alan. Keep up with the threads before
> inserting foot into mouth. Now apologize.

I know you were replying to another post, but you were not responding
to the question posed by the OP. You were continuing to go away from
the original question, explicitly asked, about SANGIOVESE from ITALY.
Why would anyone be concerned with Sangiovese wines from the uS?, when
the grape is characteristically Italian. It is one of the most popular
grapes in Italy, planted all over the middle and south.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Professor wrote:
> "Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
> > Michael Pronay wrote:
> >> Strange that nobody mentioned Sangiovese di Romagna DOC.

> > That's right, uranium committee did. Not so strange. ;-) --
> > Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France

> Mike I disagree, I find uranium committee very strange.
> He should enter the reactor and spend time in the core. :^0

The Committee finds you a waste of our time.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi wrote:
> UC wrote:
> > Professor wrote:

> >>Mike I disagree, I find uranium committee very strange.
> >>He should enter the reactor and spend time in the core. :^0

> > The Committee finds you a waste of our time.

> How many of you are there?

The first meeting of the Advisory Committee on Uranium met on October
21, 1939 - a Saturday. In attendance were Lyman Briggs; Briggs'
assistant; Adamson for the Army; Hoover for the Navy; Alexander Sachs;
Leo Szilard; Eugene Wigner; Edward Teller; and Richard Roberts.
Teller represented Enrico Fermi who refused to attend because of a
dispute with the Navy Dept.

http://www.childrenofthemanhattanpro...TORY/H-04a.htm

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi wrote:
> UC wrote:
> > Professor wrote:

> >>Mike I disagree, I find uranium committee very strange.
> >>He should enter the reactor and spend time in the core. :^0

> > The Committee finds you a waste of our time.

> How many of you are there?

The first meeting of the Advisory Committee on Uranium met on October
21, 1939 - a Saturday. In attendance were Lyman Briggs; Briggs'
assistant; Adamson for the Army; Hoover for the Navy; Alexander Sachs;
Leo Szilard; Eugene Wigner; Edward Teller; and Richard Roberts.
Teller represented Enrico Fermi who refused to attend because of a
dispute with the Navy Dept.

http://www.childrenofthemanhattanpro...TORY/H-04a.htm

http://www.atomicarchive.com/History...ronology.shtml

Posted to alt.food.wine

Michael, The original poster asked ...

> >"Could you kind folk help me understand this wine better.
> >The bottle I had was very nice and I plan to drink more
> >but want to understand more about it before shopping for
> > it.

Then YOU replied "Sangiovese di Romagna?"

Then you wrote..... "WTF is wrong with you? Can't you read?"

Why don't YOU heed your own advice - the OP didn't ask for
recommendations - he asked our help to understand Sangiovese (in general)
and Italian Sangiovese (in particular)

So, instead of lambasting others who have suggested that this grape variety
is not only grown very successfully in countries other than I____, (there
are many Australians of Italian extraction making some wonderful wines with
Sangiovese!), get off your bloody high horse, and help the OP understand the
wine!!!!!!!

Unless you actually start writing constructive stuff in this forum, I don't
know why "you bother with us morons?"

So, do us morons a favour - immigrate to Italy (preferably somewhere in
deepest Umbria without an internet connection)!!

--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike, surely these must be some obscure little backwater where Mr. Scarpitti
can be banished!!!

He would probably get the shock of his life if he actually had to live
anywhere in Italy.

--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

"UC" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> miles wrote:
>> UC wrote:

>> > What did what you wrote have to do with this?:
>> >
>> > "In my continued exploration of italian reds I happened across a bottle
>> > of 2000 Sangiovese and enjoyed it very much. I have done a little
>> > research and am becoming confused about this wine. I keep reading that
>> > Sangiovese is a varietal used in making other wines such as Brunello
>> > and Chianti. However, the bottle I had was not a blend, or at least
>> > wasn't identified as such on the label. Could you kind folk help me
>> > understand this wine better. The bottle I had was very nice and I plan
>> > to drink more but want to understand more about it before shopping for
>> > it.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > Alan"

>> Geez. READ!!! Look above in this very message to what "RIC WROTE".
>> That is who I replied to, not Alan. Keep up with the threads before
>> inserting foot into mouth. Now apologize.

> I know you were replying to another post, but you were not responding
> to the question posed by the OP. You were continuing to go away from
> the original question, explicitly asked, about SANGIOVESE from ITALY.
> Why would anyone be concerned with Sangiovese wines from the uS?, when
> the grape is characteristically Italian. It is one of the most popular
> grapes in Italy, planted all over the middle and south.

Characteristically Italian??? Sorry, but the Italians do not own exclusive
rights to grow Sangiovese just as the French do not have exclusive rights to
the Cabernets Merlot, Pinot etc.

Posted to alt.food.wine

st.helier wrote:
> Michael, The original poster asked ...
>
> > >"Could you kind folk help me understand this wine better.
> > >The bottle I had was very nice and I plan to drink more
> > >but want to understand more about it before shopping for
> > > it.

> Then YOU replied "Sangiovese di Romagna?"
>
> Then you wrote..... "WTF is wrong with you? Can't you read?"
>
> Why don't YOU heed your own advice - the OP didn't ask for
> recommendations - he asked our help to understand Sangiovese (in general)
> and Italian Sangiovese (in particular)

He was unclear about what he had. I think it was Sangiovese di Romagna,
which is one of the few ITALIAN wines that are actually CALLED
'Sangiovese'.

Here's what he asked:

"In my continued exploration of italian reds I happened across a bottle
of 2000 Sangiovese and enjoyed it very much. I have done a little
research and am becoming confused about this wine. I keep reading that
Sangiovese is a varietal used in making other wines such as Brunello
and Chianti. However, the bottle I had was not a blend, or at least
wasn't identified as such on the label. Could you kind folk help me
understand this wine better. The bottle I had was very nice and I plan
to drink more but want to understand more about it before shopping for
it."

> So, instead of lambasting others who have suggested that this grape variety
> is not only grown very successfully in countries other than I____, (there
> are many Australians of Italian extraction making some wonderful wines with
> Sangiovese!), get off your bloody high horse, and help the OP understand the
> wine!!!!!!!

I did. None of you did.

> Unless you actually start writing constructive stuff in this forum, I don't
> know why "you bother with us morons?"
>
> So, do us morons a favour - immigrate to Italy (preferably somewhere in
> deepest Umbria without an internet connection)!!

Arabo!

> --
>
> st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

Professor wrote:
> "st.helier" > wrote in message
> > Mike, surely these must be some obscure little backwater where Mr.
> > Scarpitti can be banished!!!
> >
> > He would probably get the shock of his life if he actually had to live
> > anywhere in Italy. --
> > st.helier

> Mr. Scarpitti would really shock Italians by saying older wines are
> worthless because they've oxidized.

I never said that, you illiterate dweeb.

> His presence would reinforce the
> stereotype of boorish Americans. I'll be in Piedmont in just nine weeks.
> I'm bringing my Canadian sweater! ;^)

Posted to alt.food.wine

>He was unclear about what he had. I think it was Sangiovese di Romagna,
>which is one of the few ITALIAN wines that are actually CALLED
>'Sangiovese'.

FWIW I would have assumed he had tried an IGT wine

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Michael Scarpitti", demonstrating his creative literary capabilities
wrote.....

> I never said that, you illiterate dweeb.

The trouble is Michael, that you write very little which is constructive,
that we remember only the crap you expound!!!!!

Most of your posts either consist a link to someone else's opinion, or you
write some stupidly held personal thoughts which are at complete odds with
mainstream thinking and common sense.

You say: "drink wine - but don't taste" (most of us prefer to savour and
appreciate any and everything we put in our mouths).

You say: "wine will not stand any exposure to air, so put the cork straight
back in the bottle" - whereas most of us agree that the only thing which
should have a cork stuffed back into it is you!!!!!

You say "Italian wines are the only ones worth drinking", whereas people
with open minds appreciate all wines from all countries, and are willing to
concede that no matter how much we think we know, there is always someone
who knows more - and there is always more to learn.

You are obviously incapable of putting your own thoughts into words, because
you never taste anything - you just mix food and wine and swallow, with no
real sense of passion or emotion which you wish to share.

If you think that we, morons of the wine world as we are, should drink more
Italian wines, convince us!!!!!

Using your knowledge and passion, tell us why we should search high and low
for these wines - use passion, not insults.

And use your own words - not someone else's.

Then again, I know from experience you have the attention span of an ant,
and you cannot even read more than five lines without your eyes glazing
over - because you feel another insult coming on.

Get a life, Michael !!!!!!!

--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

UC wrote:

> I know you were replying to another post, but you were not responding
> to the question posed by the OP. You were continuing to go away from
> the original question, explicitly asked, about SANGIOVESE from ITALY.
> Why would anyone be concerned with Sangiovese wines from the uS?, when
> the grape is characteristically Italian. It is one of the most popular
> grapes in Italy, planted all over the middle and south.

So every post in a thread needs to be a direct response to the OP's
original post huh? Hmm...are you the moderator here? Good grief. It's
a discussion between friendly people...get over it already! Enjoy the
wine, the people and maybe learn something. Or...you could just whine
as you have. For me, I'd rather enjoy wine.

As for your question, because many of us enjoy the US sangiovese style.
If you don't then so be it. Funny thing about people. They don't all
like the same thing.
Posted to alt.food.wine

UC wrote:

>BS snipped for clarity.

Who put the 'Troll Wanted' sign out to which you responded anyways?
Posted to alt.food.wine

st.helier wrote:
> "Michael Scarpitti", demonstrating his creative literary capabilities
> wrote.....
> >
> > I never said that, you illiterate dweeb.
> >

> The trouble is Michael, that you write very little which is constructive,
> that we remember only the crap you expound!!!!!
>
> Most of your posts either consist a link to someone else's opinion, or you
> write some stupidly held personal thoughts which are at complete odds with
> mainstream thinking and common sense.
>
> You say: "drink wine - but don't taste" (most of us prefer to savour and
> appreciate any and everything we put in our mouths).
>
> You say: "wine will not stand any exposure to air, so put the cork straight
> back in the bottle" - whereas most of us agree that the only thing which
> should have a cork stuffed back into it is you!!!!!
>
> You say "Italian wines are the only ones worth drinking", whereas people
> with open minds appreciate all wines from all countries, and are willing to
> concede that no matter how much we think we know, there is always someone
> who knows more - and there is always more to learn.
>
> You are obviously incapable of putting your own thoughts into words, because
> you never taste anything - you just mix food and wine and swallow, with no
> real sense of passion or emotion which you wish to share.
>
> If you think that we, morons of the wine world as we are, should drink more
> Italian wines, convince us!!!!!
>
> Using your knowledge and passion, tell us why we should search high and low
> for these wines - use passion, not insults.
>
> And use your own words - not someone else's.
>
> Then again, I know from experience you have the attention span of an ant,
> and you cannot even read more than five lines without your eyes glazing
> over - because you feel another insult coming on.
>
> Get a life, Michael !!!!!!!
>
> --
>
> st.helier

To this I can only reply that the basic approaches to wine-making are
different in different countries. In F_____, they have some ridiculous
idea that the best wines will always come from a few selected plots of
land. In fact, the winemaker has much more say in the final product. In
Italy, crap wine and fantastic wine may be made from grapes grown in
the same area, even in the same vineyard. What matters is the maker's
approach and care. The really important thing worth knowing is the
wine-maker, above all else.

I recently had the pleasure of finding a fantastic wine - Avulisi -
from Sicily. It is made from Nero d'Avola grapes by Santa Tresa, and is
IGT. Apparently, there are not many DOC's in Sicily, so even the best
wines carry the IGT designation.

I have had Nero d'Avola from several different wineries (including
Regaleali), and I can say that Avulisi is in a league of its own. It is
very rich, extremely concentrated, intensively flavored,
well-structured, and well-balanced. You can get low-end Nero d'Avola
from Petraio for $5, but they don't even taste like the same grape! By
the way, the Petraio is an outstanding buy, but Avulisi is another
animal altogether.

The wine world is unfortunately dominated by what I call the "F_____
model". I say 'unfortunately' because many wines from other
wine-producing countries don't fit that mold. You cannot treat Italian
wines like F_____ ones. If you say you like to 'breathe' your Pomerol
or Médoc, go right ahead. I will <<not>> breathe my Cannonau, Barbera,
Velletri, Primitivo, Taurasi, Nero d'Avola, or Carignano del Sulcis.

To expect Italian wine to fit the F_____ model is absurd and stupid.
Italian wines and cooking are closely intertwined. The role of wine in
Italy is different. It is approached much less dogmatically, much less
theoretically. It was until recent times mostly a peasant's wine, and
still largely is. The snobbery that characterises the F_____ is almost
entirely absent. In the south especially, one finds bull-headed
traditionalists.

What area of the worl has the greatest potential for wine-making?
Sicily.

You heard it here first, my man.

Posted to alt.food.wine

UC wrote:

> What area of the worl has the greatest potential for wine-making?
> Sicily.

What other areas of the world are you knowledgeable with in regards to
wine-making potentials?
Posted to alt.food.wine

miles wrote:
> UC wrote:
>
> > What area of the world has the greatest potential for wine-making?
> > Sicily.

> What other areas of the world are you knowledgeable with in regards to
> wine-making potentials?

I should say "untapped potential". Sicily has nearly all the ideal
conditions for wine-making. The troubles are largely attitudes, the
Mafia, and politics.

Sangiovese Dinner Bill S. Wine 0 22-07-2009 03:12 PM
Sangiovese Recipe Help Nick[_3_] Winemaking 10 01-10-2007 10:24 PM
SANGIOVESE J J Levin Wine 5 12-01-2007 09:27 PM
Seghesio Sangiovese '99 eNo Wine 1 07-12-2005 04:27 PM
Sangiovese and Mushrooms Bill S. Wine 0 20-09-2005 03:00 PM