Posted to alt.food.wine

Default help with a Burgundy

The brownish color is normal for an aged wine. I am also unexperienced
with Burgundy wines, but I was cautioned that the one I bought may
taste more acidic than I might expect. (I bought it recently, and still
haven't opened it.). This thread may be helpful:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...3a5770/?hl=en#

Andy

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 18:57:35 +0100, Fei Chen > wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I'm not familiar with Burgundies so I was wondering if anyone can give me
>some opinion on this one. Last week when I opened a Hospices de Beaune
>1993 Cuvee Maurice Drouhin just bought from a local wine shop I found the
>wine appearing with a brown tint and tasting a bit sour. So I brought the
>wine back to the shop asking the owner if the wine could be cooked or over
>its prime. He first asked me if I knew Burgundy wines, which I said I
>didnt, and then proceeded on telling me that the Burgundy wine is supposed
>to have a brown color, given its age, and the little bit of sour tast is
>normal, and that the wine actually was excellent with a lot of fruit.
>
>Since I don't know how true Burgundies are supposed to taste, I was
>wondering if someone on this group can corroborate his answers?

Others with much more Burgundy expertise than I have will jump in
shortly, I'm certain. But for now, let me note that a brownish tint is
quite common in Burgundies and more likely in older wines. You'll also
encounter what is often referred to as a "brick" tint on Bordeaux.

One person's "sour" is not always the same as another's. But,
Burgundies are often mentioned as showing "funk" or "barnyard" or
"earth". My experience with Pinot Noir is that a bit of sourness is
often present, particularly shortly after opening. With a bit of time
in the glass, it will lessen or disappear. I also experience sour
notes with mass market US Pinot Noir, i.e., the less than $20/btl
range. Not all, but some.

I would believe your wine merchant. And, anyone stocking '93 Hospices
de Beaune is probably a pretty knowledgeable shopkeeper with a pretty
up-scale clientele. Probably not a place to pick up a forty of malt
liquor.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

Hi all,

I'm not familiar with Burgundies so I was wondering if anyone can give me
some opinion on this one. Last week when I opened a Hospices de Beaune
1993 Cuvee Maurice Drouhin just bought from a local wine shop I found the
wine appearing with a brown tint and tasting a bit sour. So I brought the
wine back to the shop asking the owner if the wine could be cooked or over
its prime. He first asked me if I knew Burgundy wines, which I said I
didnt, and then proceeded on telling me that the Burgundy wine is supposed
to have a brown color, given its age, and the little bit of sour tast is
normal, and that the wine actually was excellent with a lot of fruit.

Since I don't know how true Burgundies are supposed to taste, I was
wondering if someone on this group can corroborate his answers?

Thanks much for any help,

fei

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article .
uk>, says...

>Hi all,
>
>I'm not familiar with Burgundies so I was wondering if anyone can give me
>some opinion on this one. Last week when I opened a Hospices de Beaune
>1993 Cuvee Maurice Drouhin just bought from a local wine shop I found the
>wine appearing with a brown tint and tasting a bit sour. So I brought the
>wine back to the shop asking the owner if the wine could be cooked or over
>its prime. He first asked me if I knew Burgundy wines, which I said I
>didnt, and then proceeded on telling me that the Burgundy wine is supposed
>to have a brown color, given its age, and the little bit of sour tast is
>normal, and that the wine actually was excellent with a lot of fruit.
>
>Since I don't know how true Burgundies are supposed to taste, I was
>wondering if someone on this group can corroborate his answers?
>
>Thanks much for any help,
>
>fei

As others have mentioned, the "brick" color is rather common with older reds,
especially PN. Also, PN has a bit more acid, than many red varietals. This
usually makes it a better accompaniment to food, than some others. However,
there is also often some volitile acidity with PNs, and much of this blows off
in a short time after opening. Burgundies are not a red to pop and sip
immediately, especially with some age. Though seldom decanted, they tend to
develop in the glass, given a bit of time.

I'd hope that the retailer would instruct, rather than lecture you in regard
to this/these type(s) of wines, especially as helping one appreciate a higher
-end Burg will greatly help their business.

Hunt

Burgundy Mushrooms [email protected] General Cooking 10 19-12-2011 06:23 PM
TN: White Burgundy, Red Burgundy, Pink Burgundy DaleW Wine 1 11-03-2011 04:25 PM
TN: '07 Rheingau, '06 Burgundy DaleW Wine 1 23-02-2009 05:46 PM
Which Burgundy? Andrew Goldfinch Wine 13 28-02-2005 01:23 AM
LC-REC - Beef Burgundy Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 0 05-02-2005 01:32 AM