Andrew Goldfinch

Default Which Burgundy?

Hi All
I am organising a tasting in a few weeks titled "A world of Pinot Noir"
I have assembled 2 Oz Pinots, 1 from the Yarra Valley & 1 from the
Mornington Peninsula, a Kiwi Pinot & 1 from Oregon. I am very happy
with all these wines but as the glaring hole in my wine knowledge is
Europe, I am struggling to choose a good Burgundy. I am really after
something typical of the region, that a Francophile would identify as
Burgundian on first sniff, something that will help demonstrate to the
tasters the differences between New & Old World Pinots (the tasting is
paid for and largely for educational purposes, mostly intermediates
with a couple of know it alls thrown in). I've had a couple of wines
recommended to me from a merchant (who has been reasonably helpful in
the past and is helping to organise a guest speaker)and I'd like to
know if anybody has tasted either these particular wines or other
vintages. Also any recommendations for wines that you think might be
available here in Oz would also be great. My budget for the event is
around $80 - $90 Oz.

The recommended wines are -
Clavelier Vosne Roman=E9e "Hautes Maizi=E8res" 2002. $79.90
Clavelier Vosne Roman=E9e "La Combe Br=FBl=E9e" 2002. $86.90
Jean Grivot Vosne Roman=E9e "Les Bossi=E8res" 2001. $86.90
Jean Grivot Nuits St. Georges "Les Lavi=E8res" 2001. $71.90

The other wines I am using are -
2003 Coldstream Hills Pinot Noir - Yarra Valley $20
2001 Winbirra Vineyards Pinot Noir - Mornington Peninsula $25
2001 Argyle Reserve Pinot Noir - Willamette Valley, Oregon USA $50
2002 Ata Rangi Pinot Noir - Martinborough, New Zealand $70
I will post notes after the tasting. Thanks in advance
Cheers Andrew

The Jean Grivot Nuits St. Georges "Les Lavi=E8res" 2001 or his Les
Bossi=E8res should work very nicely.

Ian Hayward

Here's one of my favourite mid-price offerings:

http://www.everywine.co.uk/invt/41284&source=wsearcher

I am not an habitual PN drinker, but this is one of the nicest non-Kiwis
I've tried. I have no idea about availability in Oz, though.

Regards,

Ian

"Andrew Goldfinch" > wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Clavelier Vosne Romanée "Hautes Maizières" 2002. $79.90
Clavelier Vosne Romanée "La Combe Brûlée" 2002. $86.90
Jean Grivot Vosne Romanée "Les Bossières" 2001. $86.90
Jean Grivot Nuits St. Georges "Les Lavières" 2001. $71.90

The other wines I am using are -
2003 Coldstream Hills Pinot Noir - Yarra Valley $20
2001 Winbirra Vineyards Pinot Noir - Mornington Peninsula $25
2001 Argyle Reserve Pinot Noir - Willamette Valley, Oregon USA $50
2002 Ata Rangi Pinot Noir - Martinborough, New Zealand $70
I will post notes after the tasting. Thanks in advance
Cheers Andrew

Anders Tørneskog

"Ian Hayward" > skrev i melding
> Here's one of my favourite mid-price offerings:
>
> http://www.everywine.co.uk/invt/41284&source=wsearcher

You say mid-priced, at 217UKP a bottle?, 400USD?
Anders

Ian Hayward

That's a case of 12. I suppose everyone has their own idea of what
constitutes "mid-priced", but with the onerous tax burden here in UK I would
reckon £15 to £30/bottle to be a reasonable mid-range for Burgundy.

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote in message

> "Ian Hayward" > skrev i melding
> > Here's one of my favourite mid-price offerings:
> >
> > http://www.everywine.co.uk/invt/41284&source=wsearcher
> >

> You say mid-priced, at 217UKP a bottle?, 400USD?
> Anders

DaleW

Jean Grivot and Bruno Clavelier are both quality producers. I haven't
tasted any of these 4 bottlings. Personally, I'd go for one of the
Claveliers. My reasoning would be that 2002s all seem to be quite open
at moment, and some (though not all) 2001s have really shut down. Plus,
I personally feel that Vosne drinks better young than NSG. Just my
opinion.

Anders Tørneskog

"Ian Hayward" > skrev i melding
> That's a case of 12. I suppose everyone has their own idea of what
> constitutes "mid-priced", but with the onerous tax burden here in UK I
> would
> reckon £15 to £30/bottle to be a reasonable mid-range for Burgundy.

It didn't actually say the price was for quantities of 12.. You could buy
1, 2 or more - which of course was cases.
With the even more onerous tax burdens in Scandinavia, I think mid range
should be defined as 25-50£... :-( Reasonable? Hardly.
Anders

Art Stratemeyer

Hi Andrew,

>Jean Grivot Nuits St. Georges "Les Lavières" 2001. $71.90

I also would vote for the one above.

However, if you have access to any producers from the Bonnes Mares
region, IMHO that would provide a bit closer "match" for comparison.

While I've not had any of the wines you've listed below except for the
Argyle. I feel that often the new world pinots have a bit more
ooomphf than their burgundy counter parts. That's why I mentioned the
Bonnes Mares region where the pinots tend to be a bit fatter

Either way .. would really be interested in what your notes are after
the tasting

Art

>The other wines I am using are -
>2003 Coldstream Hills Pinot Noir - Yarra Valley $20
>2001 Winbirra Vineyards Pinot Noir - Mornington Peninsula $25
>2001 Argyle Reserve Pinot Noir - Willamette Valley, Oregon USA $50
>2002 Ata Rangi Pinot Noir - Martinborough, New Zealand $70
>I will post notes after the tasting. Thanks in advance
>Cheers Andrew

Art Stratemeyer
=============================
http://www.stratsplace.com
A Community Celebration the Joy of Wine,Gardening and the Arts

Cellar! Wine Software
http://www.cellarwinesoftware.com
Andrew Goldfinch

Thanks all, I have decided to go with the Jean Grivot "Les Lavi=E8res" .
I will post the notes after the tasting on 14 Feb. Cheers Andrew

Why? Why don't you cook FOOD and DRINK them?

Tasting? Don't waste your time....

Redhart

[...]

Burgundy Mushrooms [email protected] General Cooking 10 19-12-2011 06:23 PM
TN: White Burgundy, Red Burgundy, Pink Burgundy DaleW Wine 1 11-03-2011 04:25 PM
TN: '07 Rheingau, '06 Burgundy DaleW Wine 1 23-02-2009 05:46 PM
help with a Burgundy AyTee Wine 3 14-04-2006 05:10 PM
LC-REC - Beef Burgundy Damsel in dis Dress General Cooking 0 05-02-2005 01:32 AM