Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Freemark Abbey Cabernet Bosche 1978

This bottle of Freemark Abbey Cabernet(Sauvignon)Bosche 1978 was
properly stored since shortly after release and the fill was still in
the neck. The color is still quite deep with only a little age showing
around the rim. The bouquet and taste are both quite intense. There is
much cassis and other dark stone fruit with a touch typical Napa
eucalyptus herbal character. The wine is not over oaked, as are some of
the 70s, but it would take quite a bit of oak indeed to overpower this
very intense wine. This is a very large wine, even for one from the
70s. The finish is fairly long. There is enough acid, but it could
stand a bit more for my taste. The wine is nearly port-like in
intensity. There is still tannin, but it now is smooth. However there
is a hint of oxidation. It might not bother some people, but I do not
like this in a red wine, but I am a bit more tolerant for some sweet
white wines. This could just be a slightly off bottle. I still have 2
bottles, so I will retaste it before too long.

Posted to alt.food.wine

I don't know what happened to Freemark Abbey in the 80/90s but they seem to
have disappeared. I think Charles Carpy was one of the owners. Their
Edelwein was the first botytis infected wine I tasted from California then
St Jean, Phelps & Raymond climbed aboard. IIRC the Cab Bosche's were not
tannic monsters and stylistically were similar to Ch Montelena's of that
era. More St Julien in style than any other Medoc model. I was to an early
Napa Wine Auction and had dinner or lunch at Freemark Abbey, London Broil
with I think their York Creek Petite Sirah.
Some of FA's partners also were involved in Rutherford Hill.
"cwdjrxyz" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> This bottle of Freemark Abbey Cabernet(Sauvignon)Bosche 1978 was
> properly stored since shortly after release and the fill was still in
> the neck. The color is still quite deep with only a little age showing
> around the rim. The bouquet and taste are both quite intense. There is
> much cassis and other dark stone fruit with a touch typical Napa
> eucalyptus herbal character. The wine is not over oaked, as are some of
> the 70s, but it would take quite a bit of oak indeed to overpower this
> very intense wine. This is a very large wine, even for one from the
> 70s. The finish is fairly long. There is enough acid, but it could
> stand a bit more for my taste. The wine is nearly port-like in
> intensity. There is still tannin, but it now is smooth. However there
> is a hint of oxidation. It might not bother some people, but I do not
> like this in a red wine, but I am a bit more tolerant for some sweet
> white wines. This could just be a slightly off bottle. I still have 2
> bottles, so I will retaste it before too long.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Joe "Beppe"Rosenberg wrote:
> I don't know what happened to Freemark Abbey in the 80/90s but they seem to
> have disappeared. I think Charles Carpy was one of the owners. Their
> Edelwein was the first botytis infected wine I tasted from California then
> St Jean, Phelps & Raymond climbed aboard. IIRC the Cab Bosche's were not
> tannic monsters and stylistically were similar to Ch Montelena's of that
> era. More St Julien in style than any other Medoc model. I was to an early
> Napa Wine Auction and had dinner or lunch at Freemark Abbey, London Broil
> with I think their York Creek Petite Sirah.
> Some of FA's partners also were involved in Rutherford Hill.

Having had Freemark's Bosche from 72,73,74, and 76, I was surprised by
the intensity of the 78. The other mentioned vintages were fairly full
by today's standards, but in the middle range for the 70's. The 74 was
still holding fairly well recently. Of course the 78 is not nearly as
massive as some of the big Cabernets of the 70's era. I need only
mention some of the monster Cabernets that David Bruce made back then.

I still have a bottle or two of Freemark's Edelwein(LH riesling) 73
which may have been their first Edelwein vintage. Perhaps you can
correct me if my memory is faulty. It is of about BA richness and still
is holding fairly well, although it has seen better days. I also have
their premiun Edelwein Gold 76 which is of about TBA richness -
outstanding and still holding well. The Edelwein 78 is still decent,
but not as good as the 76. I also have a few half bottles of Edelwein
Gold 91, but I have not yet tasted it.It has 21% residual sugar.
I have had some of Freemark's Petite Sirah from the 70s. The best I
remember, they had plenty of body, but not nearly as much as some of
the monsters from that era. I still have a bottle of the 79.

I also have some half bottles of late harvest rieslings from St. Jean,
Phelps, Raymond, and Veedercrest. A 78 selected late harvest from
Phelps is quite a sticky with 30% residual sugar, but it has enough
acid and body to handle that, and it still is drinking very well. These
wines did not sell well in my area despite the fact that they cost
considerably less than BAs and TBAs from the better German estates(then
rather inexpensive by today's standards). After tasting a few I bought
out what a few local stores had received. People just did not seem to
know what to do with such sweet and rich wines, despite their quality.