Posted to alt.food.wine
Tom S

Default Dehlinger Pinot Noir

For those of you who don't know his wines, Tom Dehlinger has made a
reputation for great Russian River (Sonoma County, California) Pinot Noirs.

I just popped a bottle of the 1998 "Goldridge". I had been a little
apprehensive about it, since my last experience with a Dehlinger Pinot Noir
was the extremely un-remarkable 1997, which (a few months ago) seemed tired
and lacking fruit.

I don't remember what vineyard that 1997 was from, but it definitely wasn't
the "Octagon". I never bought enough of his wines from the mailing list to
qualify for that, and that being the case decided several years ago not to
buy anything at all - at least not by mail.

Anyway, I'm pleased to report that the 1998 is a hell of a lot better wine
than the 1997! Although it isn't at all Burgundian, it isn't the jam in
your face style of California Pinot (which I happen to like) either. It's
rich, supple and elegant with overtones of pepper, a bit of tar and mature
fruit, and it is entering its prime. It has considerable alcohol, but
enough fruit to carry it in balance. If you have some, you could either try
it or hold it - depending on how old you like your Pinots.

Tom S
www.chateauburbank.com

Posted to alt.food.wine
Mark Lipton

Tom S wrote:
> For those of you who don't know his wines, Tom Dehlinger has made a
> reputation for great Russian River (Sonoma County, California) Pinot Noirs.

And long before that, he was making excellent, value-conscious wines.
It was his '78 Zin that really opened my eyes to how complex a wine
could be. I think that it cost me all of $4 or so.

> Anyway, I'm pleased to report that the 1998 is a hell of a lot better wine
> than the 1997! Although it isn't at all Burgundian, it isn't the jam in
> your face style of California Pinot (which I happen to like) either. It's
> rich, supple and elegant with overtones of pepper, a bit of tar and mature
> fruit, and it is entering its prime. It has considerable alcohol, but
> enough fruit to carry it in balance. If you have some, you could either try
> it or hold it - depending on how old you like your Pinots.

That's good to hear, Tom. As we're not on the mailing list, my
encounters with his wines are rather hit-and-miss these days. My last
Dehlinger Pinot was probably the '96 Goldridge, which was superb. I
agree that it's not likely to be mistaken for Burgundy (or Oregon), but
it is certainly far more refined than most of what comes out of RRV
these days (Gary Farrell and Williams-Selyem excluded).

Mark Lipton

Pinot Noir aesthete8 Wine 6 11-12-2010 04:48 PM
Best Pinot Noir within $40 revisited Professor Wine 3 12-12-2006 03:47 AM
Best Pinot Noir within $40? Professor Wine 31 11-12-2006 02:22 AM
Pinot Noir Mike Winemaking 9 11-09-2004 12:45 AM
Pinot Noir ernie Winemaking 4 10-04-2004 10:08 PM