Fred

Default Chateau Petrus

How do you pronounce Chateau Petrus? I see many auction catalogs and web
pages that put an accent aigu over the first e. The label doesn't have one.
I have always pronounced it pe-TRUSS. I have heard PAY-truss. A friend of
mine says, and I just heard on TV, pay-TROOS or pe-TROOS. I also tried in
vain to find a copy of the label on the net. Does anyone know where it is?
I know i have a bottle of it in my cellar, but I can't find it. It is
probably on the bottom in the back where my currently awful back can't get
to it.

Fred.
Fred

Fred > wrote in news:OTlZe.81832$DW1.6185@fed1read06:

> How do you pronounce Chateau Petrus? I see many auction catalogs and
> web pages that put an accent aigu over the first e. The label doesn't
> have one. I have always pronounced it pe-TRUSS. I have heard
> PAY-truss. A friend of mine says, and I just heard on TV, pay-TROOS or
> pe-TROOS. I also tried in vain to find a copy of the label on the net.
> Does anyone know where it is? I know i have a bottle of it in my
> cellar, but I can't find it. It is probably on the bottom in the back
> where my currently awful back can't get to it.

What's wrong with this picture?
http://www.thewinenews.com/aprmay98/petrus.html

Fred.
DaleW

The accent isn't usually put on capital letters, such as on the label.
But it is there. I'd say prh-TROOS.

Yves

The accent is on the second syllable, and the correct pronounciation would
be pe-TRÜSS (with the ü vowel that exists in French, German, even Turkish,
but curiously enough neither in English nor in Spanish or Italian).

Btw, if your back is too bad to allow you to look for the bottle, I am sure
some participants of this NG would volunteer to help you in finding,
uncorking and tasting it!

Regards

Yves

"Fred" > wrote in message
> How do you pronounce Chateau Petrus? I see many auction catalogs and web
> pages that put an accent aigu over the first e. The label doesn't have
> one.
> I have always pronounced it pe-TRUSS. I have heard PAY-truss. A friend of
> mine says, and I just heard on TV, pay-TROOS or pe-TROOS. I also tried in
> vain to find a copy of the label on the net. Does anyone know where it is?
> I know i have a bottle of it in my cellar, but I can't find it. It is
> probably on the bottom in the back where my currently awful back can't get
> to it.
>
> Fred.

Michael Pronay

"Yves" > wrote:

> The accent is on the second syllable, and the correct
> pronounciation would be pe-TRÜSS

And be sure to pronounce the "pe" as in "pay", not as in "pee".

M.

Michael Pronay

Fred > wrote:

> What's wrong with this picture?
> http://www.thewinenews.com/aprmay98/petrus.html

Nothing. Why should it?

M.
DaleW

"prh-TROOS"

Obviously the r is a typo, I meant peh-TROOS. With the "eh" somewhere
between a as in the English word "pay" and a as in "apply". I used to
say pay-TROSS till I was gently corrected by a Moueix rep. But I won't
argue with the two Michaels if they say it's pay- he might have
corrected me due to the residual of my Southern accent, which is most
noticable on long "a" and "i" sounds.

DaleW

" I used to say pay-TROSS "

I'm Mr. Typo this weekend, I used to say pay-TROOS

Cwdjrx _

I just looked at bottles of the 1971 and 1982 Petrus. The label is quite
simple. There is a picture of St. Peter. Next is the vintage date. Next
is PETRUS in red, large, fancy upper case letters with no special marks.
Next is POMEROL in somewhat smaller upper case. The name Chateau is not
included before PETRUS. At the lower part of the label in small print is
the usual information one finds on a Bordeaux label, such as who made
the wine, etc. I do not know if there are any changes since the 1982. I
quit buying Petrus after the 1982 vintage, as the price escaped the
solar system and now has escalated to outsde of our galaxy. I recently
recieved a pre-arrival offer of a recent vintage for a few cents short
of US$ 2000. per singe bottle. The 1971 cost about US$ 35 on release.

Reply to .

mike

BTW.

The Berry Bos. & Rudd site (www.bbr.com) gives sound files for the french wines it
stocks. Look for the little speaker icon before the Chateau name on the wine producer's
individual page.

PS. (This is the only reason I know how to pronounce Pauillac).

"Fred" > wrote in message news:OTlZe.81832$DW1.6185@fed1read06...
> How do you pronounce Chateau Petrus? I see many auction catalogs and web
> pages that put an accent aigu over the first e. The label doesn't have one.
> I have always pronounced it pe-TRUSS. I have heard PAY-truss. A friend of
> mine says, and I just heard on TV, pay-TROOS or pe-TROOS. I also tried in
> vain to find a copy of the label on the net. Does anyone know where it is?
> I know i have a bottle of it in my cellar, but I can't find it. It is
> probably on the bottom in the back where my currently awful back can't get
> to it.
>
> Fred.

jcoulter

"mike" > wrote in news:8lXZe.363$RW.133
@fe2.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

> www.bbr.com

couldn't find any sound file markers, there is perhaps a trick, or just not
friendly to Yanks?

--
Joseph Coulter
Cruises and Vacations

mike

My sincere apologies if I did not describe the location too well.

On the home page click the Wine Producers link at the top of the page,
then scroll down to, in this case, Petrus,(in the red bordeaux section),
click the link and the blue icon to the sound file is immediately to the left of
'Petrus' name. Under the words 'Go Shopping'.

Hope this helps,
mike

"jcoulter" > wrote in message

> couldn't find any sound file markers, there is perhaps a trick, or just not
> friendly to Yanks?

Yves

By the way, the "chteau" in Petrus is silent... I might be splitting hairs,
but for whatever reason (typical Bordelais humbleness?) there is no chteau
in front of the name Petrus on the label, although it obviously says "mis en
bouteille au chteau".

So if you want to make sure that nobody corrects you on the prononciation,
just refer to it as Petrus...

Yves

"Michael Pronay" > wrote in message
> "Yves" > wrote:
>
>> The accent is on the second syllable, and the correct
>> pronounciation would be pe-TRÜSS

> And be sure to pronounce the "pe" as in "pay", not as in "pee".
>
> M.

Michael Pronay

"Yves" > wrote:

> By the way, the "chteau" in Petrus is silent... I might be
> splitting hairs, but for whatever reason (typical Bordelais
> humbleness?) there is no chteau in front of the name Petrus on
> the label, although it obviously says "mis en bouteille au
> chteau".

That's hairsplitting indeed. Cos d'Estournel for quite a long time
hasn't had the mention of "Chteau" on the label. Other labels
without naming "Chteau" include Marojallia (Margaux), Gressier
Grand Poujeaux (Moulis), Le Pin (Pomerol), La Mondotte
(St-Émilion), and, last, but in no ways least, Léoville Las Cases.

> So if you want to make sure that nobody corrects you on the
> prononciation, just refer to it as Petrus...

Nope. "Chteau Pétrus" is in no ways wrong, it's the correct name.
It now even says so on the label, the proprietor being "S[ociété]
C[ivile] du Chteau Pétrus":

<http://image.www.rakuten.co.jp/wine-w/img10371069321.jpeg>

M.

TN: Chateau Petrus 1971 cwdjrxyz Wine 0 12-12-2011 11:02 PM
TN Chateau Petrus 1979 cwdjrxyz Wine 2 21-12-2009 09:27 PM
Chateau Petrus availability? Bi!! Wine 1 17-10-2009 09:08 PM
TN Chateau Palmer 1979 and Chateau La Gaffeliere 1964 cwdjrxyz Wine 1 17-09-2007 03:26 PM
TN Chateau Petrus 1973 - followup Cwdjrx _ Wine 3 21-12-2003 07:33 PM