Default How to enjoy a chard?

I'm going to open a gift bottle of 2000 Stags Leap Chardonnay tonight,
and I'm a complete novice to the grape. A good argument could be made
that I know nothing about wine period. I enjoy certain reds, though
have struggled thus far with the whites. A friend brought it in
straight from Napa, where he lives, and it's been in the fridge for the
past couple of weeks. The plan is to get some sushi and open 'er up
this evening. Two things:

- How long should I let it sit out at room temp before drinking?
- Should I let it breathe during this warming up window?

Regards,

Ben

Hunt

In article >,
says...

wrote in news:1120340041.340525.312920
:

>> I'm going to open a gift bottle of 2000 Stags Leap Chardonnay tonight,
>> and I'm a complete novice to the grape. A good argument could be made
>> that I know nothing about wine period. I enjoy certain reds, though
>> have struggled thus far with the whites. A friend brought it in
>> straight from Napa, where he lives, and it's been in the fridge for the
>> past couple of weeks. The plan is to get some sushi and open 'er up
>> this evening. Two things:
>>
>> - How long should I let it sit out at room temp before drinking?
>> - Should I let it breathe during this warming up window?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Ben
>>

>You may be a tad chilled for some palates. Breathing is not necessary and
>if the wine isn't presenting much you can cup your hand on the bowl to heat
>her up. Fridge is a bit too cold for most wines other than champagnes, but
>some people, like my wife insist on their whites being that cool. To each
>their own.
>
>--
>Joseph Coulter
>Cruises and Vacations

http://www.josephcoulter.com/

I agree with Joseph, regarding the serving temp.

Another thought would be to substitute another white with the sushi. With the
sashimi-type seafood, a lighter, more acidic, mineraly Chard, or even better,
a Sauvignon Blanc, might pair better. I'd be thinking Chablis, Sancere, or go
for a more fruit-forward new world SB if you have much spice/heat, especially
from wasabi. Also, these wines might well be served a bit cooler, than a
bigger new world Chard.

Hunt

Steve Slatcher

On 3 Jul 2005 16:45:09 GMT, (Hunt) wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>>You may be a tad chilled for some palates. Breathing is not necessary and
>>if the wine isn't presenting much you can cup your hand on the bowl to heat
>>her up. Fridge is a bit too cold for most wines other than champagnes, but
>>some people, like my wife insist on their whites being that cool. To each
>>their own.
>>
>>--
>>Joseph Coulter
>>Cruises and Vacations

http://www.josephcoulter.com/

>I agree with Joseph, regarding the serving temp.

Most probably would agree, but I'd probably agree with Joseph's wife.
Depends also of course on how cold your firidge is.

Ben - what I'd suggest is that you take it straight out of the fridge
and try some, but keep the bottle at room temp and see how it changes
as it warms up. Then you will know how YOU prefer it.

There are also those think decanting improves white wine, but I agree
most would not normally (in the absence of faults) bother allowing
breathing time for white wines. Again, if it really concerns you try
it and see.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher

Enjoy Brooklyn1 General Cooking 8 05-08-2014 09:02 PM
Enjoy Under The Tuscan Sun... Italy Travel Sushi 0 12-07-2007 10:47 AM
will you enjoy this as much as me? Virgil Caine is the name General Cooking 4 20-06-2007 02:44 PM
A few more Recipes for all to enjoy Gary General Cooking 0 11-10-2005 12:39 PM
Enjoy!!!!!!!!! Misia Restaurants 2 27-02-2004 12:01 AM