Andre

Default Portuguese Wines

Hi,

I am returning to this group after about 7 years now. I am surprised
because people here are talking very interesting topics: the group is
much better than when I "leave".

I am organizing dinners (about one by month) to my friends, helping then
to know a little more about wine (I am not an expert; I know only the
very basic) and we are going to tht 4th dinner.
The first one was "classic grapes" (Cab Sauv, Merlot, Chard, Sauv Blanc,
Syrah) from the new world (Argentina, South Africa, Australia, Chile).
The second one "basic France" (same "grapes", old world) and the third
one "Italy" (different character wines).

Now I am planning "Portugal", because we are in Brazil and portuguese
wines are very common here. We are used to pick 5 wines (more than that
spoils proper tasting, IMO). My first idea is to select:
Vinho Verde (white)
Bucelas (white)
Dão (red)
Alentejo (red)
Porto (ruby)

"Second" options are Dão (white), Bairrada (red) and Douro (red). Is
there a region that I am overlooking? My major doubt is about Bucelas.
Is there another white wine that I can select?

Best Regards,

Andre.
Andre

Andre escreveu:
> Hi,
>
> I am returning to this group after about 7 years now. I am surprised
> because people here are talking very interesting topics: the group is
> much better than when I "leave".
> <snip>
> Now I am planning "Portugal", because we are in Brazil and portuguese
> wines are very common here. We are used to pick 5 wines (more than that
> spoils proper tasting, IMO). My first idea is to select:
> Vinho Verde (white)
> Bucelas (white)
> Dão (red)
> Alentejo (red)
> Porto (ruby)
>
> "Second" options are Dão (white), Bairrada (red) and Douro (red). Is
> there a region that I am overlooking? My major doubt is about Bucelas.
> Is there another white wine that I can select?
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Andre.

No comments? Are portuguese wines so unknown outside there?
MikeD

And

Sorry I can't offer much. So far I've only had the pleasure of trying
the Espiral Vinho Verde. It wasn't the best white I've had, but it
wasn't that bad.

http://www.webwinerack.com/reviews/r...4espvinhoverde

-Mike

http://www.webwinerack.com - Wine, Wine Reviews, and Wine Information

Andre wrote:
> Andre escreveu:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am returning to this group after about 7 years now. I am surprised
>> because people here are talking very interesting topics: the group is
>> much better than when I "leave".
>> <snip>
>> Now I am planning "Portugal", because we are in Brazil and portuguese
>> wines are very common here. We are used to pick 5 wines (more than
>> that spoils proper tasting, IMO). My first idea is to select:
>> Vinho Verde (white)
>> Bucelas (white)
>> Dão (red)
>> Alentejo (red)
>> Porto (ruby)
>>
>> "Second" options are Dão (white), Bairrada (red) and Douro (red). Is
>> there a region that I am overlooking? My major doubt is about Bucelas.
>> Is there another white wine that I can select?
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Andre.

> No comments? Are portuguese wines so unknown outside there?

Cwdjrx _

My experience with Portugese table wines is a little limited. I do like
Vintage Madeira and have a colection of it going well back into the
1800s. I like it better than Oporto. Fonseca's Moscatel de Setubal can
be outstandng in the old vintage wines such as 1934 and the legendary
Torna Viagem. The more recent non-vintage 25 year old is decent, but can
only hint at what this wine can be. You should taste the legendary
Colares if you get a chance. Recent vintages are not what they used to
be and mature much faster than in the past. A young classic Colares was
one of the darkest and most tannic red table wines you will find, and
might require decades to become smooth. Prouction is extremely small.
The top red table wine made in Portugal perhaps is Barca Velha made in
the Douro by Ferreira. Production is very small, and it is extremely
expensive and difficult to find in most countries. There is a whole new
generation of fine Portugese reds in a variety of areas, but I have not
had enough experience with these to comment.

Reply to .

DaleW

Sorry, but other than vinho verde (white, I know there's red vinho
verde but seldom see) I just don't see enough in my local stores to be
much help.

I've enjoyed a Douro red called Quinto do Crasto, which I think is made
of Tinta Roriz (which I think is tempranillo?).

Welcome back to group. I'm going to my first tasting of Brazilian
cabernets next week- top 3 wines of a winery called Miolo. Any comments?

Andre

DaleW escreveu:
> Sorry, but other than vinho verde (white, I know there's red vinho
> verde but seldom see) I just don't see enough in my local stores to be
> much help.
>
> I've enjoyed a Douro red called Quinto do Crasto, which I think is made
> of Tinta Roriz (which I think is tempranillo?).
>
> Welcome back to group. I'm going to my first tasting of Brazilian
> cabernets next week- top 3 wines of a winery called Miolo. Any comments?

Brazil has not a good climate to red wines, but some are fine. Best
vintages are 1999, 2002 and 2005 is promising.
Miolo has a good reputation, but I don't like their wines very much. I
think good Miolos are overpriced compared to anything else you can buy.
What will you be tasting? Miolo Reserva? Lote 43?

If you want to try the best from Brazil, try sparkling wines. Miolo's is
also good.

Thanks for the comments.
Beaker

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:09:42 -0300, Andre quoth:

> No comments? Are portuguese wines so unknown outside there?

It can be difficult to find Portugese wines other than porto in much of
the US. I like Portugese and Spanish wines a lot - they're a pretty good
value and I bought many Douro reds when I lived in a big mainland city.
Madiera and Douro reds are hard to find in a little town in Hawaii.
I'd like to bring some back from Minneapolis next month, but they won't
store well in the tropical soup we call "air" here.

bkr

Beaker