Emery Davis

Default 88 Beaucastel

Our son turned 6, and had quite specific requests for the dinner menu. Quail
with bread stuffing, mashed potatoes and chives, buttered peas. To drink
Champommy, but also a good Chateauneuf du Pape he could taste. An
excellent choice with the meal! <g> (Oh, and I didn't mention the green cake
from the Monet cookbook he asked for. Adele concocted something simpler
but used the spinach method to dye buttercream green, worked great.)

He liked the Beaucastel too, and it even ellicited commentary beyond the
classic "very grapey." The comment below is, however, mine not his:

An elegant but full nose with chocolate, sweet cassis and tar. In the mouth
very finely structured, tannins nicely resolved, not too sweet or outgoing
but very long and layered, really holding up nicely. Some leather, spice,
black fruits. Really delicious.

I have some more of these and will now start trotting them out as the
occasion demands.

Another wine from another night, '90 Grandis Haut Medoc Cru Bourgeois.
This is an estate that has largely been passed over by the critics, and
I believe the price still reflects it. Made in the old style, it is honestly
not very attractive young. But for the patient it's tremendous value,
big and brooding, dark fruit under a big structure, leather and slate.
Almost similar to a good St Estephe. We know the family who owns
the estate socially, but have become clients because of the very solid
value.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
Trahder

I think exposing children to adult tastes makes for a more well rounded
individual in time. Take the little guy to a good Brothel ASAP. Much
better than wine.
"Emery Davis" > wrote in message
. ..
> Our son turned 6, and had quite specific requests for the dinner menu.
> Quail
> with bread stuffing, mashed potatoes and chives, buttered peas. To drink
> Champommy, but also a good Chateauneuf du Pape he could taste. An
> excellent choice with the meal! <g> (Oh, and I didn't mention the green
> cake
> from the Monet cookbook he asked for. Adele concocted something simpler
> but used the spinach method to dye buttercream green, worked great.)
>
> He liked the Beaucastel too, and it even ellicited commentary beyond the
> classic "very grapey." The comment below is, however, mine not his:
>
> An elegant but full nose with chocolate, sweet cassis and tar. In the
> mouth
> very finely structured, tannins nicely resolved, not too sweet or outgoing
> but very long and layered, really holding up nicely. Some leather, spice,
> black fruits. Really delicious.
>
> I have some more of these and will now start trotting them out as the
> occasion demands.
>
> Another wine from another night, '90 Grandis Haut Medoc Cru Bourgeois.
> This is an estate that has largely been passed over by the critics, and
> I believe the price still reflects it. Made in the old style, it is
> honestly
> not very attractive young. But for the patient it's tremendous value,
> big and brooding, dark fruit under a big structure, leather and slate.
> Almost similar to a good St Estephe. We know the family who owns
> the estate socially, but have become clients because of the very solid
> value.
>
> -E
> --
> Emery Davis
> You can reply to
> by removing the well known companies

Trahder

I think exposing children to adult tastes makes for a more well rounded
individual in time. Take the little guy to a good Brothel ASAP. Much
better than wine.
"Emery Davis" > wrote in message
. ..
> Our son turned 6, and had quite specific requests for the dinner menu.
> Quail
> with bread stuffing, mashed potatoes and chives, buttered peas. To drink
> Champommy, but also a good Chateauneuf du Pape he could taste. An
> excellent choice with the meal! <g> (Oh, and I didn't mention the green
> cake
> from the Monet cookbook he asked for. Adele concocted something simpler
> but used the spinach method to dye buttercream green, worked great.)
>
> He liked the Beaucastel too, and it even ellicited commentary beyond the
> classic "very grapey." The comment below is, however, mine not his:
>
> An elegant but full nose with chocolate, sweet cassis and tar. In the
> mouth
> very finely structured, tannins nicely resolved, not too sweet or outgoing
> but very long and layered, really holding up nicely. Some leather, spice,
> black fruits. Really delicious.
>
> I have some more of these and will now start trotting them out as the
> occasion demands.
>
> Another wine from another night, '90 Grandis Haut Medoc Cru Bourgeois.
> This is an estate that has largely been passed over by the critics, and
> I believe the price still reflects it. Made in the old style, it is
> honestly
> not very attractive young. But for the patient it's tremendous value,
> big and brooding, dark fruit under a big structure, leather and slate.
> Almost similar to a good St Estephe. We know the family who owns
> the estate socially, but have become clients because of the very solid
> value.
>
> -E
> --
> Emery Davis
> You can reply to
> by removing the well known companies

dick neidich

Well, getting your kid drunk. Michael Jackson allegedly gave kids Wine in
Coke Cans and called it "jesus juice."

Hope that you use better discretion that that...use Pepsi cans. :-)

"Emery Davis" > wrote in message
. ..
> Our son turned 6, and had quite specific requests for the dinner menu.
> Quail
> with bread stuffing, mashed potatoes and chives, buttered peas. To drink
> Champommy, but also a good Chateauneuf du Pape he could taste. An
> excellent choice with the meal! <g> (Oh, and I didn't mention the green
> cake
> from the Monet cookbook he asked for. Adele concocted something simpler
> but used the spinach method to dye buttercream green, worked great.)
>
> He liked the Beaucastel too, and it even ellicited commentary beyond the
> classic "very grapey." The comment below is, however, mine not his:
>
> An elegant but full nose with chocolate, sweet cassis and tar. In the
> mouth
> very finely structured, tannins nicely resolved, not too sweet or outgoing
> but very long and layered, really holding up nicely. Some leather, spice,
> black fruits. Really delicious.
>
> I have some more of these and will now start trotting them out as the
> occasion demands.
>
> Another wine from another night, '90 Grandis Haut Medoc Cru Bourgeois.
> This is an estate that has largely been passed over by the critics, and
> I believe the price still reflects it. Made in the old style, it is
> honestly
> not very attractive young. But for the patient it's tremendous value,
> big and brooding, dark fruit under a big structure, leather and slate.
> Almost similar to a good St Estephe. We know the family who owns
> the estate socially, but have become clients because of the very solid
> value.
>
> -E
> --
> Emery Davis
> You can reply to
> by removing the well known companies

dick neidich

Well, getting your kid drunk. Michael Jackson allegedly gave kids Wine in
Coke Cans and called it "jesus juice."

Hope that you use better discretion that that...use Pepsi cans. :-)

"Emery Davis" > wrote in message
. ..
> Our son turned 6, and had quite specific requests for the dinner menu.
> Quail
> with bread stuffing, mashed potatoes and chives, buttered peas. To drink
> Champommy, but also a good Chateauneuf du Pape he could taste. An
> excellent choice with the meal! <g> (Oh, and I didn't mention the green
> cake
> from the Monet cookbook he asked for. Adele concocted something simpler
> but used the spinach method to dye buttercream green, worked great.)
>
> He liked the Beaucastel too, and it even ellicited commentary beyond the
> classic "very grapey." The comment below is, however, mine not his:
>
> An elegant but full nose with chocolate, sweet cassis and tar. In the
> mouth
> very finely structured, tannins nicely resolved, not too sweet or outgoing
> but very long and layered, really holding up nicely. Some leather, spice,
> black fruits. Really delicious.
>
> I have some more of these and will now start trotting them out as the
> occasion demands.
>
> Another wine from another night, '90 Grandis Haut Medoc Cru Bourgeois.
> This is an estate that has largely been passed over by the critics, and
> I believe the price still reflects it. Made in the old style, it is
> honestly
> not very attractive young. But for the patient it's tremendous value,
> big and brooding, dark fruit under a big structure, leather and slate.
> Almost similar to a good St Estephe. We know the family who owns
> the estate socially, but have become clients because of the very solid
> value.
>
> -E
> --
> Emery Davis
> You can reply to
> by removing the well known companies

dick neidich

Well, getting your kid drunk. Michael Jackson allegedly gave kids Wine in
Coke Cans and called it "jesus juice."

Hope that you use better discretion that that...use Pepsi cans. :-)

"Emery Davis" > wrote in message
. ..
> Our son turned 6, and had quite specific requests for the dinner menu.
> Quail
> with bread stuffing, mashed potatoes and chives, buttered peas. To drink
> Champommy, but also a good Chateauneuf du Pape he could taste. An
> excellent choice with the meal! <g> (Oh, and I didn't mention the green
> cake
> from the Monet cookbook he asked for. Adele concocted something simpler
> but used the spinach method to dye buttercream green, worked great.)
>
> He liked the Beaucastel too, and it even ellicited commentary beyond the
> classic "very grapey." The comment below is, however, mine not his:
>
> An elegant but full nose with chocolate, sweet cassis and tar. In the
> mouth
> very finely structured, tannins nicely resolved, not too sweet or outgoing
> but very long and layered, really holding up nicely. Some leather, spice,
> black fruits. Really delicious.
>
> I have some more of these and will now start trotting them out as the
> occasion demands.
>
> Another wine from another night, '90 Grandis Haut Medoc Cru Bourgeois.
> This is an estate that has largely been passed over by the critics, and
> I believe the price still reflects it. Made in the old style, it is
> honestly
> not very attractive young. But for the patient it's tremendous value,
> big and brooding, dark fruit under a big structure, leather and slate.
> Almost similar to a good St Estephe. We know the family who owns
> the estate socially, but have become clients because of the very solid
> value.
>
> -E
> --
> Emery Davis
> You can reply to
> by removing the well known companies

Mark Lipton

Emery Davis wrote:
> Our son turned 6, and had quite specific requests for the dinner menu. Quail
> with bread stuffing, mashed potatoes and chives, buttered peas. To drink
> Champommy, but also a good Chateauneuf du Pape he could taste. An
> excellent choice with the meal! <g> (Oh, and I didn't mention the green cake
> from the Monet cookbook he asked for. Adele concocted something simpler
> but used the spinach method to dye buttercream green, worked great.)

Egad, Emery! At age 6, I doubt that I even realized that people ate
quail (though I might have recognized quail as the state bird). That's
quite an epicure you're raising, Emery. And what's Champommy? Anything
like Dorothy Sayer's "Sparkling Pompagne" (Murder Must Advertise)?

> He liked the Beaucastel too, and it even ellicited commentary beyond the
> classic "very grapey." The comment below is, however, mine not his:
>
> An elegant but full nose with chocolate, sweet cassis and tar. In the mouth
> very finely structured, tannins nicely resolved, not too sweet or outgoing
> but very long and layered, really holding up nicely. Some leather, spice,
> black fruits. Really delicious.
>
> I have some more of these and will now start trotting them out as the
> occasion demands.

Damn! Impatient cuss that I am, I drank the last of ours a few years
ago. I guess that I 'll have to dream up a reason to get myself over to
Normandy, eh?

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton

Emery Davis wrote:
> Our son turned 6, and had quite specific requests for the dinner menu. Quail
> with bread stuffing, mashed potatoes and chives, buttered peas. To drink
> Champommy, but also a good Chateauneuf du Pape he could taste. An
> excellent choice with the meal! <g> (Oh, and I didn't mention the green cake
> from the Monet cookbook he asked for. Adele concocted something simpler
> but used the spinach method to dye buttercream green, worked great.)

Egad, Emery! At age 6, I doubt that I even realized that people ate
quail (though I might have recognized quail as the state bird). That's
quite an epicure you're raising, Emery. And what's Champommy? Anything
like Dorothy Sayer's "Sparkling Pompagne" (Murder Must Advertise)?

> He liked the Beaucastel too, and it even ellicited commentary beyond the
> classic "very grapey." The comment below is, however, mine not his:
>
> An elegant but full nose with chocolate, sweet cassis and tar. In the mouth
> very finely structured, tannins nicely resolved, not too sweet or outgoing
> but very long and layered, really holding up nicely. Some leather, spice,
> black fruits. Really delicious.
>
> I have some more of these and will now start trotting them out as the
> occasion demands.

Damn! Impatient cuss that I am, I drank the last of ours a few years
ago. I guess that I 'll have to dream up a reason to get myself over to
Normandy, eh?

Mark Lipton
Emery Davis

]
] Hope that you use better discretion that that...use Pepsi cans. :-)
]

LOL. That's definitely the first (and hopefully last) time anyone has
compared me to MJ! Remember Dick, I live in France. Dissembling is
not required in order that young kids taste the wine.

Seriously though, a sip of wine doesn't do any harm, and that's
all they get. In fact, they rarely get even that: "ordinary" wine they
don't get to taste at all, "interesting" they get a finger dip, "really nice"
merits a sip.

Who knows, if they remember and are into wine later, they'll be able
to say they tasted some legendary bottles! <g>

Anyway, the little terror would probably have gone to sleep easier
if he had had more. Apparently when I was 3 I went around emptying
the glasses after a cocktail party, then slept for 2 days straight.

-E

][]

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
by removing the well known companies
Emery Davis

On Sat, 09 Apr 2005 21:42:56 -0700, Mark Lipton > said:

[]
] Egad, Emery! At age 6, I doubt that I even realized that people ate
] quail (though I might have recognized quail as the state bird). That's
] quite an epicure you're raising, Emery. And what's Champommy? Anything
] like Dorothy Sayer's "Sparkling Pompagne" (Murder Must Advertise)?
]

Champommy is a sweet (I guess, not sure I've ever tasted it) sparkling
apple juice in a Champagne format bottle. It's pretty widely available,
we used to get it at Tower Market in SF, even. Lets the kids share the
toasts without getting snockered, is the idea. Not being a mystery buff
I don't know the Sayer's, I'm afraid.

As for quail, they're cheap, quick to prepare and available everywhere here.
So we eat them fairly often. Worse was when his big sister demanded pigeon
(which is neither cheap nor all that easy to get hold of without advance planning)
for her birthday dinner. Still, I see what you mean. We used to laugh at
some friends from Nice because their (then 5 year old) daughter could name
all the cheeses in a big assortiment. Now I'm sure both our kids could do the
same, not that we've drilled them. Just comes from living here and eating
that way as a matter of course, I guess.

[]
] > I have some more of these and will now start trotting them out as the
] > occasion demands.
]
] Damn! Impatient cuss that I am, I drank the last of ours a few years
] ago. I guess that I 'll have to dream up a reason to get myself over to
] Normandy, eh?

Shame! But I'll reserve a bottle. <g> That 88 cuvee Gonnet is still hanging
about too, as it happens. Strikes me, that's proper use of a sabbatical, come
on over!

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
by removing the well known companies

Richard Neidich

Emery, I live in the Bible Belt of the SE US. That said there are some here
that would like to put parents in jail for allowing kids to use mouthwash
that contains alcohol.

Me...my kids were allowed Beer/Wine in our home anytime they wanted.

Its amazing how those that cannot have the forbidden fruit(booze) crave it.

My kids in college are very familiar with booze and don't abuse as they have
been allowed anytime they wanted :-)

Beer, wine or hard stuff.

"Emery Davis" > wrote in message
. ..
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 02:03:40 GMT, "dick neidich" >
> said:
>
> ] Well, getting your kid drunk. Michael Jackson allegedly gave kids Wine
> in
> ] Coke Cans and called it "jesus juice."
> ]
> ] Hope that you use better discretion that that...use Pepsi cans. :-)
> ]
>
> LOL. That's definitely the first (and hopefully last) time anyone has
> compared me to MJ! Remember Dick, I live in France. Dissembling is
> not required in order that young kids taste the wine.
>
> Seriously though, a sip of wine doesn't do any harm, and that's
> all they get. In fact, they rarely get even that: "ordinary" wine they
> don't get to taste at all, "interesting" they get a finger dip, "really
> nice"
> merits a sip.
>
> Who knows, if they remember and are into wine later, they'll be able
> to say they tasted some legendary bottles! <g>
>
> Anyway, the little terror would probably have gone to sleep easier
> if he had had more. Apparently when I was 3 I went around emptying
> the glasses after a cocktail party, then slept for 2 days straight.
>
> -E
>
> ][]
>
> --
> Emery Davis
> You can reply to
> by removing the well known companies

Richard Neidich

Emery, I live in the Bible Belt of the SE US. That said there are some here
that would like to put parents in jail for allowing kids to use mouthwash
that contains alcohol.

Me...my kids were allowed Beer/Wine in our home anytime they wanted.

Its amazing how those that cannot have the forbidden fruit(booze) crave it.

My kids in college are very familiar with booze and don't abuse as they have
been allowed anytime they wanted :-)

Beer, wine or hard stuff.

"Emery Davis" > wrote in message
. ..
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 02:03:40 GMT, "dick neidich" >
> said:
>
> ] Well, getting your kid drunk. Michael Jackson allegedly gave kids Wine
> in
> ] Coke Cans and called it "jesus juice."
> ]
> ] Hope that you use better discretion that that...use Pepsi cans. :-)
> ]
>
> LOL. That's definitely the first (and hopefully last) time anyone has
> compared me to MJ! Remember Dick, I live in France. Dissembling is
> not required in order that young kids taste the wine.
>
> Seriously though, a sip of wine doesn't do any harm, and that's
> all they get. In fact, they rarely get even that: "ordinary" wine they
> don't get to taste at all, "interesting" they get a finger dip, "really
> nice"
> merits a sip.
>
> Who knows, if they remember and are into wine later, they'll be able
> to say they tasted some legendary bottles! <g>
>
> Anyway, the little terror would probably have gone to sleep easier
> if he had had more. Apparently when I was 3 I went around emptying
> the glasses after a cocktail party, then slept for 2 days straight.
>
> -E
>
> ][]
>
> --
> Emery Davis
> You can reply to
> by removing the well known companies

Emery Davis

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 23:40:05 GMT, "Richard Neidich" > said:

] Emery, I live in the Bible Belt of the SE US. That said there are some here
] that would like to put parents in jail for allowing kids to use mouthwash
] that contains alcohol.
]
] Me...my kids were allowed Beer/Wine in our home anytime they wanted.
]
] Its amazing how those that cannot have the forbidden fruit(booze) crave it.
]
] My kids in college are very familiar with booze and don't abuse as they have
] been allowed anytime they wanted :-)
]

Ha, that's what they tell you! <g> Really though I agree completely,
I think it's important to demystify certain aspects of adult life so that
they don't exert an "unholy" attraction later on. However this sort of
education can also have the opposite effect. I know a gentleman
-- with a fabulous cellar, too -- who attempted to educate his kid's
palates as we do. The net result was that they decided early they
didn't like wine, and never changed their minds. Now he's got
no one to bequeath his cellar to. Oddly enough one of his
daughters married into a wealthy family that has viti-interests in
Vacqueyras; neither she nor her husband drink wine at all!

I know you're (rightly) proud of your kids, hope mine succeed as well
when the time comes.

-E
[]
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
by removing the well known companies

dick neidich

My oldest 21 years of age...has appreication of wine. Even toured wineries
with me.

My youngest...age 17...not yet that interested. He does like
iceine.eiswine.

"Emery Davis" > wrote in message
. ..
> On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 23:40:05 GMT, "Richard Neidich"
> > said:
>
> ] Emery, I live in the Bible Belt of the SE US. That said there are some
> here
> ] that would like to put parents in jail for allowing kids to use
> mouthwash
> ] that contains alcohol.
> ]
> ] Me...my kids were allowed Beer/Wine in our home anytime they wanted.
> ]
> ] Its amazing how those that cannot have the forbidden fruit(booze) crave
> it.
> ]
> ] My kids in college are very familiar with booze and don't abuse as they
> have
> ] been allowed anytime they wanted :-)
> ]
>
> Ha, that's what they tell you! <g> Really though I agree completely,
> I think it's important to demystify certain aspects of adult life so that
> they don't exert an "unholy" attraction later on. However this sort of
> education can also have the opposite effect. I know a gentleman
> -- with a fabulous cellar, too -- who attempted to educate his kid's
> palates as we do. The net result was that they decided early they
> didn't like wine, and never changed their minds. Now he's got
> no one to bequeath his cellar to. Oddly enough one of his
> daughters married into a wealthy family that has viti-interests in
> Vacqueyras; neither she nor her husband drink wine at all!
>
> I know you're (rightly) proud of your kids, hope mine succeed as well
> when the time comes.
>
> -E
> []
> --
> Emery Davis
> You can reply to
> by removing the well known companies

[TN] '89 Beaucastel Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 9 30-04-2012 10:08 PM
[TN] '94 Beaucastel Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 0 15-01-2009 05:14 AM
TN Beaucastel Vertical John T Wine 17 19-07-2008 02:51 AM
88 Beaucastel Emery Davis Wine 0 09-04-2005 06:49 PM
TNR: '95 Coudoulet de Beaucastel Robert Ruzitschka Wine 5 23-03-2004 05:25 PM