Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Overripe California Zinfandels

I attended a retailer sponsored sit down Zinfandel wine tasting. I was
very disappointed. Almost all the wines were overripe and extremely
alcoholic. I didn't rate most of them, because I just don't like
this style of Zin.

2001 Klinker Brick, Lodi, Old Vines
Medium dark. Nice nose with strawberry and raspberry. Big raseberry,
strawberry, overripe fruit, which finished towards licorice, high acid,
moderate tannins, long fruity, hot finish. Would be great wine if the
fruit was not so overripe. Price $16. Alcohol 15.4%. Not rated.

2002 Chase, St. Helena, Napa, Hayne Vineyard.
Medium dark. Nose was tight with hints of berries. Furit flavors were
mainly slightly overripe raspberry and strawberry, high acid, moderate
tannins, and a long finish. This wine had bland fruit, but was only
slightly overripe. Price $38. Alcohol 14.5. Not rated.

2002 Branham, Rock Pile
Dark. Tight nose with hints of strawberry. Fruit flavors were mainly
raspberry and strawberry, moderate acid, moderate tannin, and a long
fruity finish. This was the one Zin that did not taste overripe or hot
to me, and was therefore my favorite, even though I was not very
enthusiastic about it. Price $29. Alcohol 14.1. My rating 85.

2002 Adelaida, Pasa Robles
Medium garnet. Closed nose with hints of raspberry. Fruit flavors were
overripe raspberry, strawberry, turning to chocolate, high acid,
moderate tannins, long finish. This is another wine that would be nice,
if the fruit was not so overripe. Price $21.Alcohol 14.1. Not rated.

2001 Joseph Swan, Lone Redwood Ranch
Very dark. Tight nose with some raspberry and strawberry and hints of
black pepper. The fruit flavors were very odd on this wine. It had
bright red strawberry and cherry flavors in front, and then it seemed
to turn sweet, high acid, moderate tannins, long hot finish. I really
think this wine has residual sugar, which would be amazing considering
the alcohol. This was my least favorite. Price $23. Alcohol 15.3. Not
rated.

When exactly did California wine makers decide this was the style of
Zin that consumers want?

Are there really a lot of consumers that like this style of wine?

I have recently tasted some Zins from Ravenswood, and they do not seem
to be quite so over the top.

Mike's Wine Blog
http://mikeswinecellar.blogspot.com