Old 14-03-2005, 12:30 PM
Richard Neidich

Default Morgan Gamay, Guy Breton

This past week when travelig I tried a Morgan Gamay, Village wine. From
Burg the staff at restaurant said.

I had asssumed the only red wine from Burg was Pinot Noir. I guess I was
wrong? :-(

Wine was very different, very interesting, lots of flavors...but not the
type I would have again. It was a Kermit Lynch selection.

Old 14-03-2005, 12:44 PM
jcoulter

"Richard Neidich" wrote in
ink.net:

This past week when travelig I tried a Morgan Gamay, Village wine.
From Burg the staff at restaurant said.

I had asssumed the only red wine from Burg was Pinot Noir. I guess I
was wrong? :-(

Wine was very different, very interesting, lots of flavors...but not
the type I would have again. It was a Kermit Lynch selection.

Morgon is Beaujolais and Gamay is the grape for that area.
Old 14-03-2005, 12:45 PM
jcoulter

"Richard Neidich" wrote in
ink.net:

This past week when travelig I tried a Morgan Gamay, Village wine.
From Burg the staff at restaurant said.

I had asssumed the only red wine from Burg was Pinot Noir. I guess I
was wrong? :-(

Wine was very different, very interesting, lots of flavors...but not
the type I would have again. It was a Kermit Lynch selection.

forgot to add, Beaujolais for some reason unkown to me is labeled
Burgundy from time to time
Old 14-03-2005, 01:00 PM
Richard Neidich

It was this time as well...

"jcoulter" wrote in message
"Richard Neidich" wrote in
ink.net:

This past week when travelig I tried a Morgan Gamay, Village wine.
From Burg the staff at restaurant said.

Old 14-03-2005, 01:00 PM
DaleW

Beaujolais is the southern end of the department of Burgundy, so
geographically it is Burgundy. While other areas in Burgundy but
outside the C=F4te d'Or (C=F4te Chalonnais, M=E2con, Chablis) use the same
grapes as the C=F4te d'Or (please note I know there are a few exceptions-
Grande Ordinaire, Aligote, Passetoutgrains, as well as "sports" such as
Gouges' NSG), the term Burgundy commonly includes them, but Beaujolais
reds are Gamay they're usually in own classification.

Old 14-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Michael Pronay

"DaleW" wrote:

Beaujolais is the southern end of the department of Burgundy, so
geographically it is Burgundy.

nitpicking There is no département "Bourgogne", only a "région"
Bourgogne, comprising the départements "Côte d'Or", "Yonne"
(Chablis), Nièvre, and Saône-et-Loire (part of Beaujolais).

The major part of Beaujolais, however, is grown in the département
"Rhône", part of the région "Rhône Alpes".

The administrative entity "Bourgogne" does not equal what is
called "Bourgogne viticole" (winegrowing Burgundy).

As to the AOC Bourgogne, the wines entitled to the AOCs of
Brouilly, Côtes de Brouilly, Chénas, Chiroubles, Fleurie,
Juliénas, Morgon, Moulin-à-Vent, and Saint-Amour (i.e. 9 of the 10
Crus in Beaujolais) can in theory apply for the AOC "Bourgogne"
(in that case losing their cru AOC, so nobody does it, of course):

http://www.inao.gouv.fr/public/produ...p?comiteNat=1&
id_txt=396

=

http://snipurl.com/dezc

M.

Old 14-03-2005, 05:23 PM
DaleW

Yes Dick, Morgan is one of the 10 Crus of Beaujolais.

Michael, thanks for correction. I knew I should be careful re use of
French administrative terms such as Department without a reference in
front of me!

Old 14-03-2005, 09:08 PM
Max

For some decades it has been conventional for Anglophone wine writers
to group Beaujolais wines in with the Burgundies, and then explain the
distinction. Scrupulous US restaurant wine lists tend to segregate
them. The gross classification of a Beaujolais as "Burgundy Wine" may
be required by US import laws, or marketing convenience, or a desperate
effort to simplify things for an impatient emerging market that
sometimes even asks producers to adjust their wine labels to its
prejudices rather than vice versa.

-- Max

Old 14-03-2005, 09:38 PM
Anders Tørneskog

"Richard Neidich" skrev i melding
nk.net...
Well, I dislike the Neauveaus...but I did find this wine interesting.

Yes, the Morgon village area (note spelling) is renowned for the most
storage-worthy wines of Beaujolais. Up to 10 years, I've heard. The B.
Nouveau (spelling again :-) is not wine - it is grape juice with alcohol...,
unfinished wine so to speak...
Anders

Old 14-03-2005, 09:45 PM
Ken Blake

In oups.com,
DaleW typed:

Yes Dick, Morgan is one of the 10 Crus of Beaujolais.

I hate to correct spelling in newsgroups, but when it's the name
of a wine...

That's "Morgon."

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Old 15-03-2005, 12:58 AM
Timothy Hartley

In message
"Anders Tørneskog" wrote:

"Richard Neidich" skrev i melding
nk.net...
Well, I dislike the Neauveaus...but I did find this wine interesting.

Yes, the Morgon village area (note spelling) is renowned for the most
storage-worthy wines of Beaujolais.

Some people would say that good Moulin pipped even good Morgon for keeping
though in January 2004 I drank a 1985 Morgon which was wonderful.

Timothy Hartley
Old 15-03-2005, 06:41 AM
Mark Lipton

Timothy Hartley wrote:

Yes, the Morgon village area (note spelling) is renowned for the most
storage-worthy wines of Beaujolais.

Some people would say that good Moulin pipped even good Morgon for keeping
though in January 2004 I drank a 1985 Morgon which was wonderful.

You echo my own thoughts, Timothy. I think that, historically, M-a-V
was viewed as being the most serious and ageworthy Cru, with Morgon a
close second. However, the rarity of good M-a-V has perhaps damaged its
reputation in recent years/decades.

Mark Lipton

p.s. Whose '85 did you have?

p.p.s. When I was visiting Beaujolais in '01, a vigneron there told me
of recently opening a '47 Fleurie that he said was delicious and still
alive.

[TN] '07 Breton Morgon Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 0 27-04-2012 03:54 AM
Goodby Harry Morgan Pico Rico[_2_] General Cooking 0 07-12-2011 11:21 PM
TN: '98 Morgan PN, '90 Vieux Donjon Mark Lipton Wine 0 22-10-2006 05:15 AM
TN: '00 Breton Les Picasses Jim Wine 2 30-01-2006 09:43 PM
Captain Morgan Spiced Rum mirror Nostalgia Restaurants 0 14-01-2004 12:36 PM