Nils Gustaf Lindgren

Default Thinking out loud ...

Hello;
Not daunted by previous spectacular failure in the wine auction business (by
buying a wine I could get cheaper in the shop) I still hang out n the
auction site, placing ill-considered bids, and generally failing to get
anything..
I found a funny function - which lot got the most bids. And that was
curious. First place was 6 bottles of Beaune 1er cru from 1995, current
highest bid EU 59. OK, that I understand. The second was, however, a lot of
3 bottles of Mouton-Cadet 1953, and the current offer is EU 130!
Why is that? Was Mouton-Cadet so much better 50 years ago? Could, really,
seriously, Mouton-Cadet hang around fro more than 50 years?!?! I don´t think
so. So, some guys are fighting to death to aquire 3 bottles of, most likely,
undrinkable wine.

Cheers

Nils Gustaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Steve Slatcher

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 11:08:25 GMT, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:

>Hello;
>Not daunted by previous spectacular failure in the wine auction business (by
>buying a wine I could get cheaper in the shop) I still hang out n the
>auction site, placing ill-considered bids, and generally failing to get
>anything..
>I found a funny function - which lot got the most bids. And that was
>curious. First place was 6 bottles of Beaune 1er cru from 1995, current
>highest bid EU 59. OK, that I understand. The second was, however, a lot of
>3 bottles of Mouton-Cadet 1953, and the current offer is EU 130!
>Why is that? Was Mouton-Cadet so much better 50 years ago? Could, really,
>seriously, Mouton-Cadet hang around fro more than 50 years?!?! I don´t think
>so. So, some guys are fighting to death to aquire 3 bottles of, most likely,
>undrinkable wine.

You only need a couple of people without clue to get this effect. Or
one person without clue if the seller has a collaborator. I presume
they were focussing in on the Mouton bit of the name.

You don't even need part of a famous name to get silly prices. Not so
long ago an old bottle of straight Beaujolais went for a stupid price
on ebay. I forget the details, but it was a bottle from the 60s and
sold for £50 or so.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher