cc0112453

Default Thinking out loud

I was about to purchase a new Spitt's and Pitt's stainless smoker. Check
them out if you live near Texas. They are having a sale on them. I
actually had myself talked into their smaller unit at eight hundred and
something bucks. I was really going to buy it. I had it all figured out
how I would come up with the money. Then reality struck. It would cost me
four hundred dollars to ship it to the Washington state. Oh well. I guess
they weigh a bunch.

That got me to wondering about constructing my own. Now I'm not ready to do
any welding but I got to thinking about what a smoker actually was. It is
basically a wood stove with a cooking chamber attached. Right? So why
couldn't you take an old wood burning stove attach a cooking chamber above
it so that the stove vents directly through it? Seems to me like it would
work. Any one else want to comment.

Doug

remove nospam to respond

Edwin Pawlowski

"cc0112453" > wrote in message >
> That got me to wondering about constructing my own. Now I'm not ready to

do
> any welding but I got to thinking about what a smoker actually was. It is
> basically a wood stove with a cooking chamber attached. Right? So why
> couldn't you take an old wood burning stove attach a cooking chamber above
> it so that the stove vents directly through it? Seems to me like it would
> work. Any one else want to comment.
>
> Doug

Sounds like Dan Gill's Butt Ugly smoker.
http://www.velvitoil.com/Smoker.htm

Dan had this at his house for a few years and now he uses it for smoking
meats for his store. I've tended it a time or two for him and it does a lot
of meat and does it well.
Ed

http://pages.cthome.net/edhome