Hunt

Default AFW - Question on two wineries - one in Santa Cruz Mtns/CA/US other in OZ

I need some help with info on two wineries: one is BARGETTO WINERY in Santa
Cruz Mtns, CA/US. I've been to their Web site, and hope someone has TNs,
comments on their wines.

The other is Ballantrae, Barossa Valley, AU. I've found a few Google
references, but no site, and very little on the wines. It seems that they do a
Shiraz and a Cab, but I can find little reference to them.

It seems that someone here recently did a Santa Cruz wine tasting tour/event.
Was BARGETTO WINERY one of the wineries pouring. I can't seem to find any
references to that event in Google.Groups, and my memory isn't what it once
was.

TIA
Hunt

Tom S

"Hunt" > wrote in message
>I need some help with info on two wineries: one is BARGETTO WINERY in Santa
> Cruz Mtns, CA/US. I've been to their Web site, and hope someone has TNs,
> comments on their wines.

It's been awhile since I tasted anything from Bargetto, but IIRC their
Cabernet was pretty good. Not Napa Valley "First Growth" status, but not
nearly as expensive either.

Santa Cruz is certainly a good region for fine wines, although I'd expect it
to favor whites and cool climate varietals like Pinot Noir, but Ridge isn't
too far from there (Cupertino) and their Monte Bello Cabernet _is_ a
California First Growth.

Not much help, but not none either... :^/

Tom S

Hunt

In article >, says...

>in article
, Hunt at wrote on
>1/25/05 8:44 PM:
>
>> I need some help with info on two wineries: one is BARGETTO WINERY in Santa
>> Cruz Mtns, CA/US. I've been to their Web site, and hope someone has TNs,
>> comments on their wines.
>>
>> The other is Ballantrae, Barossa Valley, AU. I've found a few Google
>> references, but no site, and very little on the wines. It seems that they

do a
>> Shiraz and a Cab, but I can find little reference to them.
>>
>> It seems that someone here recently did a Santa Cruz wine tasting tour/

event.
>> Was BARGETTO WINERY one of the wineries pouring. I can't seem to find any
>> references to that event in Google.Groups, and my memory isn't what it once
>> was.
>>
>> TIA
>> Hunt
>>

>I went to a tasting of Santa Cruz wineries at Copia (in Napa) a few months
>ago and posted about it before going. That may be what you are remembering.
>
>Bargetto was one of the wineries there, but the few notes I took do not show
>anything about their wines. I think I recall tasting at their table, but I
>did not make any notes (there were only a few at which I did). Sorry not to
>be of any help. We went to Copia after a two hour special club-member
>tasting at Franciscan, so the taste buds may have been substantially dulled
>by then. ;o)

That's right! I had mistakenly assumed that the tasting was in SCM area, but
you corrected me, that it was actually in Napa, at Copia. Maybe it was that
mistaken impression that lead to no hits in my Google.Groups search - duh!
Thanks for the "refresher." Now, all I need to do is find a way to taste the
Bargetto wines. Next month I'll be at Pebble Beach, so maybe I can find some
in the Monterrey area. Bargetto has a vineyard in the Monterrey AVA, so I
might get lucky. Unfortunately, we're staying at Pebble and I'll not be
getting a car, or even having any free time, and IIRC Pebble's wine list is
very heavy on Bdx and, as Tom S writes, "Napa First-Growths." It will be a
shame to be so close, yet probably not be able to fulfill my quest - maybe
next time.

Thanks for the info though,
Hunt

James

Hunt wrote:
> I need some help with info on two wineries: one is BARGETTO WINERY in Santa
> Cruz Mtns, CA/US. I've been to their Web site, and hope someone has TNs,
> comments on their wines.

Hunt,
I've visited a number of the Santa Cruz Mountain wineries over the last
few years but I must say Bargetto is one of my least favourite. Whether
it was the wines they were pouring the day I visited or whether it was
having just come down from Burrell School and Silver Mountain (both of
which I like very much) and ending up in the "tasting room" setting at
Bargetto rather than talking to the winemakers - and letting this cloud
my judgement I don't know.
I did enjoy their Mead!
--James

markw

Hunt wrote:
> I need some help with info on two wineries: one is BARGETTO WINERY in

Santa
> Cruz Mtns, CA/US. I've been to their Web site, and hope someone has

TNs,
> comments on their wines.
>
> The other is Ballantrae, Barossa Valley, AU. I've found a few Google
> references, but no site, and very little on the wines. It seems that

they do a
> Shiraz and a Cab, but I can find little reference to them.
>
> It seems that someone here recently did a Santa Cruz wine tasting

tour/event.
> Was BARGETTO WINERY one of the wineries pouring. I can't seem to find

any
> references to that event in Google.Groups, and my memory isn't what

it once
> was.
>
> TIA
> Hunt

Hunt, Bargetto is an old winery in California terms but for much of
their history they were best known for their sweet fruit wines -
Ollalieberry, for example. Somewhere along the line - 70's? (a guess)
- they "graduated" into more serious (meaning dry vinifera) wines.
Those are sometimes good but most people I know would not place them in
the upper echelon of Santa Cruz Mountain wineries.

- Mark W.

Andrew Goldfinch

Hunt wrote:

> The other is Ballantrae, Barossa Valley, AU. I've found a few Google
> references, but no site, and very little on the wines. It seems that

they do a
> Shiraz and a Cab, but I can find little reference to them.

Hi Hunt
I've spent a great deal of time in the Barossa (too much it has been
rumoured by those close to me) and have never come across Ballantrae. I
googled them to and came up with a Ballantrae wine merchants who have a
Barossa Shiraz and a Napa Cab Sav. My feeling is they are not growing
grapes or making wine just branding cleanskins. I have emailed a friend
who is on the board of Barossa Winemakers Association so should have a
definitive answer for you soon.
Cheers Andrew