Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: '98 Ridge Santa Cruz Mountains Cabernet revisited

Some of you may recall that I reported on this wine about ten days ago,
having opened it at our annual "cull" party. At that time, it was a
major disappointment and I opined that it might have been shut down.
Tonight, we reopened the bottle with dinner after it had sat on our back
porch (5-20°F for the duration) sealed. What a difference! Tonight, it
was open and ready for business with black currants, caramel, cedar and
more than a hint of tannins. Clearly, this is not the best way to peer
into its future, but this wine was still primary and certainly has its
best years ahead of it. Lesson learned: Paul Draper says on the back
label that it will develop for 10-12 years (as of 2/02). Never doubt
The Master!

Sadder but wiser (and updating the drinking window in his database),
Mark Lipton