Default TN's: recent ones

Let's start off in reverse order, going from sweet to dry:

Royal Tokaji, Tokaji Aszu, 5 Puttonyos, 1996
For the life of me, I can't understand why these are vintage dated,
because nearly all the Tokaji I've tasted has tasted much like every
other Tokaji. Perhaps I just need to escape my closed shell of a life
and explore the vastness of the Hun's legacy more? Hmmm...Anyway, this
had an advanced brown-orange color, some spicy citrus and soursop
scents with candied tangerine, kumquats, with a spicy finish and a
pleasant sweet-sour quality to the sweetness. After a few days, more
clove, gingerbread, with a more pronounced muscatel aroma. If I were
drinking Crayola=AE crayons, this would be 'burnt umber'.

H=FCet, Vouvray, 'Clos du Bourg', demisec, 2002
Hip-hip VOUV-RAY! Hip-hip VOUV-RAY! In a nutshell, good stuff. And
still accessible, although a feeling persists that this is not
revealing everything yet and may be at the point where bedtime is near.
Field flowers and tropical fruits (pineapple, guava) on the nose,
mashed ripe apricots, guava paste, quince, with a floating light touch
toward the finish, along with a chalky finish. This feels like a
Rheingau auslese in weight, and yet there is balancing acidity to keep
this in check. A-

Valle Reale, Montepulciano d'Abruzzo, 'Vigne Nuove', 2003 Who needs
rose for picnics when you can have a refreshing red instead? Simple,
but who cares: this is fun. Fresh-squeezed elderberries is what I'm
smelling, and drinking this is like passing elderberry-blackberry juice
through one's lips, very fresh and pure, while the slight
bitter-herbalness on the end keeps it from becoming jaded. B+

Vitanza, Brunello di Montalcino, 1998
Deep leathery red looking. Smoky cherry-mint and fennle on the nose,
echoing on the palate, with a lovely sweet finish that make drinking it
early a good choice, but has enough of a structure that 2-3 more years
would soften the youthful edges. Much better than a 1995 bottle from
this producer. B+

Ridge, Cabernet Sauvignon, Santa Cruz Mountains, 1999
A dark black-red. Boysenberry with warm weather blackcurrant and spicy
oak scents. Blackcurrants and spicy oak, not totally integrated yet but
could with age. Would like to see a few more years on this. Not very
complex, but the alcohol level is refreshing (12.7%) for a wine from
California. Has a slight 'perfumed' quality that might become more
pronounced with time in bottle. B+

[LONG] Recent and not-so-recent wines Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 9 17-01-2014 10:28 PM
a few of recent ones Emery Davis[_3_] Wine 0 30-01-2010 09:57 PM
3 recent ones [email protected] Wine 2 22-12-2004 09:07 PM
TN: 3 recent ones Markus Wine 1 17-11-2004 02:53 PM
Recent TN's Wine 4 26-08-2004 05:08 PM