Markus

Default TN: 3 recent ones

Huet, Vouvray, Clos du Bourg, sec, 2000
Not in a pretty stage right now or never was: mostly sherry on the
nose with some hay and old quince, a very slight honeyed flower note.
Rancio flavors come through on the palate, along with straw and linden
tea, chamomile, but this feels 'off' to me, more similar to a grenache
blanc than a chenin blanc, but without the substantial heft of those.
Rather delicate and dilute tasting. 87-8 or so.

Le Ragose, Valpolicella, 1999
Bright cherry red. Straw flowers and lots of red fruits on the nose,
which come out as red currants, pomegranite, and cranberry-cherry in
the mouth. Good acidity and a tight, but short finish. Has the light
touch of a Beaujolais, and although the label says this was treated
ripasso, I just don't sense it. A good inexpensive ($12) weekday wine.
B+/88

Conterno-Fantino, Langhe Rosso, 'Mon Pra', 1999
Deep black cherry colored. There's a slight floral lift to the mostly
licorice and black cherry aromas. Medium-bodied with loads of black
cherries and cooked Italian plums...perhaps some lilac that keeps it
from getting boring. Substantial tannin is present and grips at the
end where I'm getting some boysenberry as well. This blend of
nebbiolo/barbera/cabernet is good, well-made, but then not overly
complex either and would be better if it sold for $20 or so instead of
$34. Interesting that I couldn't pick out any varietal characteristic
of any grape and did not find the 'Italian dust' I usually find on
many Italian reds. B+/89
Dale Williams

Mark,

while 2000 isn't a stellar Loire vintage, that Huet sounds damaged to me.
Although chenin in an awkward stage can be plain wierd.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply