SoCalMike

Default Question about Humidity and Wine Cellars

Hi Everyone,

I am hoping to get some advice.

I have a small Vinotemp 32 Bottle Wine Cellar that I just purchased. I am
going to store some Bordeaux wines.

My question involves keeping the humidity at the desired level.

Currently, the humidity is at about 51% inside the Vinotemp Wine Cellar.
Ideally, I would like it at about 70%.

So the question is, how do impact the humidity level inside the Wine
Cellar?

I have tried using a soaked sponge in a bowl, but it has no impact on the
humidity.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

-Mike in SoCal

Hunt

In article outdrinks.com>,
says...

>Hi Everyone,
>
>I am hoping to get some advice.
>
>I have a small Vinotemp 32 Bottle Wine Cellar that I just purchased. I am
>going to store some Bordeaux wines.
>
>My question involves keeping the humidity at the desired level.
>
>Currently, the humidity is at about 51% inside the Vinotemp Wine Cellar.
>Ideally, I would like it at about 70%.
>
>So the question is, how do impact the humidity level inside the Wine
>Cellar?
>
>I have tried using a soaked sponge in a bowl, but it has no impact on the
>humidity.
>
>Any suggestions are appreciated.
>
>-Mike in SoCal

Actually, the most often stated "desired" humidity, that I have seen, is
around 50-60% for wine. The lower end for the labels and the upper for the
corks. I try for the upper end, but then I'm also storing cigars, where 70% is
an ideal. To get to a balance, so as not to introduce mold on labels, I just
have a humidor for the cigars. However, in AZ, the instant that I bring the
stoogies out from their home, they dry out, and blow away in the breeze! :-{

As to bringing UP the humidity, it might well be that the cooling/conditioning
unit is actually trying to keep the humidity at ~50% and is working a bit
harder to remove what is programmed in as excess humidity. My Whisperkool
tries for 50%, but I added a small fountain and some splash rocks to nudge it
up a bit. When the cellar was new and settling in, I did as you have tried,
and placed a large sponge into a dish of water. I found that a towell, half in
and half out, did a much better job of raising the humidity.

I hope that others comment on the humidity issue, as all I have to go on is
some very general reading, and there only seem to be warnings about dry corks
if too low, and moldy labels if too high.

Hunt

Wine cellars jhill999 Wine 5 06-04-2007 06:27 AM
-----------WINE CELLARS------------------- pmorgan Wine 2 02-03-2007 03:08 AM
Adding Humidity to a Refrigerated Wine Cabnet [email protected] Wine 1 04-07-2006 06:06 PM
Newbie Question-Wine Coolers/Cellars Steve Dannenbaum Wine 14 05-09-2005 11:12 AM
Wine Cellars - Chuck Reid Wine 4 16-11-2004 06:10 AM