Default Barolo recommendation

Clerico is very good, but don't decant under any circumstances. Open
1/2 hour or so before serving, but keep the cork in it.

CabFan

On 19-Jan-2005, (Dave Devine) wrote:

> After reading lots of tasting notes on Barolos, I am looking forward to
> finally trying one. The following are available from my local wine shop
> for between 55 and 70 euros:
>
> Aldo e Ricardo Seghesio 1997 Barolo La Villa
>
> Armando Parusso 1999 Barolo Bussia Munie
>
> Domenico Clerico 1999 Barolo Pajana
>
> Domenico Clerico 1999 Barolo Ciabat Mentin Ginestra
>
> Please make a recommendation from the list and give me an idea of how
> long in advance to decant.
>
> Thanks in advance and I look forward to your responses (and the wine!).
>
> Dave

Hi Dave,

For my money I'd go with either of the Clerico's first (probably the Pajana
first) and then the Parusso. Keep in mind that while these are "new world"
styled Barolos, they will still show a lot of the Italian "terrior" as well
as the classical earthy, dryness from Nebbiolo. It is a powerful red, meant
to be paired with the Piedmont region's hearty meat, formidable pasta and
rich risotto. It will not be like much else you have ever experienced.

In my mind, I think that the 99's are going to be extremely tight. I happen
to like bold wines like this, so I tend not to aerate too much before hand
(meaning decant if you want to but not requiring IMHO). You will find that
these change dramatically over several hours, so I would recommend having
this with some food so that you can experience over a period of time and see
the evolution in the glass.

I must also state that I am personally more fond of Bordeaux-ish (i.e.
Cabernet) or Rhone styled wines; however, my wife adores Barolo and if it
were up to her, that's about all we'd drink.

Please be sure to post back and let us know what you think!

Cheers,
Gary
Xyzsch

>After reading lots of tasting notes on Barolos, I am looking forward to
>finally trying one. The following are available from my local wine shop
>for between 55 and 70 euros:
>
>Aldo e Ricardo Seghesio 1997 Barolo La Villa
>
>Armando Parusso 1999 Barolo Bussia Munie
>
>Domenico Clerico 1999 Barolo Pajana
>
>Domenico Clerico 1999 Barolo Ciabat Mentin Ginestra
>
>Please make a recommendation from the list and give me an idea of how
>long in advance to decant.
>
>Thanks in advance and I look forward to your responses (and the wine!).
>
>Dave

Never mind what UC says about decanting. He is in the minority on this. Decant
four hours. these are very young wines.

Tom Schellberg

Burg and Barolo Bi!! Wine 2 13-04-2010 03:13 PM
Prosecco, Barolo Bi!! Wine 2 27-01-2009 12:59 AM
Modernist Barolo? Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 15 07-09-2006 01:48 PM
Barolo Richard Neidich Wine 4 15-05-2006 03:48 PM
Barolo recommendation Dave Devine Wine 1 26-01-2005 05:48 PM