Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Burg and Barolo

WIth grilled roasted chicken last night.
1996 Marcarini Barolo La Serra-Dark ruby color in the glass with a
brickish tint. Nose of tar, asian spice, cedar and cherries. Medium
weight in the glass. Cherry, raspberry, a bit of earthy minerality.
Searing tannins on the finish detract from the wine. These tannins
arent going anywhere "C+/B-"

2004 Denis Mortet Gevrey Chambertain 1er Lavaut St Jacques-Burgundy
red in the glass showing no age. Nose of sweet ripe cherries, apple
pie spice and vanilla. Fairly concentrated on the palate with black
cherry, mushroom and smoke. Smooth and ripe with a nice underlying
acidity. "A-"
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 13, 8:16*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> WIth grilled roasted chicken last night.
> *1996 Marcarini Barolo La Serra-Dark ruby color in the glass with a
> brickish tint. *Nose of tar, asian spice, cedar and cherries. *Medium
> weight in the glass. *Cherry, raspberry, a bit of earthy minerality.
> Searing tannins on the finish detract from the wine. These tannins
> arent going anywhere "C+/B-"
>
> 2004 Denis Mortet Gevrey Chambertain 1er Lavaut St Jacques-Burgundy
> red in the glass showing no age. *Nose of sweet ripe cherries, apple
> pie spice and vanilla. *Fairly concentrated on the palate with black
> cherry, mushroom and smoke. *Smooth and ripe with a nice underlying
> acidity. "A-"

I've got a couple of the 96 La Serras, wasn't planning on drinking any
time soon. Hope I like better than you did!

I find the Mortets well made, but a little more glossy/extracted than
I prefer (I tend to feel the same way re Dugat, Vogue, Magnien, etc).
Just personal preference.

thanks as always for notes
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 13, 9:07�am, DaleW > wrote:
> On Apr 13, 8:16�am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>
> > WIth grilled roasted chicken last night.
> > �1996 Marcarini Barolo La Serra-Dark ruby color in the glass with a
> > brickish tint. �Nose of tar, asian spice, cedar and cherries. �Medium
> > weight in the glass. �Cherry, raspberry, a bit of earthy minerality.
> > Searing tannins on the finish detract from the wine. These tannins
> > arent going anywhere "C+/B-"

> > 2004 Denis Mortet Gevrey Chambertain 1er Lavaut St Jacques-Burgundy
> > red in the glass showing no age. �Nose of sweet ripe cherries, apple
> > pie spice and vanilla. �Fairly concentrated on the palate with black
> > cherry, mushroom and smoke. �Smooth and ripe with a nice underlying
> > acidity. "A-"

> I've got a couple of the 96 La Serras, wasn't planning on drinking any
> time soon. Hope I like better than you did!
>
> I find the Mortets well made, but a little more glossy/extracted than
> I prefer (I tend to feel the same way re Dugat, Vogue, Magnien, etc).
> Just personal preference.
>
> thanks as always for notes

I just re-tasted the Marcarini and the tannins are still pervasive.
It almost as if the fruit has faded a bit leaving unresolved tannins.
I understand your preference on the Mortet, etc. but they tend to be
crowd pleasers. I've found that the Mortet's/Dugat's take a back seat
to the likes of Perrot-Minot, Laurent, etc in the extraction
department.

TN: Winter Wines (Burg, Barolo, Sonoma, Champagne, etc) DaleW Wine 2 07-01-2014 09:12 PM
TN: cooked white Burg, good white Burg, Barolo DaleW Wine 2 03-07-2011 12:47 PM
Burg, Barolo, Cab. Bi!! Wine 3 12-12-2007 04:13 PM
Inexpensive Barolo graham[_1_] Wine 3 07-09-2007 06:49 PM
Barolo Richard Neidich Wine 4 15-05-2006 03:48 PM