Leo Bueno

Default The widows of Champagne

I find it somewhat curiously odd that several of the great Champagne
houses were created or managed or owned, etc., by widows. So, I
started to put together a list of these grand ladies.

By the way, there is an interesting twist to the Champagne widow
phenomenon. Some houses started inventing widows as a marketing tool.
See http://www.thebhc.org/publications/B...0505-p0514.pdf

Thanks.

Here is what I have so far (of the *real* widows). Will appreciate
your help in filling the gaps and the likely omissions.

WIDOW (HOUSE)

Louise Pommery (Pommery)

Mathilde Emilie Perrier (Laurent-Perrier)

Marie-Louise de Nonancourt (Laurent-Perrier)

??? (Roederer)

??? (Lanson)

Lily Bollinger (Bollinger)

? Binet (???)

? Loche (???)

enoavidh

Leo Bueno > wrote in
:

<snip>
> Here is what I have so far (of the *real* widows). Will appreciate
> your help in filling the gaps and the likely omissions.
>
> WIDOW (HOUSE)
>
> Louise Pommery (Pommery)
>
> Mathilde Emilie Perrier (Laurent-Perrier)
>
> Marie-Louise de Nonancourt (Laurent-Perrier)
>
> ??? (Roederer)
>
> ??? (Lanson)
>
> Lily Bollinger (Bollinger)
>
> ? Binet (???)
>
> ? Loche (???)

Veuve Clicquot!
Bill Loftin

Leo Bueno wrote:

> I find it somewhat curiously odd that several of the great Champagne
> houses were created or managed or owned, etc., by widows. So, I
> started to put together a list of these grand ladies.
> Louise Pommery (Pommery)
> Mathilde Emilie Perrier (Laurent-Perrier)
> Marie-Louise de Nonancourt (Laurent-Perrier)
> Lily Bollinger (Bollinger)

I just went through Jancis Ronbinson's wine course DVD today
with the last chapter being on Champagne and not one widow in
sight. Not one female in sight.

Another rather controversial revaluation today is that the bubbles
in the Champagne are due to dust. In a dust free environment and
a dust free glass, there are no bubbles. They even demonstrated it
on TV tonight.
Dale Williams

>Here is what I have so far (of the *real* widows). Will appreciate
>your help in filling the gaps and the likely omissions.
>
>WIDOW (HOUSE)
>
>Louise Pommery (Pommery)
>
>Mathilde Emilie Perrier (Laurent-Perrier)
>
>Marie-Louise de Nonancourt (Laurent-Perrier)
>
>??? (Roederer)
>
>??? (Lanson)
>
>Lily Bollinger (Bollinger)
>
>? Binet (???)
>
>? Loche (???)

Leo,

Am I missing something here with your reference to "real" widows? To me the
most famous is Madame Ponsardin, aka Veuve Cliquot. Is she not considered real?

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Leo Bueno

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:39:47 +0000 (UTC), enoavidh

:

><snip>
>> Here is what I have so far (of the *real* widows). Will appreciate
>> your help in filling the gaps and the likely omissions.
>>
>> WIDOW (HOUSE)
>>
>> Louise Pommery (Pommery)
>>
>> Mathilde Emilie Perrier (Laurent-Perrier)
>>
>> Marie-Louise de Nonancourt (Laurent-Perrier)
>>
>> ??? (Roederer)
>>
>> ??? (Lanson)
>>
>> Lily Bollinger (Bollinger)
>>
>> ? Binet (???)
>>
>> ? Loche (???)
>>

>Veuve Clicquot!

She is Nicole Ponsardin, who was at the top of the original list.

RV WRLee

>I find it somewhat curiously odd that several of the great Champagne
>houses were created or managed or owned, etc., by widows. So, I
>started to put together a list of these grand ladies.
>
>By the way, there is an interesting twist to the Champagne widow
>phenomenon. Some houses started inventing widows as a marketing tool.
>See http://www.thebhc.org/publications/B...0505-p0514.pdf
>
>Thanks.
>
>Here is what I have so far (of the *real* widows). Will appreciate
>your help in filling the gaps and the likely omissions.
>
>WIDOW (HOUSE)
>
>Louise Pommery (Pommery)
>
>Mathilde Emilie Perrier (Laurent-Perrier)
>
>Marie-Louise de Nonancourt (Laurent-Perrier)
>
>??? (Roederer)
>
>??? (Lanson)
>
>Lily Bollinger (Bollinger)
>
>? Binet (???)
>
>? Loche (?)

Barbe Nicole Ponsardin Clicquot(Veuve Clicquot) perhaps the most impressive of
all of the widows.
Bi!!
enoavidh

Leo Bueno > wrote in
:

> She is Nicole Ponsardin, who was at the top of the original list.

Sorry, I did not see her on your list.
P.S. née Ponsardin:
http://www.clicquotinc.com/vcp/about/related.asp
Michael Pronay

enoavidh > wrote:

> P.S. née Ponsardin:
> http://www.clicquotinc.com/vcp/about/related.asp

They completely dropped the name "Werle", btw.

M.
Jenny

http://www.champagne-veuve-fourny.com/

??

Jenny

Bonum Vinum Laetificat Cor!!!!

"Leo Bueno" > schreef in bericht

> I find it somewhat curiously odd that several of the great Champagne
> houses were created or managed or owned, etc., by widows. So, I
> started to put together a list of these grand ladies.
>
> By the way, there is an interesting twist to the Champagne widow
> phenomenon. Some houses started inventing widows as a marketing tool.
> See http://www.thebhc.org/publications/B...0505-p0514.pdf
>
> Thanks.
>
> Here is what I have so far (of the *real* widows). Will appreciate
> your help in filling the gaps and the likely omissions.
>
> WIDOW (HOUSE)
>
> Louise Pommery (Pommery)
>
> Mathilde Emilie Perrier (Laurent-Perrier)
>
> Marie-Louise de Nonancourt (Laurent-Perrier)
>
> ??? (Roederer)
>
> ??? (Lanson)
>
> Lily Bollinger (Bollinger)
>
> ? Binet (???)
>
> ? Loche (???)

Night-Owl

"enoavidh" > wrote in message
5.40...
> Leo Bueno > wrote in
> :
>
> <snip>
> > Here is what I have so far (of the *real* widows). Will appreciate
> > your help in filling the gaps and the likely omissions.
> >
> > WIDOW (HOUSE)
> >
> > Louise Pommery (Pommery)
> >
> > Mathilde Emilie Perrier (Laurent-Perrier)
> >
> > Marie-Louise de Nonancourt (Laurent-Perrier)
> >
> > ??? (Roederer)
> >
> > ??? (Lanson)
> >
> > Lily Bollinger (Bollinger)
> >
> > ? Binet (???)
> >
> > ? Loche (???)
> >

> Veuve Clicquot!

Veuve A. Devaux. Was she a real widow?

Monika

Yves Tychon

Leo,

if you are interested in the subject of real champagne widows, take a look at

http://www.duval-leroy.com/New-ENG/D...E/frameset.htm

Belgian born Carole Duval-Leroy is probably today's equivalent to the famous champagne widows mentioned in your contribution.

Yves

"Leo Bueno" > wrote in message ...

> I find it somewhat curiously odd that several of the great Champagne
> houses were created or managed or owned, etc., by widows. So, I
> started to put together a list of these grand ladies.
>
> By the way, there is an interesting twist to the Champagne widow
> phenomenon. Some houses started inventing widows as a marketing tool.
> See http://www.thebhc.org/publications/B...0505-p0514.pdf
>
> Thanks.
>
> Here is what I have so far (of the *real* widows). Will appreciate
> your help in filling the gaps and the likely omissions.
>
> WIDOW (HOUSE)
>
> Louise Pommery (Pommery)
>
> Mathilde Emilie Perrier (Laurent-Perrier)
>
> Marie-Louise de Nonancourt (Laurent-Perrier)
>
> ??? (Roederer)
>
> ??? (Lanson)
>
> Lily Bollinger (Bollinger)
>
> ? Binet (???)
>
> ? Loche (???)

TN: champagne, CdP Emery Davis[_3_] Wine 2 06-02-2011 05:39 PM
Champagne! Steve Pope General Cooking 0 28-11-2009 06:57 PM
Champagne Frank Mancuso Winemaking 8 01-12-2006 04:53 PM
NV Champagne - take 2 EMRinVT Wine 6 13-11-2004 11:33 PM
Does Champagne go bad? PRV8EYE Wine 56 29-10-2003 09:10 PM