Old 25-10-2003, 04:56 AM
PRV8EYE

Default Does Champagne go bad?

I have a bottle of Corbel Champagne I received for my wedding three years ago.
The bottle has never been opened.
Does champagne go bad? Does the taste change after three years if the bottle is
unopened?
I know some will say "just taste it" but, since I'm not a champagne drinker, I
want to give it to someone else. I don't want to end up giving them cider G.
Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Old 25-10-2003, 11:56 AM
Angela Anderson

It is just as well the bottle has never been opened, because once opened it
will lose the fizz quickly (flat Champagne isn't nice!) and go bad through
oxidisation within a couple of days.

Otherwise, it should keep for a few years, but unless it is a great
Champagne - and I have never heard of Corbel - don't expect it to keep
improving. My advice? Drink it up.

Angela

Old 25-10-2003, 10:00 PM
Vilco

"pavane" ha scritto

Korbel, a California sparkler deliberately
mislabeled as "Champagne."

If it is labeled Champagne, France should
impose an importation tax of 200% on every
wine coming in France from the USA until
this Korbel stops labeling Champagne what
is not Champagne.
Call this "an eye for an eye, a tooth
for a tooth".

Same should do we italians with canada,
where some canadian has registered the
trade mark "parma ham".

Governments who don't care of theyr
national products are a big source of
frauds against consumers everywhere.
And a big source of (stolen) income
for dishonest companies.

Vilco

Old 25-10-2003, 10:44 PM
dick

I once read an article on this. For example Schramsburg is also labeled as
Champagne.

The rationale was that the actual vines were from that region in France.
Somehow I think that was felt to justify the naming of it.

Not sure but I don't think they operate outside the scope of the law. They
just choose not to show the respect for France by doing so.

This is interesting as France has Dijon Mustard which is the best in the
world. However the mustard seed comes from Canada for most. Should the
name be changes to Canadian Mustard Seed Dijon Style?

Old 26-10-2003, 12:25 AM
Vilco

"dick" ha scritto

This is interesting as France has Dijon Mustard which is the best in the
world. However the mustard seed comes from Canada for most. Should the
name be changes to Canadian Mustard Seed Dijon Style?

Dijon Mustard is a french recipe so they can call it as they want.
Champagne is a standardized product of a specific french region, so nobody
out of that french region can call a wine "Champagne".
That makes a great difference.
If you like to eat canadian "parma ham", that's your business, but then
you'd be eating a fake.
Same for the fake Champagne we were 'talking' about.

Vilco

Old 26-10-2003, 12:35 AM
Massa Blackadder

"dick" wrote in message
ink.net...
I once read an article on this. For example Schramsburg is also labeled

as
Champagne.

Even though its still wrong in principle, Schramsburg is a product worthy of
the name. Its quite another thing to produce something that tastes like
carbonated apple juice and slap "Champagne" on it.

Massa Blackadder

--
"I wants to be in heaven with all my white folks, just to wait on them
and love them, and serve them, sorta like I did in slavery time."

- Betty Cofer, former slave.

Old 26-10-2003, 12:54 AM
Chuck Reid

This is interesting as France has Dijon Mustard which is the best in the
world. However the mustard seed comes from Canada for most. Should the
name be changes to Canadian Mustard Seed Dijon Style?

Nay laddie. How about "Hamilton ground (or not) Canadian Mustard Seed Mixed
With Miscellaneous and Incidental Ingredients Dijon (France) Style".

We do many things well here in Hamilton at the Western end of the Niagara
Wine Route ;))
--
Regards
Chuck

To reply, delete NOSPAM from return address

Old 26-10-2003, 01:31 AM
dick

If you make Sparking wine from French Vines and make it in the Traditional
Champagne method, then it too is a French Recipe.

I am not sure about Korbel but I am with Schramsburg.

I am not taking any shots about Canada to the north but they make French
Mustard under the Maille Label which is also made in France.

Also the Parma Ham from Canada is pretty good for 1/2 the price of the
Italian Parma. I buy both depending upon where I am.

"dick" ha scritto

Old 26-10-2003, 01:36 AM
dick

Labeling is first a legal issue. Secondly a principal issue. There should
be respect given to Champagne of France but if there was a legal issue here
it surely would have surfaced.

I agree that Schramsburg is quite worthy of bearing the name. In my opinion
they are the best of California...I also like Roederer Brut and Brut Rose.

Amazingly I am not aware of any USA-Pinot Noir calling themselves Burgundy.

"Massa Blackadder" wrote in message
nk.net...

ink.net...

Old 26-10-2003, 03:54 AM
Dana Myers

Vilco wrote:
"pavane" ha scritto

Korbel, a California sparkler deliberately
mislabeled as "Champagne."

If it is labeled Champagne, France should
impose an importation tax of 200% on every
wine coming in France from the USA until
this Korbel stops labeling Champagne what
is not Champagne.
Call this "an eye for an eye, a tooth
for a tooth".

Blah blah blah.

Consumers that give a sh*t understand the difference
between "champagne" from California and Champagne. Other
consumers don't matter (they don't care... they just don't
know the difference and don't care anyway).

Now, I'm a guy that's uptight enough to call
sparkling wine from California "sparkling wine"
in casual conversation. I *get it*. I also don't
buy much French wine. If worrying about your name
is a big deal, I'm not interesting in your wine. The
reasons should be obvious.

Dana
Old 26-10-2003, 03:57 AM
Dana Myers

dick wrote:

I agree that Schramsburg is quite worthy of bearing the name. In my opinion
they are the best of California...I also like Roederer Brut and Brut Rose.

That clinches it. A day-trip to Anderson Valley to visit Roederer is in
order tomorrow. I'll report back in the evening. My 3G wireless data doesn't
work up there so you'll have to wait. Let's see what Josh has in the barrels
at Lazy Creek...

Dana
Old 26-10-2003, 04:55 AM
CabFan

On 25-Oct-2003, "dick" wrote:

I once read an article on this. For example Schramsburg is also labeled
as
Champagne.

Do you mean to say "Schramsberg"? If so, where exactly do you find the word
"Champagne" on the label? Schramsberg is a sparkling wine from California
made in the "Methode Champenoise." "Method Champenoise" is the method by
which Champagne is made, but it does not imply that it is Champagne, the
region in France. There is a HUGE difference in calling a sparkling wine
"Champagne", which some very cheap wines do, and indicating that you make it
in the "Methode Champenoise".
Old 26-10-2003, 08:31 AM
Michael Pronay

"CabFan" wrote:

Do you mean to say "Schramsberg"? If so, where exactly do you
find the word "Champagne" on the label?

He

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/food/...de/schramsberg.
label.rose.jpg

or

http://makeashorterlink.com/?M27921656

It clearly reads "NAPA VALLEY CHAMPAGNE".

Schramsberg is a sparkling wine from California made in the
"Methode Champenoise." "Method Champenoise" is the method by
which Champagne is made, but it does not imply that it is
Champagne, the region in France. There is a HUGE difference in
calling a sparkling wine "Champagne", which some very cheap
wines do, and indicating that you make it in the "Methode
Champenoise".

Sorry, you're plain wrong. From their Homepage:

http://www.schramsberg.com/jschram.html

| From the inception of our efforts in 1965, we have sought to
| achieve the greatest elegance and individuality possible in our
| champagnes.

M.

Champagne! Steve Pope General Cooking 0 28-11-2009 06:57 PM
Champagne! cshenk General Cooking 0 28-11-2009 05:27 PM
TN: Champagne, and more Champagne, at 11 Mad DaleW Wine 0 29-07-2009 09:33 PM
Champagne Frank Mancuso Winemaking 8 01-12-2006 04:53 PM
NV Champagne - take 2 EMRinVT Wine 6 13-11-2004 11:33 PM