Dale Williams

Default TN: wines with chicken "bouillabaisse"

Last night a diverse group of friends joined us for a buffet dinner. Betsy made
a chicken "bouillabaisse" (a Provencal fricasee with chicken, fennel, garlic,
and Pernod, with an aioli accompaniment), green beans with bacon and Roquefort,
salad, and more.

My wine of choice with the stew was a rosé, based on some experiments with
this recipe a couple years ago. I had purchased the 2003 Clos Roche Blanche
Pineau d'Aunis Rosé (Touraine) in early summer based on my good experience with
the '02, then after some very derogatory comments on another group, never
opened it during Summer Rosé Prime Time. But this was only rosé other than a
'93 Tondonia in my cellar, and I opened. Hey, maybe a step behind the '02 but I
think this isn't bad at all. A little sweetness, but decent acidity for a hot
vintage and a nice interplay of strawberry, mineral, and basil aromas. Not bad
at all, and the hint of sweetness went well with the spiciness of the
bouillabaisse (never asked Betsy what she did differently, this had some heat
to it). B/B+

Of course, rosés aren't for everyone, so some other wines made their
appearances:
2003 Andre Iché "Les Hérétiques" (VdP de l'Hérault) . Riper, rounder, and
redder than previous vintage, with more a red plum note than the '02's
blackberry fruit. Some flowers and a hint of leather on the nose, a
crowdpleaser. Not as good as the '02, but still a QPR winner at $7. B

1999 Ch. La Gaffeliere (St. Emilion)
This is a chateau that I've liked in a rather traditional lean style. This is
indeed lean, but also rather short. There's a classic Right Bank nose of black
plums and cedary oak, but the short finish (and a little dilution) make this at
most an OK wine, but probably a poor value. B/B-

1999 Zind-Humbrecht Gueberschwihr Riesling
It's all the rage to dismiss ZH, and I think in general Olivier Humbrecht does
better with the aromatic varietals, but this is a nicely balanced wine. I
thought a bit sweet at first, but finishes rather dry (though not austere).
Definite smoke and petrol above the apple/lemon fruit. B+

1999 Westerly Vineyards Merlot (Santa Ynez)
This was a gift. I admit to scepticism going in, while I'm no Miles "I'm not
drinking any Merlot" type, I do find that Merlot from warmer climates seldom
rings my bell (I think Santa Ynez is warm? Maybe I'm wrong- I'm not sure if
that's more Paso Robles or Santa Barbara). In any case my bells remained unrung
- this is intense deep Merlot, and fairly restrained with the oak, but the ripe
sweetness (probably technically dry, but impression of sweetness from the
ripeness) and some dense tannins make it seem heavy to me. Still, I'd try
again, though next time with a big rare steak. A B last night, but maybe
potential for more in a better situation.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a
good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where
it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy,
and certainly not of consistency
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Tom S

"Dale Williams" > wrote in message
> Not bad
> at all, and the hint of sweetness went well with the spiciness of the
> bouillabaisse (never asked Betsy what she did differently, this had some
> heat
> to it).

Sounds like a woman after my own tastes! Whatever you do, don't complain.
I hardly ever get anyone to cook me a gourmet meal. :^(

> 1999 Westerly Vineyards Merlot (Santa Ynez)
> This was a gift. I admit to scepticism going in, while I'm no Miles "I'm
> not
> drinking any Merlot" type, I do find that Merlot from warmer climates
> seldom
> rings my bell (I think Santa Ynez is warm? Maybe I'm wrong- I'm not sure
> if
> that's more Paso Robles or Santa Barbara).

The Santa Ynez Valley - at least toward the East - is warm for Santa Barbara
County, although probably not as warm as Paso Robles. Frankly, I'm not
crazy about Merlot or Cabernet from this area, although I've tasted a few
exceptions.

This is a region that's seeking its wine identity. Recently there has been
a rush to plant Rhône varietals there, with some success. Syrah seems to do
pretty well there, and there's some Mourvedre planted as well. Most of the
plantings are not more than 10 years old. Look how long it's taken other
areas to come into their own. Ten years is the blink of an eye by
comparison.

Tom S

DaleW

thanks for info re Santa Ynez, Tom. I tend to like Rhone varietals more
from warmer spots (ie Paso Robles). Happy New Year.