Old 14-12-2013, 06:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default bouillabaisse for one

It's a single serving - or so they claim!
http://leitesculinaria.com/47859/rec...llabaisse.html

Old 14-12-2013, 11:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2013 1:09 PM, sf wrote:

It's a single serving - or so they claim!
http://leitesculinaria.com/47859/rec...llabaisse.html

Hmmmm. Despite some people's apparent disbelief, I couldn't eat a pound
of mussels in a bowl of soup!

I do like mussels, though I did get a bad one once and wouldn't care to
repeat that experience!

Jill
Old 14-12-2013, 11:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2013 4:54 PM, jmcquown wrote:

I do like mussels, though I did get a bad one once and wouldn't care to
repeat that experience!

So quit lifting weights...
Old 15-12-2013, 12:15 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2013 6:54 PM, jmcquown wrote:

Hmmmm. Despite some people's apparent disbelief, I couldn't eat a pound
of mussels in a bowl of soup!

I do like mussels, though I did get a bad one once and wouldn't care to
repeat that experience!

It must have been at last 25 years ago that my wife got sick on mussels
that she had had at lunch that day. She won't touch them anymore. It was
more than 40 years ago that I got a bad dose of food poisoning. She was
almost as sick as I had been. I suffered vicariously and lost my taste
for mussels. I was never all that thrilled about the. I thought they
were okay, but they are not worth the risk of getting that sick.

As for the bouillebaisse, a pound of mussels isn't a heck of a lot. They
are mostly shell and I don't know anyone who eats the shells.

Old 15-12-2013, 12:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2013 7:15 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
On 12/14/2013 6:54 PM, jmcquown wrote:

Hmmmm. Despite some people's apparent disbelief, I couldn't eat a pound
of mussels in a bowl of soup!

I do like mussels, though I did get a bad one once and wouldn't care to
repeat that experience!

It must have been at last 25 years ago that my wife got sick on mussels
that she had had at lunch that day. She won't touch them anymore. It was
more than 40 years ago that I got a bad dose of food poisoning. She was
almost as sick as I had been. I suffered vicariously and lost my taste
for mussels. I was never all that thrilled about the. I thought they
were okay, but they are not worth the risk of getting that sick.

As for the bouillebaisse, a pound of mussels isn't a heck of a lot. They
are mostly shell and I don't know anyone who eats the shells.

True, but they would sure overcrowd the bowl! Even if I'd never had a
bad mussel, I don't want to pick the meat out of shells from a bowl of
soup. It sounds rather messy to me.

If I were going to make bouillabaisse (which I'm not, but thanks for
posting the link, sf!) I certainly wouldn't make it for *one*.

Jill

Old 15-12-2013, 05:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2013 8:50 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
Its mostly shell and liquor.

-sw

Story of your life for sure....
Old 15-12-2013, 06:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 14, 2013 12:09:00 PM UTC-6, sf wrote:
It's a single serving - or so they claim!

http://leitesculinaria.com/47859/rec...llabaisse.html

what a gross-ass...you suck.
Old 15-12-2013, 10:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Dec 2013 18:54:15 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

On 12/14/2013 1:09 PM, sf wrote:

It's a single serving - or so they claim!
http://leitesculinaria.com/47859/rec...llabaisse.html

Hmmmm. Despite some people's apparent disbelief, I couldn't eat a pound
of mussels in a bowl of soup!

A pound of mussels is only about 1/3rd lb of meat (on a good day).
Its mostly shell and liquor.

Perhaps she is like me in that looking at a huge portion (shutup Sheldon)
puts me off before I even start to eat. I understand that there is little
meat but just seeing all that on my plate ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 15-12-2013, 12:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2013 1:09 PM, sf wrote:

It's a single serving - or so they claim!
http://leitesculinaria.com/47859/rec...llabaisse.html

Hmmmm. Despite some people's apparent disbelief, I couldn't eat a pound
of mussels in a bowl of soup!

A pound of mussels is only about 1/3rd lb of meat (on a good day).
Its mostly shell and liquor.

What would you expect from someone who can't eat a 4 ounce pizza...
Old 15-12-2013, 12:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Perhaps she is like me in that looking at a huge portion (shutup Sheldon)
puts me off before I even start to eat. I understand that there is little
meat but just seeing all that on my plate ...

Yes! I always say that I don't like "big food", meaning a large portion on
my plate. I don't like seeing it on other people's plates either so prefer
not to dine at places that do that but... I can eat least not look at the
other plates.

Old 15-12-2013, 01:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Perhaps she is like me in that looking at a huge portion (shutup Sheldon)
puts me off before I even start to eat. I understand that there is little
meat but just seeing all that on my plate ...

Yes! I always say that I don't like "big food", meaning a large portion on
my plate. I don't like seeing it on other people's plates either so prefer
not to dine at places that do that but... I can eat least not look at the
other plates.

Why in the world would other people's plates concern you at all?
That's very odd to me.

G.
Old 15-12-2013, 02:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2013 1:09 PM, sf wrote:

It's a single serving - or so they claim!
http://leitesculinaria.com/47859/rec...llabaisse.html

Hmmmm. Despite some people's apparent disbelief, I couldn't eat a pound
of mussels in a bowl of soup!

A pound of mussels is only about 1/3rd lb of meat (on a good day).
Its mostly shell and liquor.

-sw

True, but as I mentioned to Dave, picking the meat out of mussel shells
from a bowl of soup also sounds terribly messy.

Jill
Old 15-12-2013, 02:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote:

(shutup Sheldon)
I understand that there is little eat but just seeing all that on my plate ...

Then why would you order bouillabaisse... it's served in a large bowl
but it's essentially a watery fish broth... and normal folks don't eat
the bivalve shells (those shells would certainly irritate uranus).
Bouillabaisse is one of the lowest calorie foods on a restaurant
menu... and restaurants don't typically serve a very large portion
anyway, at most seafood eaterys it's primarilly served as an appetizer
(soup course), few order it as an entree.

Yes! I always say that I don't like "big food", meaning a large portion on
my plate. I don't like seeing it on other people's plates either so prefer
not to dine at places that do that.

So how did you get to be taller lying down than standing... you got to
weigh over 300 pounds by eating baby portions, eh?
Miss Piggy --- https://myspace.com/juliebove
Yoose all are such BSers.. there's not an honest cell in your obeastie
bodies. I seriously doubt any of yoose has ever eaten bouillabaisse,
I'm certain none of you three tons of fun has ever prepared it...
yoose don't even have a clue what it is, obviously, or yoose all
wouldn't be bitching how it's too much food. Bouillabaisse is
typically brought to table in a large tureen and portions ladled into
normal sized bowls... no one eats directly from the tureen unless
you're a big fat sow. And no eatery prepares bouliiabaisse for one...
if you order it for one they bring a normal sized bowl, a single
serving.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouillabaisse
http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Bouillabaisse
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...abaisse-238411
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/e...ipe/index.html
A typical portion:
http://www.steamykitchen.com/wp-cont...ecipe-9350.jpg
The more I read your posts the more I believe yoose BSers dine at the
drive thru... you've never eaten bouillabaisse, I've never seen it
served for one with a dozen mussels... maybe yer tawkin mussels
marinara, a very different dish... and still a couple dozen mussels in
tomato sauce on its own is not a very filling dish, most folks consume
a half loaf of eyetalian bread with it for sopping and it almost
always arrives with a side of ****ghetti. I don't think any of yoose
has ever been to a REAL seafood restaurant. Jill lives on an island
in the Atlantic yet to date has never mentioned eating seafood, not at
home, not at her Kaiser Klub... something about that picture is very
wrong. I've lived most of my life within walking distance of the sea,
and have eaten at countless seafood restaurants. Many don't serve
bouillabaisse because it's not something prepared by the single
portion, it doesn't store well, and it's not a very popular dish
because a lot of people don't like fish broth, I love it but many
don't. It's not a dish I would prepare just for one or two, it's best
to have bouillabaisse at a good seafood restaurant... and it doesn't
pay to prepare it with frozen seafood, blech!
Old 15-12-2013, 02:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2013 1:09 PM, sf wrote:

It's a single serving - or so they claim!
http://leitesculinaria.com/47859/rec...llabaisse.html

Hmmmm. Despite some people's apparent disbelief, I couldn't eat a pound
of mussels in a bowl of soup!

A pound of mussels is only about 1/3rd lb of meat (on a good day).
Its mostly shell and liquor.

-sw

True, but as I mentioned to Dave, picking the meat out of mussel shells
from a bowl of soup also sounds terribly messy.

So then you've never actually eaten mussels... eating mussels is
no more messy than eating shrimp or chicken... in fact eating mussles
is not messy at all, the shells pop open and the meat practically
falls out on its own... you don't need to touch them other than with
your fork... you do use silverware?
Old 15-12-2013, 02:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/14/2013 1:09 PM, sf wrote:

It's a single serving - or so they claim!
http://leitesculinaria.com/47859/rec...llabaisse.html

Hmmmm. Despite some people's apparent disbelief, I couldn't eat a pound
of mussels in a bowl of soup!

A pound of mussels is only about 1/3rd lb of meat (on a good day).
Its mostly shell and liquor.

-sw

True, but as I mentioned to Dave, picking the meat out of mussel shells
from a bowl of soup also sounds terribly messy.

Ditto!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/