Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1999 Tenuta dell'Ornellaia Masseto

I had some friends visiting and I opened a bottle of 1999 Masseto to enjoy with homemade braciole that I made with flank steak and braised on my homemade sauce with my homemade papardelle. I still have a number of bottles of Masseto from a variety of vintages but the 1999 was one of my favorites. The wine shows no signs of age and is a medium reddish purple. The nose was initially tight but opened after some air with plum and aromatic herbal notes. Smooth on the palate with fine grained tannins and a minerality from start to finish. Raspberry and red currant with hints of black coffee and anise. Really well balanced. My favorite Merlot. "A"
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 10:05:34 AM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:
> I had some friends visiting and I opened a bottle of 1999 Masseto to enjoy with homemade braciole that I made with flank steak and braised on my homemade sauce with my homemade papardelle. I still have a number of bottles of Masseto from a variety of vintages but the 1999 was one of my favorites. The wine shows no signs of age and is a medium reddish purple. The nose was initially tight but opened after some air with plum and aromatic herbal notes. Smooth on the palate with fine grained tannins and a minerality from start to finish. Raspberry and red currant with hints of black coffee and anise. Really well balanced. My favorite Merlot. "A"

I've only had Masseto once, I think the '98, and it was pretty impressive. I tend to prefer Sangiovese to Bdx-grape-Super Ts, but if less expensive I might look for this.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 8:36:36 AM UTC-4, DaleW wrote:
> On Tuesday, June 6, 2017 at 10:05:34 AM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:
> > I had some friends visiting and I opened a bottle of 1999 Masseto to enjoy with homemade braciole that I made with flank steak and braised on my homemade sauce with my homemade papardelle. I still have a number of bottles of Masseto from a variety of vintages but the 1999 was one of my favorites. The wine shows no signs of age and is a medium reddish purple. The nose was initially tight but opened after some air with plum and aromatic herbal notes. Smooth on the palate with fine grained tannins and a minerality from start to finish. Raspberry and red currant with hints of black coffee and anise. Really well balanced. My favorite Merlot. "A"

> I've only had Masseto once, I think the '98, and it was pretty impressive.. I tend to prefer Sangiovese to Bdx-grape-Super Ts, but if less expensive I might look for this.

Masseto retails for a ton these days. I bought Masseto every year from the year it was released when I was in the business and I was paying distributor prices. I quit buying it years ago and I only have a few left. I beleive release price these days is north of $600.

TN: Arv comes to NY- Piedmonts, Rhones, Ornellaia and more DaleW Wine 0 28-09-2015 08:01 PM
1998 Ornellaia Bi!! Wine 0 26-09-2012 12:55 PM
2003 Tenuta di Trinoro Vino da Tavola Bi!! Wine 0 12-06-2010 03:22 PM
TN: '97 Tenuta Marchese Antinori CCR Mark Lipton Wine 1 17-09-2005 09:31 AM
Tenuta Il Corno 1997 Gibbione Gary Wine 8 28-07-2005 02:28 PM