Posted to alt.food.wine

Default fleur de bacchus, cheval noir la fer, Vieux Sarpe, tondonia 2004

Im in Madrid where it is funny, you can walk in a supermarket and find Tondonia R red and white, Vina real GR, Ardanza R, imperial R and GR!

It unfortunately not much cheaper than outside Spain. it is more the fact that it is easy to find. Also jamon iberico is like 191 euros per kg.

Other wines of note in my continued Bordeaux craze:

2007 Château Vieux-Sarpe *****

before I had this I thought I did not like st. emillion, but this one was just perfect. forest floor, cedar, tobacco, pencil shavings, nice tannin level, and fresh acids to keep it fresh in the mouth. I loved it.

2013 Château Cheval Noir Le Fer ***

This is a good wine, no doubt. but it is 45 euros. it is on par with cheaper wines, like 25-30 euros, like Lunelli Ziggurat. it is uncomplicated fresh cherries, medium tannins. Having had bordeaux wines at 40euros with much more forest floor, mushroom, cedar tobacco, even 25 euro supermarket paulliac much more complex, Id's say: never buy again. Go for Cantemerle instead. if st. emillion then Chateau Vieux Sarpe

2011 La Fleur de Bacchus ****

very good buy on sale. nice dry Bordeaux, a bit light , and overpriced at its normal price (200kr), but on sale for 100kr it's a steal.

2012 Haut-Carles Fronsac ***

Very good Bordeaux in the style that Napa meritage is copying. I got it in sale, and at the price it is great pqr. (23 euro) I think the "before" price was fake, though. its dark fruits, chassis, earthy, grainy tannins as I like it. but sometimes it is a bit too yoghurty. think Ill not buy again after 3 bottles...

2004 R. López de Heredia Rioja Reserva Viña Tondonia ****(*)

Had this right after a 45euro st. emiliion, and it was almost siruppy in comparison. The Last tondonia I had was 2001 reserva and this one is the most siruppy tondonia I ever had. very surprising. Here in madrid you can walk in to a supermarket and buy this. It is very hard to find normally. tondonia is one of my favourite wine series, after I tried 1984 grand reserva back in 2000. tondonia is normally a pretty light, ethereal , acidic, yet alluring adventure. This is powerful and spicy, a fat sensation in the mouth.