Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Pomerol, Loire, Liguria, Alto Piemonte

I had a speech in Rye, but Betsy held dinner for me. This is Ottolenghi seafood with tomato week for us, so she made the scallop/shrimp/clam with tomato and feta.
2014 La Bettigna Vermentino (Colli di Luni)
Nutty/appley, good acids, a bit advanced? C+

Thursday I took her to Saint George in Hastings, took a couple of wines. She had lobster bisque (with lobster meat) and duck breast with plum and spinach with a Bordelaise sauce; I had ricotta dumplings (maitake, black garlic, sage) and mustard-crusted cod with Brussels sprouts and cauliflower and the Bordelaise sauce. Ordered a glass of white for the lobster and in case the Bordelaise sauce didnt make the cod red-friendly enough, and chose the red Bordeaux over the CFE.

2014 Daniel Reverdy Sancerre (by glass)
Last of a bottle, but it was fresh, and then they freshened from a new bottle. Granny smith, lemon, just a hint of grass. Plenty of fruit, plenty of acid backbone. Nice BTG pour B+/B

1998 Ch. Bourgneuf (Pomerol)
A little bit of funk I dont remember from previous bottles (different source). Black plums, coffee, a little cigarbox and that touch of barnyard. Mostly resolved tannins, medium acidity, good length. B+/A-

Pork chops with orange (great easy Franey recipe) , parsleyed rice, carrots, and the 2007 Vallana Gattinara. Nice midweight Nebbiolo, black cherry with some cedar and rose petal, juicy acids, light tannins. B

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 12/17/16 2:17 PM, DaleW wrote:

> 1998 Ch. Bourgneuf (Pomerol)
> A little bit of funk

I dont remember from previous bottles (different source). Black plums,
coffee,

a little cigarbox and that touch of barnyard. Mostly resolved tannins,
medium acidity, good length. B+/A-

I found the Bourgneuf to be too funky to drink. We tried the 1998 last
week at a tasting and both my wife and I declared it barnyard, barnyard.