Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Listen to the Sommelier (Alto Adige, Loire, Rhone)

Yesterday was the worst day I've had in quite some time. In between normal work and ice scraping, I apparently managed to drop by wallet by parking meter not far from office. When I realized, it was gone - though some scattered business cards, Metrocard, etc made it clear someone had found it. I had gotten extra cash to cash checks for parttime workers, so out about half-week's pay- as well as drivers license, credit cards, etc. What a sucky day.

However, dinner partially made up for it. Some friends had given me a gift certificate to Alto for my 50th this fall. Betsy will be away Valentine's Day, so this was our early celebration. We drove down, found easy parking, and entered the attractive restaurant. We then proceeded to have the best meal I've had in a while.

OK, the food. The amuse was a shot glass of warm cauliflower soup with chives and salmon roe. Betsy got mushroom soup surrounding a mound of ricotta accented with truffles. My starter was squab breast with what reminded me of the best Boston baked beans I've ever had. My pasta was a large ravioli filled with truffled cheese and a beautifully runny egg, with mushrooms and sweetbreads. Betsy got pasta with mussels in a saffron cream sauce, and they gave us a bonus pasta dish- Betsy called it chitarra with shaved broccoli, uni, and clams. My main was branzino in a rich sauce with sautéed spinach and crispy cauliflower bits; Betsy could only make a dent in a huge veal chops with a cream sauce and cardoons. Betsy enjoyed chocolate gelato and pomegranite sorbet, but adored the roasted pear sorbet, I finished with goat cheese (Selles sur cher) . Everything was delicious, if one closed one's mind to any concerns re cholesterol - this was rich stuff!

As to the wine….I'm a geeky wineguy, and usually have fun choosing my wine, though after my disaster I reduced my mental budget a bit. Decided to go with a bottle of white, and eyed an Aligote, a couple Rieslings, a Pieropan La Rocca, a Verdicchio. But I realized our sommelier was Levi Dalton, who had made great by the glass suggestions when we were at Convivio (same group of restaurants). So I said "I'd like a bottle of white, we're having the prix fixe with some seafood but also some richer stuff, I'd like to keep it in the $50-75 range, and I'm really geeky and would like to try something new." He suggested an Alto Adige white, the 2009 Kuen Hof Silvaner. OK, I'll admit, Italian Silvaner is not something I'd ever think of. But this guy knows (and praises) the wine, and knows the food. And the fact I'd have never chosen it myself is kind of the point, right? So let's try it.

2009 Kuen Hof Silvaner
Lean, tensile, minerally. Citrus fruit, a saline edge. A really lovely wine that spanned a lot of complex dishes well, and opened/changed throughout evening. He gave me choice of keeping on ice or on table, I chose former which might have been a mistake, as a glass that sat for a while filled out with air and warmth. I'd never have chosen this wine on my own in 20 tries, but now it's something to look for. Ranks with the absolute best Franken silvaners I've ever had. A-

So, the suggestion was a great success. But there was a surprise (wait, 2!).. Since I had described myself as geeky and expressed interest in something different, all of the sudden he shows up with a bottle of the 1996 Francis Cotat "La Grande Cote Cuvee Speciale." Said since I was geeky I might like to try this, a wine from a superhot vintage that the Cotats (I think the brothers were still sharing cellar at this point?) let retain some residual sugar. Very cool and funky wine, with a HUGE exotic nose. Spearmint, fig, tropical fruits, Fresca. Despite the big ripe body, lots of chalky minerality showing on finish. As Betsy succinctly put it "I've never tasted anything quite like this." She saved some and it did well with the chevre (I stole hers). I alternated between loving this and being perplexed by it. B+/A- ?

And that wasn't the end of it. When Betsy's veal arrived, he showed up again with the remainders of a half bottle of 2006 Vernay Condrieu, saying the Silvaner wasn't quite big enough for the veal. The Condrieu certainly was, a rich full wine replete with floral/musky notes. Very interesting wine, though probably my least favorite of the three, unlike the Sancerre the ripeness seems to overtake the acidity, a bit fat (though for Condrieu this had reasonable acidity). I've enjoyed a lot of Condrieu, but never found one I'd want to pay the fare for - but this one was free! : B/B+.

All in all, my incredibly shitty day was made much better by a innovative and generous sommelier (and an attentive service staff and creative kitchen).. The bonus pours were amazingly generous, but really the best part was trying a wine that went beyond my expectations and that was out of my comfort zone. Sometimes it pays to put aside one's geeky control self and learn from someone who really knows their stuff.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/4/11 11:02 AM, DaleW wrote:
> Yesterday was the worst day I've had in quite some time. In between
> normal work and ice scraping, I apparently managed to drop by wallet
> by parking meter not far from office. When I realized, it was gone -
> though some scattered business cards, Metrocard, etc made it clear
> someone had found it. I had gotten extra cash to cash checks for
> parttime workers, so out about half-week's pay- as well as
> drivers license, credit cards, etc. What a sucky day.

Ouch!! That really does suck, Dale. I'm so sorry to read of your
troubles and I'm glad that you got a little bit of pleasure out of the day.

<SNIP story>

Bravo to Levi for treating you so well! He can be a bit prickly when
posting to the Internet, but he sounds like a very generous and
professional sommelier. Some day maybe I'll get a chance to visit Alto
and see for myself. Interesting sounding group of wines, Dale. In the
past, I've really liked Vernay's Condrieu (this was Georges, right?
There's another, less excellent Vernay IIRC) and I thought that '06
wasn't too hot in the N Rhone, so it's odd that your wine was so low in
acid. Is it possible that the Silvaner and Cotat had altered your palate?

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 4, 9:02*am, DaleW > wrote:
> [...]
>
> All in all, my incredibly shitty day was made much better by a innovative and generous sommelier (and an attentive service staff and creative kitchen). The bonus pours were amazingly generous, but really the best part was trying a wine that went beyond my expectations and that was out of my comfort zone. *Sometimes it pays to put aside one's geeky control self and learn from someone who really knows their stuff.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Sorry to hear about the crappy day. My wife is having a similar one
trying to fly to Virginia but not getting past Dallas and this is
Superbowl weekend, not a room in the area so it may be floor sleeping
time. She is currently in the wine bar in terminal C and at least she
is getting some good wine out to the deal. Great sounding dinner Dale.
I have a bottle of the 2006 Vernay Condrieu. Did not think of having
it with veal but there is a veal chop in the freezer and this sounds
great for batching it.