Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Liguria, Val d'Aoste, Beaujolais, Loire, Chablis

Friday I thawed some guinea hen legs in a leek sauce and opened the 2009 Terres Dorees (JP Brun) “L’Ancien” Beaujolais VV. Pretty Gamay nose, on palate quite some weight and concentration. B+
(I had forgotten these have a fake cork, this was fine - and held up well till Sunday- but moving rest up to immediate consumption racks)

There was actually more sauce than I expected, and didn’t think the leek/morel really complemented the Brun, so added some Chinese noodles and opened the 2011 Bisson Ciliegiolo Portofino rose. Minerally, fairly deep color, red fruit, enjoyable. B

Sunday Betsy was coming back from concerts in Maine via Boston by Amtrak, train was delayed, but eventually made it home in time to fix dinner for Dave and his friend Matt, who were returning from an upstate wedding. Dinner was chilled sorrel soup, lobster/corn/tomato over mesclun, caprese, and sauteed snap peas. We tried the open red and rose, as well as the
2009 Defaix “Cote de Lechet” Chablis 1er. This came across as round and ponderous, yet without much concentration. Not what I’m looking for in Chablis. B-/C+

Monday Betsy made “green garlic puttanesca” and broccoli while I drove Dave to airport, I opened the 2008 Les Cretes “Cuvee Bois” Chardonnay. I’ve liked the Petite Arvine and some reds from Les Cretes, but this was a bit of a stylistic shock ( ok, I guess the Bois should have been a clue). Big with a definite hit of vanillin oak, not what I was expecting from les Cretes. But I got over my erroneous expectations, I began to like the wine more. Under the oak is some vibrant acid, good texture, and floral and mineral notes. In a way this is a bit Puligny like. Will put away remaining bottle for a while to see how oak integrates. B+

Tuesday was seared scallops with dry long beans, with the 2010 Karine Lauverjat Sancerre. Good acids, light to midbodied, citrus and grassy notes, nice. B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.