Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 1995 and 2000 Chateau Pichon-Baron

In keeping with my plan to reduce my cellar I opened to Chateau Pichon Baron's last night from 1995 and 2000 to go with grilled 2" thick Waygu Porterhouse steaks. It was hard to fathom that these two wines came from the same Chateau. The 1995 was pretty old school Pauillac. Medium reddish purple in the glass with a bare hint of brick. Nose of black coffee, pencil shavings, barnyard, cassis and tart cherry. Medium weight on the palate, black cherry, charcoal, cedar and coffee. Quite tight with a firm acid backbone. The 2000 was deep purple in the glass almost black. Opulent nose of blackberry brandy, currants, cassis. Very ripe on the palate showing deep black fruits, and black cherry. Very ripe and concentrated,with low acidity and smooth tannins. Had "Parkerization" taken place or was this just a product of the 200o vintage...or both?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, June 28, 2016 at 1:03:58 PM UTC-4, Bi!! wrote:
> In keeping with my plan to reduce my cellar I opened to Chateau Pichon Baron's last night from 1995 and 2000 to go with grilled 2" thick Waygu Porterhouse steaks. It was hard to fathom that these two wines came from the same Chateau. The 1995 was pretty old school Pauillac. Medium reddish purple in the glass with a bare hint of brick. Nose of black coffee, pencil shavings, barnyard, cassis and tart cherry. Medium weight on the palate, black cherry, charcoal, cedar and coffee. Quite tight with a firm acid backbone. The 2000 was deep purple in the glass almost black. Opulent nose of blackberry brandy, currants, cassis. Very ripe on the palate showing deep black fruits, and black cherry. Very ripe and concentrated,with low acidity and smooth tannins. Had "Parkerization" taken place or was this just a product of the 200o vintage...or both?

Thanks for the notes. I like the '95 a lot, but trying to hold off as only have couple mags left.
I liked the 2000 more than you last year
"Young and powerful (double-decanted night before!), big cassis fruit, some leather and forest floor. This will be a beaut. "

[TN] '95 Pichon-Baron Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 3 19-06-2009 09:02 PM
[TN] '90 Pichon-Baron Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 4 10-01-2009 03:09 PM
Pichon Baron '97 graham[_1_] Wine 1 12-08-2007 03:54 PM
TN: '79 Pichon Baron, '05 Huet, '93 Bouchard, etc DaleW Wine 9 23-01-2007 08:20 PM
My 1996 Pichon-Longueville Baron experience Vincent Wine 5 11-08-2004 04:03 PM