Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: '79 Pichon Baron, '05 Huet, '93 Bouchard, etc

Friday Betsy made fried chicken, broccolli, and biscuits. I usually
think rose with fried chicken, but felt like opening the 2005 Huet "Le
Haut Lieu" Vouvray Sec. Baked apples and a faint hint of cinnamon, this
is more a sec-tendre style and all the better for it in my opinion.
Excellent acidity, nice touch of minerality on finish (the long finish
I should say). Usually I concentrate on the demi-sec Huets but I want
more of this. A-

Monkfish in a kind of Provencal sauce (olives, tomatoes, garlic, etc) .
Recipe used a little wine, I probably should have gone and tried to
find something white Rhonish, but used what was upstairs, the 2004 Paul
Pernot Bourgogne Blanc, and then had with dinner. White pears, a little
hazelnut, a pleasant white Burg but that didn't quite thrill me as much
as previous bottles- maybe the difficult match? B

Sunday my group had our annual meeting, I was out all day while Betsy
did a grand job preparing for friends to come for dinner. I usually do
at least the appetizers, but she did it all- I just chose wines the
night before and picked up cheese. One couple missed a time change, and
showed up a half-hour early, but Betsy was on top of her game and we
went with the flow, enjoying the extra time for conversation, her
gaucamole,and the 2005 Burgans Albarino (Rias Biaxas). Good citrus and
tropical fruit, fresh acidity, not especially deep but a pleasant fun
wine for $9. B

We went to table, where the first course was a cream of watercress
garnished with caviar.

2002 Donabaum Spitzer Point Grüner Veltliner Smaragd
I had ordered this from a winemonger.com sale- they ran out, but sent
my bottles from one of the owners' (Emily's) private stash- service
above and beyond, typical of winemonger.com. This GV seems pretty
reticent at the moment - there's a typical white pepper note over some
white fruit, but more seems to be lurking, Judgement reserved, will
report after revisiting tonight.

2003 Feudi di San Gregorio Rubrato Aglianico
Forward modern style of Aglianico, I opened this because of one
attendee's preference for ripe young red wines. Blackberry and plum
fruit, a little anise and herb, very soft. Modern styled Aglianico, ok.
B/B-

With the bone-in rack pork roast, a green bean/sundried tomato/olive
side, and roasted potatoes:

1993 Bouchard Pčre et Fils "Clos St. Marc" Nuits St. Georges1er
Very funky at first, but an hour of slow aeration (no decanting) led to
a cleaner nose. High acidity, still some tannins, but with rather
elegant black cherry fruit and a stony finish. Very nice with the pork,
and better than Bouchard's rep from the era. B/B+

1979 Pichon Baron (Pauillac)
After decanting, I wasn't at all happy with this. The fruit had a tired
pruney note to it, and there was a strange almost metallic accent. But
20 minutes did it a world of good, and a lighter yet tasty mature
claret emerged- black plum and cassis, fully resolved tannins, some
leather and loamy forest floor. But by cheese course it was tasting
tired again, and by cleanup time it was straight to the vinegar crock.
For a few moments it was in B+ land, but overall I'm generous to give
it B-

There was a salad intermezzo of green apples and celeriac, then the
cheese course (Tallegio, Cheshire, and Cowgirl Creamery Pierce Point)
and a dessert of macerated fruit with vanilla ice cream. Someone joked
about syrup for the ice cream, a perfect time to open the NV Alvear
Solera 1927 Pedro Ximenez. Several did indeed try it on their ice
cream, it was certainly thick enough. Caramel, raisins, figs, spiced
nuts. I enjoy the first miniscule sip, even the second, but beyond that
it's too cloying for me. I think it's pretty popular around the table,
though- a B-/C+ for me, but others like far better.

Fun night.

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article . com>,
"DaleW" > wrote:

> [...]
> cheese course (Tallegio, Cheshire, and Cowgirl Creamery Pierce Point)
> and a dessert of macerated fruit with vanilla ice cream. Someone joked
> about syrup for the ice cream, a perfect time to open the NV Alvear
> Solera 1927 Pedro Ximenez. Several did indeed try it on their ice
> cream, it was certainly thick enough. Caramel, raisins, figs, spiced
> nuts. I enjoy the first miniscule sip, even the second, but beyond that
> it's too cloying for me. I think it's pretty popular around the table,
> though- a B-/C+ for me, but others like far better.
>
> Fun night.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I had the exact same experience with the 1979 Pinchon Baron. I had
stored it perfectly but it was tired and worn out last February.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On day 2 the Rubrato was pretty oxidized. How can one make Aglianico so
soft?
The Donabaum was much more open, with a rather broad oily texture,
somewhat like a big trocken Riesling. Green pea and apple, good length.
Nice wine, though not an especially good pairing with pasta carbonara

DaleW wrote:
> [...]
> cheese course (Tallegio, Cheshire, and Cowgirl Creamery Pierce Point)
> and a dessert of macerated fruit with vanilla ice cream. Someone joked
> about syrup for the ice cream, a perfect time to open the NV Alvear
> Solera 1927 Pedro Ximenez. Several did indeed try it on their ice
> cream, it was certainly thick enough. Caramel, raisins, figs, spiced
> nuts. I enjoy the first miniscule sip, even the second, but beyond that
> it's too cloying for me. I think it's pretty popular around the table,
> though- a B-/C+ for me, but others like far better.
>
> Fun night.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
>
> I had the exact same experience with the 1979 Pinchon Baron. I had
> stored it perfectly but it was tired and worn out last February.

I hear much better reports re the Pichon Lalande, and look forward to
trying it.

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> On day 2 the Rubrato was pretty oxidized. How can one make Aglianico so
> soft?
> The Donabaum was much more open, with a rather broad oily texture,
> somewhat like a big trocken Riesling. Green pea and apple, good length.
> Nice wine, though not an especially good pairing with pasta carbonara

Interesting, Dale. Looking back at my notes, I find that I had the '01
version of this wine (yum!) and the '02 Loibnergarten Smaragd from
Donabaum, both of which were superb. I don't doubt for an instant that
pasta carbonara didn't show it to its fullest extent ;-)

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
>> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
>>
>> I had the exact same experience with the 1979 Pinchon Baron. I had
>> stored it perfectly but it was tired and worn out last February.

> I hear much better reports re the Pichon Lalande, and look forward to
> trying it.

No big surprise. IIRC, Baron in that era was considered a notorious
underachiever, and only came into the forefront after a change in
ownership in the '80s. Confirmation?

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

I thought that the change came in mid-70s, the '81 is at least good and
the '82 quite good. But up until the excellent 1990 there are still off
efforts. This wasn't expensive, part of a lot with other wines I
actually wanted, by my calculations I probably paid virtually nothing
(I'd have paid the same or close for lot w/o the Baron).

The good thing about the rough period is that for my tastes the Baron
since '90 is often the equal (or close) to the P-Lalande, yet typically
sells for half.

Mark Lipton wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > Lawrence Leichtman wrote:
> >> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
> >>
> >> I had the exact same experience with the 1979 Pinchon Baron. I had
> >> stored it perfectly but it was tired and worn out last February.

> > I hear much better reports re the Pichon Lalande, and look forward to
> > trying it.
> >

> No big surprise. IIRC, Baron in that era was considered a notorious
> underachiever, and only came into the forefront after a change in
> ownership in the '80s. Confirmation?
>
> Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton wrote:
I don't doubt for an instant that
> pasta carbonara didn't show it to its fullest extent ;-)

In the interest of marital harmony, sometimes when there are 3 open
bottles one chooses NOT to open a new one.

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article . com>,
"DaleW" > wrote:

> Mark Lipton wrote:
> I don't doubt for an instant that
> > pasta carbonara didn't show it to its fullest extent ;-)
> >

> In the interest of marital harmony, sometimes when there are 3 open
> bottles one chooses NOT to open a new one.

Ah, marital bliss.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article . com>,
"DaleW" > wrote:

> I thought that the change came in mid-70s, the '81 is at least good and
> the '82 quite good. But up until the excellent 1990 there are still off
> efforts. This wasn't expensive, part of a lot with other wines I
> actually wanted, by my calculations I probably paid virtually nothing
> (I'd have paid the same or close for lot w/o the Baron).
>
> The good thing about the rough period is that for my tastes the Baron
> since '90 is often the equal (or close) to the P-Lalande, yet typically
> sells for half.
>
> Mark Lipton wrote:
> > DaleW wrote:

> > > I hear much better reports re the Pichon Lalande, and look forward to
> > > trying it.
> > >

> > No big surprise. IIRC, Baron in that era was considered a notorious
> > underachiever, and only came into the forefront after a change in
> > ownership in the '80s. Confirmation?
> >
> > Mark Lipton

Longeuville has always appealed more to my taste but even the '79
Longueville was tired the last time I tasted it. I still have one more
bottle but am not eager to taste it. I think it was '79, many French
wines from that vintage faded faster than they should have.

1995 and 2000 Chateau Pichon-Baron Bi!! Wine 1 29-06-2016 08:35 PM
[TN] '95 Pichon-Baron Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 3 19-06-2009 09:02 PM
[TN] '90 Pichon-Baron Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 4 10-01-2009 04:09 PM
Pichon Baron '97 graham[_1_] Wine 1 12-08-2007 03:54 PM
TN: Issan, Bouchard, Huet DaleW Wine 3 06-03-2007 03:11 PM