Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Broken Bdx, wrong white, lovely Chambolle & Loire, etc

First cellar accident in decades. Well, not really cellar, basement outside the cellar= overflow area. Moving some stuff that I was cleaning out, a containers of office supplies slipped, bounced, and knocked over 2 bottles in the ondeck circle. One survived, the other broke. Cleaned up glass, filtered about 4 ounces remaining of the 2006 La Tour Mons (Margaux). Pretty tannic, hard, but this was a quick taste not really an examination. Rest to vinegar jar.

Tuesday was our anniversary, just time for a quick dinner before Betsy had to go to meditation circle. I made pasta with radishleaf pesto and mushrooms and a salad. Wine was the 2001 Drouhin Chambolle-Musigny. Ready to go, delicious red and black cherry fruit, a little smoked meat, some spice. Tannins resolved, acids bright and balanced, nice length. Delicate but not fragile. Just what I want in a village Chambolle. A-/B+
Drinking well but I wouldn't hold for extended period, begins to show some ashtray after 2 hours, and sample following day is maderized.

When Betsy got back we had a glass of the white used for cooking the mushrooms. Hmm, this isn't how I remember the Couly-Dutheil Chinon blanc- no wool, very light bodied, a little grassy. Oh, wait. I changed my mind while in cellar grabbing bottles, this doesn't taste like Chenin Blanc because it isn't. I put that back and tasted the 2014 Gonnet Chignin blanc. Light and a little grassy makes sense now. B-

Wednesday Betsy was headed to Texas for concerts, I grilled skirt steak and eggplant. Wine was the 2013 Lapierre Raisins Gaulois. Bright, crackling raspberry fruit, a little funk. Fun and easy. B/B+

Thursday I poached some cod, carrots, and parsnips in a clam/garlic broth. Wine was the 2014 Pepiere Muscadet (dS&M Sur lie). Citrus, saline/seashells, crisp, lovely. B+

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW > wrote in
:

> First cellar accident in decades. Well, not really cellar, basement
> outside the cellar= overflow area. Moving some stuff that I was
> cleaning out, a containers of office supplies slipped, bounced, and
> knocked over 2 bottles in the ondeck circle. One survived, the other
> broke. Cleaned up glass, filtered about 4 ounces remaining of the 2006
> La Tour Mons (Margaux). Pretty tannic, hard, but this was a quick
> taste not really an examination. Rest to vinegar jar.

Never good news when a breakage occurs, but I am sure this was not the most
precious bottle in your cellar so you were lucky in a way.

> Tuesday was our anniversary, just time for a quick dinner before Betsy
> had to go to meditation circle. I made pasta with radishleaf pesto and
> mushrooms and a salad. Wine was the 2001 Drouhin Chambolle-Musigny.
> Ready to go, delicious red and black cherry fruit, a little smoked
> meat, some spice. Tannins resolved, acids bright and balanced, nice
> length. Delicate but not fragile. Just what I want in a village
> Chambolle. A-/B+ Drinking well but I wouldn't hold for extended
> period, begins to show some ashtray after 2 hours, and sample
> following day is maderized.

Congratulations on the anniversary. A good Burgundy is always a wine to
celebrate at my house too.

what is wrong with white women? Richard K. General Cooking 1 11-11-2012 07:08 PM
what is wrong with white women? Richard K. General Cooking 0 11-11-2012 07:10 AM
TN: Loire pink bubbly, Chambolle, SuperT DaleW Wine 2 06-09-2010 09:17 PM
TN: Alsace white, Loire red DaleW Wine 0 13-03-2009 11:38 PM
TN: Loire red and white, Cal Chard DaleW Wine 1 06-12-2008 05:07 AM