Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Loire red and white, Cal Chard

Back in NY, Betsy went for something different than we'd had in South,
she made cockles, squid, and shrimp in a tomato sauce over pasta, with
some chard with raisins and pinenuts. Wine was the 2005 Boulay "Les
Monts Damnes" Sancerre*, a lovely bigger styled SB. Ripe fruit but
clean acidity, citrus and gooseberry, flinty mineral notes, a little
oregano. B+

Sunday Betsy performed a bit of magic on some leftovers (turkey and
dressing we transported back was enlivened by fresh sage, some
pancetta enlived pasta, etc), wine was the 2006 Breton "Franc de
Pied"
*Bourgueil. Man, this is a good week. Another lovely wine, clean
bright black plums and cherries, just a hint of herbs on the nose. On
the palate black cherries, berries, and earth; good length, fresh
acidity, moderate tannins. Nice on Sunday, even better on Monday. B++

Tonight a roast chicken with brown rice and salad, not enough Cab
Franc to make it through dinner, so we opened a bottle my brother had
given me, the 2006 The Landing Chardonnay (California). I think this
is a private label bottling especially for a restaurant in Bahamas
that my brother's friend is involved with. My expectations are quite
low.And on first opening I get a blast of slightly rancid butter, I
think "this is gonna really suck." But whatever that was quickly blew
off. Turns out to be a pretty decent Chardonnay, light oak notes,
just a hint of (non-rancid) butter, fresh pear fruit. B/B-

*

Posted to alt.food.wine

That Breton sounds very tasty. Nice note - I'll have to look that one
up (as I've been intrigued by my couple of experiments with Cab Franc
- it's a grape I definitely want to explore more of, especially given
what's available in my ideal budget range).

TN: Penedes red, Loire white DaleW Wine 0 26-04-2016 03:43 PM
TN: white PN from Rheingau, Cali Syrah and Chard, Steen DaleW Wine 0 28-07-2014 04:22 PM
TN: Alsace white, Loire red DaleW Wine 0 13-03-2009 11:38 PM
TN- Burg rose and Loire white DaleW Wine 0 12-06-2007 12:48 AM
TN: TTG#10 -- Summer Wines? (Champ, Rosé, Riesling, Chard, Loire) Jim Wine 2 07-09-2006 04:41 PM