Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Yikes! Prohibition?

No posts in my reader lately for this ng.

( Guess I should stop lurking,and contribute........ :-(

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 10:12:16 PM UTC+1, greybeard wrote:
> No posts in my reader lately for this ng.
>
> ( Guess I should stop lurking,and contribute........ :-(

What's the last wine you had?
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Michael Nielsen" > wrote in message
| On Thursday, February 12, 2015 at 10:12:16 PM UTC+1, greybeard wrote:
| > No posts in my reader lately for this ng.
| >
| > ( Guess I should stop lurking,and contribute........ :-(
|
| What's the last wine you had?

2013 Esk Valley Merlot/Cabernet Sav/Malbec.
Consumer/supermarket style wine. Good value, and has won a gold medal
and trophy in a
local wine competition. That possibly overstates the quality, but a nice
wine.

http://www.wineshow.co.nz/WineShowPu...14&Category=12

( I stopped posting TN's about 10 years ago after being ticked-off
posting a note on a wine that was
unlikely to be known in international markets, very small production and
higher priced. Clearly not
french because those characteristics do not apply to a TN from burgundy
! :-((
By pure chance, the producer IIRC was/is Esk Valley, and I still have a
couple of bottles.)

cheers.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 10:57:12 +1300, greybeard wrote:

> 2013 Esk Valley Merlot/Cabernet Sav/Malbec.

OT, but is that like the Esk Valley in New Zealand? If so there is a
very fine ornamental maple from that valley called Acer pseudoplatanus
'Esk Sunset.' (Sometimes wrongly listed as 'Eskimo Sunset.') Check it
out!

I don't understand your latter comment, why shouldn't you post about a
small production wine only available to the US market? Certainly 10
years ago anyway this group was dominated by US correspondents.

-E

--
Questions about wine? Check the FAQ. http://winefaq.cwdjr.net
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Emery Davis`" > wrote in message
| On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 10:57:12 +1300, greybeard wrote:
|
| > 2013 Esk Valley Merlot/Cabernet Sav/Malbec.
|
| OT, but is that like the Esk Valley in New Zealand? If so there is a
| very fine ornamental maple from that valley called Acer pseudoplatanus
| 'Esk Sunset.' (Sometimes wrongly listed as 'Eskimo Sunset.') Check it
| out!

Hi Emery,
Yes, the Esk Valley in NZ. The Esk Valley Estate winery is located at
the northern
end of Napier City NZ. The road up the Esk Valley goes to Taupo, a town
at the
centre of North Isalnd beside the largest lake in NZ, a large volcanic
explosion crater,
and an area famous for its fine trout fishing.

I've driven up the road many times, the first part (out of Napier) winds
through lovely forest
but at the top of the valley you encounter miles and miles of very dull
plantation pine which
is logged for raw logs for China trade and some wood pulp for paper
making.
Checked out Acer pseudoplatanus on the web. Interesting.

cheers.

ps Last nights wine was 2013 Ch Lascaux rose. Very pale pink, lighter
than normal I think.
Soft,easy, could do with a bit more acidity for my taste. B- (on an
assumed Dale scale)

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 17/02/2015 3:17 PM, greybeard wrote:
> "Emery Davis`" > wrote in message
> | On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 10:57:12 +1300, greybeard wrote:
> |
> | > 2013 Esk Valley Merlot/Cabernet Sav/Malbec.
> |
> | OT, but is that like the Esk Valley in New Zealand? If so there is a
> | very fine ornamental maple from that valley called Acer pseudoplatanus
> | 'Esk Sunset.' (Sometimes wrongly listed as 'Eskimo Sunset.') Check it
> | out!
> |

> Hi Emery,
> Yes, the Esk Valley in NZ. The Esk Valley Estate winery is located at
> the northern
> end of Napier City NZ. The road up the Esk Valley goes to Taupo, a town
> at the
> centre of North Isalnd beside the largest lake in NZ, a large volcanic
> explosion crater,
> and an area famous for its fine trout fishing.
>
> I've driven up the road many times, the first part (out of Napier) winds
> through lovely forest
> but at the top of the valley you encounter miles and miles of very dull
> plantation pine which
> is logged for raw logs for China trade and some wood pulp for paper
> making.
> Checked out Acer pseudoplatanus on the web. Interesting.
>
> cheers.
>
> ps Last nights wine was 2013 Ch Lascaux rose. Very pale pink, lighter
> than normal I think.
> Soft,easy, could do with a bit more acidity for my taste. B- (on an
> assumed Dale scale)

I drove along that road a couple of weeks ago while on holiday in NZ.
Stayed at an up-market B&B run by a chef who poured a fabulous Neudorf
chardonnay at one dinner.
Graham
Posted to alt.food.wine

greybeard wrote:
> "Emery Davis`" > wrote in message
> | On Mon, 16 Feb 2015 10:57:12 +1300, greybeard wrote:
> |
> | > 2013 Esk Valley Merlot/Cabernet Sav/Malbec.
> |
> | OT, but is that like the Esk Valley in New Zealand? If so there is a
> | very fine ornamental maple from that valley called Acer pseudoplatanus
> | 'Esk Sunset.' (Sometimes wrongly listed as 'Eskimo Sunset.') Check it
> | out!
> |

> Hi Emery,
> Yes, the Esk Valley in NZ. The Esk Valley Estate winery is located at
> the northern
> end of Napier City NZ. The road up the Esk Valley goes to Taupo, a town
> at the
> centre of North Isalnd beside the largest lake in NZ, a large volcanic
> explosion crater,
> and an area famous for its fine trout fishing.

FWIW, I think that Esk Valley is one of the finest wineries in NZ,
despite being part of (IIRC) the Villa Maria empire. I've visited there
on both my visits to NZ (the first visit arranged by ex-Lord St. Helier)
and have been consistently impressed with the quality of the winemaking.
In fact, a bottle of Esk Valley Syrah came back with us from our last
visit, along with the obligatory bottles of Felton Road, Amisfield and
Martinborough Vyds.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
| greybeard wrote:
|
| FWIW, I think that Esk Valley is one of the finest wineries in NZ,
| despite being part of (IIRC) the Villa Maria empire. I've visited
there
| on both my visits to NZ (the first visit arranged by ex-Lord St.
Helier)
| and have been consistently impressed with the quality of the
winemaking.
| In fact, a bottle of Esk Valley Syrah came back with us from our last
| visit, along with the obligatory bottles of Felton Road, Amisfield and
| Martinborough Vyds.
|
| Mark Lipton

Yes, Esk V is part of the Villa Maria empire.
VM added the Te Awa and Kidnapper Cliffs brands a couple of years ago
to the list. Previously brands of Julian Robertson, US hedge fund
manager.

Esk V is known as one of the better exponents of merlot dominant wines.
The use of malbec in their blends helps, IMHO, to define the style.
A distinct point of difference.

greybeard

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 3:29:58 PM UTC-7, greybeard wrote:
> "Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> | greybeard wrote:
> |
> | FWIW, I think that Esk Valley is one of the finest wineries in NZ,
> | despite being part of (IIRC) the Villa Maria empire. I've visited
> there
> | on both my visits to NZ (the first visit arranged by ex-Lord St.
> Helier)
> | and have been consistently impressed with the quality of the
> winemaking.
> | In fact, a bottle of Esk Valley Syrah came back with us from our last
> | visit, along with the obligatory bottles of Felton Road, Amisfield and
> | Martinborough Vyds.
> |
> | Mark Lipton
>
> Yes, Esk V is part of the Villa Maria empire.
> VM added the Te Awa and Kidnapper Cliffs brands a couple of years ago
> to the list. Previously brands of Julian Robertson, US hedge fund
> manager.
>
> Esk V is known as one of the better exponents of merlot dominant wines.
> The use of malbec in their blends helps, IMHO, to define the style.
> A distinct point of difference.
>
> greybeard

Had a really nice tasting there in 2013. Very nice folks and really nice wines. Buy them whenever I can find them.

Prohibition on Sunday Wayne Boatwright General Cooking 1 23-11-2006 05:01 PM
Yikes!!! jmcquown General Cooking 0 14-08-2005 01:13 PM
Sacramental wine and Prohibition Leo Bueno Wine 10 24-08-2004 05:21 AM
Expert Warns: Prohibition May Come Back Paul Ruschmann Beer 33 09-01-2004 09:55 PM
Yikes! Her Serene Highness Chocolate 3 08-10-2003 02:29 PM