Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 8 US wines, 7 French wines, 1 Austrian wine, 1 US mead

Social overload week continues. Thursday we had a group of neighbors and friends for dinner. Hors d'oeuvres were marinated olives and canapes of crackers or cucumber slices with salmon or white bean spread (with or without olives). Greeting wine was the NV Piper-Heidsieck Champagne Brut. Lighter framed, good acids, green apple and bread dough. Not very long. B

Dinner was bouillabaisse plus Brussels sprouts, caprese salad, and a green salad.
2013 Mas de Gourgonnier rose (Les Baux de Provence)
Strawberries and herbs, medium acidity, good finish, nice with the stew. B

2010 de Villlaine Aligote (Bouzeron)
Lemony, sharp, lean but tasty. B

2013 Pepiere Muscadet
Saline and sapid, crisp and minerally. B++

1996 Joguet "Les Varennes du Grand Clos" Chinon
Black cherries, tobacco, earth, herbs, more tobacco. Fine showing B+/A-

1982 Ch. Roguet (Pomerol)
A grand old lady in her last days, still some black plum and cassis fruit, lusher texture. There's some incipient ashtray, needs to be drunk up, but giving pleasure. B/B+

2013 Clos du Roillete (Coudert) Fleurie
I think this is going to be a classic Fleurie. Red and black raspberries, moderate tannins, bright acids, cocoa, pepper, herbs. Drinking well, but I think will improve in cellar. B++

Fun night. Friday I was in charge of dinner- grilled herbed pork tenderloin, squash, asparagus, and bouillabaisse-flavored Israeli couscous. Wine was the 2007 Knoll Ried Schütt Riesling Smaragd- Lovely dry broad shouldered Riesling, with citrus, mineral, and smoke notes. Full flavored, balanced, long. A-

After dinner I prepared for the arrival of my local non-serious wine group. I had some local charcuterie (beef prosciutto, saucisson sec, chorizo), cheeses, grape leaves, and the like. Theme was California Red Wines from Bordeaux Varieties. Folks enjoyed the Knoll and Fleurie as we gathered. Then we headed to patio (gorgeous cool evening) for the blind wines

Wine #1 - Decanted in advance. I knew what it was as I supplied for a late invitee. Guesses were much younger. Plenty of dark fruit, midweight, resolved tannins, cocoa. Easygoing. Not complex, but tasty. 1997 Beringer Knights Valley Cabernet Sauvignon B

Wine #2= jammy, fruity, sweet. I guess Napa CS. Nope. 2012 Hahn Meritage (Central Coast)
35% Merlot, 34% Malbec, 27%Cabernet Sauvignon, 4 % Petit Verdot. B-/C+
Wine #3- a little better balanced and more structured, but somewhat clipped on finish.
2012 Gordon Estate Cabernet Sauvignon (Columbia Valley) B-
(Roger said "well it was in California section" )

Wine #4 - lots of eucalyptus makes it interesting, lots of oak detracts. Big, but not hot or overextracted. Less oak and I think I'd have liked this a lot. 2012 Frias Cabernet Sauvignon (St Helena, Napa) B-

Wine #5- Good showing. Red fruits, resolved tannins, balanced acids, cedar, leather. Guesses were 10-12 years old, probably group favorite. 1982 Burgess Vintage Selection Cabernet Sauvignon B+/A-

Wine #6 Just a whisper of oak, herby, medium bodied, surprised to see Santa Ynez
2012 Beckman Cabernet Sauvignon (Santa Ynez) B

Wine #7 Dark fruit, lots of green tobacco and herb, so I say it has a lot of Cab Franc. Once Marc confirms I can guess the wine, as we split a case when they were blownout 5-6 years ago. 2006 Havens Bourriquot B+

Wine #8 - acidic, but with interesting cassis fruit and lots of leather and barnyard. I guessed 70s, but would have never gotten region. Fun,. 1979 Navarro Cabernet Sauvignon B/B+

We also tried the Helderberg Meadworks Heritage. I gotta say I had trouble getting past the nose. I finally realized- stadium urinal- pee and urinal cakes. Actually on palate it was much friendlier, but I'm not switching from wine to mead any time soon.

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW > wrote in
:

> 1996 Joguet "Les Varennes du Grand Clos" Chinon
> Black cherries, tobacco, earth, herbs, more tobacco. Fine showing
> B+/A-

Joguet was one of the first Domaines from the Loire that I learnt to
appreciate. My last bottle, of this same vineyard and a lesser vintage
(could be 1999) was stunning.

Last week the wines shown up in 1jour1vin and I got a stash of different
vineyards, for the sake of memory.

> 1982 Ch. Roguet (Pomerol)
> A grand old lady in her last days, still some black plum and cassis
> fruit, lusher texture. There's some incipient ashtray, needs to be
> drunk up, but giving pleasure. B/B+
>
> 2013 Clos du Roillete (Coudert) Fleurie
> I think this is going to be a classic Fleurie. Red and black
> raspberries, moderate tannins, bright acids, cocoa, pepper, herbs.
> Drinking well, but I think will improve in cellar. B++

Those damned french, with their double consonants always in the wrong place
(I think it is Roilette).

Now seriously, this is a winery that is so under the radar in the french
guides (RVF plus BD) but has a strong following in UK and USA. I have had a
Cuvée Tardive and loved it. But difficult to find.

Last week here it was Georges Descombes Morgon 2009 which was astonishingly
good (A+) and Foillard Morgon Cote du Py 2010 that was very good specially
considering the vintage (B+/A) with a plus for its buvability (easy to
drink) and very nice red fruit with vivid acidity.

s.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sunday, September 28, 2014 4:19:04 AM UTC-4, santiago wrote:
> Joguet was one of the first Domaines from the Loire that I learnt to
> appreciate. My last bottle, of this same vineyard and a lesser vintage
> (could be 1999) was stunning.
>
> Last week the wines shown up in 1jour1vin and I got a stash of different
> vineyards, for the sake of memory.

Lucky you!

> Those damned french, with their double consonants always in the wrong place
> (I think it is Roilette).

Indeed, sorry about that

> Last week here it was Georges Descombes Morgon 2009 which was astonishingly
>
> good (A+) and Foillard Morgon Cote du Py 2010 that was very good specially
>
> considering the vintage (B+/A) with a plus for its buvability (easy to
>
> drink) and very nice red fruit with vivid acidity.

That Descombes is lovely. Ever had the Foillard 3.14? Great stuff
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW > wrote in
:

> Lucky you!

I will tell you when I drink them since I have no experience with the
Joguet under the new regime (post 2005).

I tend to drink quite some Chinon and have a preference for Baudry over
Alliet which I tend to find a bit "modern" in the oak use. Will see with
these Joguets. BTW, I have quite some Baudry's 2009 but I just could not
resist and purchased another bottle of Croix Boissée 2009 last friday. Will
go this week and I may end up buying yet another case.

>> Those damned french, with their double consonants always in the wrong
>> place (I think it is Roilette).

> Indeed, sorry about that

No need to say sorry. Hapenns to me a few times everyday. Frappato /
Frapatto is another one I never get right.

> That Descombes is lovely. Ever had the Foillard 3.14? Great stuff

Never had 3.14. I am now trying to try Daniel Bouland. BTW, the new cool
guy in Beaujolais seems to be Desjourneys. Ever had one?

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 29/09/2014 10:24 AM, santiago wrote:
> DaleW > wrote in
> :

> Never had 3.14. I am now trying to try Daniel Bouland.

what do you think of his wines. My favourite shop has a couple of his
wines, a Morgon and a Côtes de Brouilly but at $33 I have been a bit
reluctant to try them.
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

graham > wrote in :

> what do you think of his wines. My favourite shop has a couple of his
> wines, a Morgon and a Côtes de Brouilly but at $33 I have been a bit
> reluctant to try them.

Have not been able to try them, not available in Spain. Hopefully they will
show up in a french website of those that I patronize, but not till now.

I read that his wines are amongst the most affordable in -good quality-
Beaujolais Cru, so $33 seem a bit high to me.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 29/09/2014 10:48 AM, santiago wrote:
> graham > wrote in :
>>
>> what do you think of his wines. My favourite shop has a couple of his
>> wines, a Morgon and a Côtes de Brouilly but at $33 I have been a bit
>> reluctant to try them.

> Have not been able to try them, not available in Spain. Hopefully they will
> show up in a french website of those that I patronize, but not till now.
>
> I read that his wines are amongst the most affordable in -good quality-
> Beaujolais Cru, so $33 seem a bit high to me.

It's partly the shipping cost. I live in W. Canada.
Graham
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 9/29/14 12:24 PM, santiago wrote:
> DaleW > wrote in
> :
>

>> Lucky you!

> I will tell you when I drink them since I have no experience with the
> Joguet under the new regime (post 2005).
>
> I tend to drink quite some Chinon and have a preference for Baudry over
> Alliet which I tend to find a bit "modern" in the oak use. Will see with
> these Joguets. BTW, I have quite some Baudry's 2009 but I just could not
> resist and purchased another bottle of Croix Boissée 2009 last friday. Will
> go this week and I may end up buying yet another case.

You and me, both, Santiago. I have more of Baudry's on 2009s than any
other producers. All in all, I tend to prefer the Grezeaux to the Croix
Boissée, but that's largely about pricing ;-)

> Never had 3.14. I am now trying to try Daniel Bouland. BTW, the new cool
> guy in Beaujolais seems to be Desjourneys. Ever had one?

I've heard very good things about Bouland, but haven't yet had one. G.
Descombes is very good, however, as is Coudert/Roilette.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton > wrote in
:

> You and me, both, Santiago. I have more of Baudry's on 2009s than any
> other producers. All in all, I tend to prefer the Grezeaux to the
> Croix Boissée, but that's largely about pricing ;-)

That's interesting because, actually, what Chinon is famous for, which is a
soil of chalk (tuffeau) is more like Croix Boissée than like Les Grezeaux,
which is a soil with small stones. I like both but I find Les Grezeaux a
bit more difficult (specially with tannins). BTW, In 2009 I got Croix
Boissée and Clos Guillot in bottles and Grezeaux in magnums

BTW, in my last visit to the Domaine (last year), Matthieu told me that
2005 is a vintage of a lifetime for them and when I got home I was
reassured by watching my two cases

> I've heard very good things about Bouland, but haven't yet had one.
> G. Descombes is very good, however, as is Coudert/Roilette.

Today I got some bottles from idealwine in France. They are making a vente
à prix fixe of wines from Beaujolais. Got Daniel Bouland Morgon Corcelette
and Morgon Vielles Vignes (2012 and 2013), Foillard Corcelette and Cote du
Py 2012, Chignard Cuvée Spéciale 2012 and Descombes Morgon Vielles Vignes
2012. Sadly, no Coudert this time, but I still have a couple of bottles
from a previous sale.

12 bottles, 164 euro, plus 24 shipping. That's around 18 euro per bottle
and, frankly, wines drink so well without the need to keep them for very
long. One of the wine regions where I still find very good value. However,
I have also had some dissapointments, as was the case with Coquelet. My
only bottle of Thillardon was good but not outstanding.

I was wondering about Chateau des Jacques, but all the sales were for lots
of 6 bottles so I finally did not purchase.

s.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 11:27:21 -0700, DaleW wrote:

> 2013 Clos du Roillete (Coudert) Fleurie I think this is going to be a
> classic Fleurie. Red and black raspberries, moderate tannins, bright
> acids, cocoa, pepper, herbs. Drinking well, but I think will improve in
> cellar. B++

So as fate would have it I spotted this at the supermarket (left over
from the Foire aux Vins I think) and took home 3 bottles to try, before
reading your note! May I ask what this is going for elsewhere? They've
priced it at ‚¬10.70 which seems quite good to me.

We are not drinking on Tuesdays, so I haven't tried it yet.

A good deal? I may go back and get more.

-E

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 14:06:27 -0400, Mark Lipton wrote:

> You and me, both, Santiago. I have more of Baudry's on 2009s than any
> other producers. All in all, I tend to prefer the Grezeaux to the Croix
> Boissée, but that's largely about pricing ;-)

I like the straight Domaine. The 2009 is drinking beautifully, which is
why I don't have much of it!

Cheers,

-E

P.S. Hey Santiago do you have your dates for November yet? As usual
planning is getting more complicated...
Posted to alt.food.wine

Emery Davis > wrote in news:c90jcgFdnkhU2
@mid.individual.net:

> I like the straight Domaine. The 2009 is drinking beautifully, which is
> why I don't have much of it!

Wasn't it oxidized the last one you opened?

> Cheers,
>
> -E
>
> P.S. Hey Santiago do you have your dates for November yet? As usual
> planning is getting more complicated...

Yes, 5th or 6th will fit me. I sent you an email one minute ago.

s.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Emery Davis > wrote in news:c90j6nFdnkhU1
@mid.individual.net:

> So as fate would have it I spotted this at the supermarket (left over
> from the Foire aux Vins I think) and took home 3 bottles to try, before
> reading your note! May I ask what this is going for elsewhere? They've
> priced it at ‚¬10.70 which seems quite good to me.

I purchased Roilette Fleurie last year at idealwine and it was 9,50 euro /
bottle, and Cuvée Tardive at 11,50 euro / bottle.

> We are not drinking on Tuesdays, so I haven't tried it yet.
>
> A good deal? I may go back and get more.

If you are drinking on Wednesdays, you are just 47 minutes away to crack
one bottle and then decide whether you go to the supermarket tomorrow at
9am for more

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 30/09/2014 2:47 PM, Emery Davis wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 11:27:21 -0700, DaleW wrote:
>
>> 2013 Clos du Roillete (Coudert) Fleurie I think this is going to be a
>> classic Fleurie. Red and black raspberries, moderate tannins, bright
>> acids, cocoa, pepper, herbs. Drinking well, but I think will improve in
>> cellar. B++

> So as fate would have it I spotted this at the supermarket (left over
> from the Foire aux Vins I think) and took home 3 bottles to try, before
> reading your note! May I ask what this is going for elsewhere? They've
> priced it at ‚¬10.70 which seems quite good to me.
>
> We are not drinking on Tuesdays, so I haven't tried it yet.
>
> A good deal? I may go back and get more.
>
> -E

GOOD DEAL???? I'm paying ~‚¬18 and ~‚¬20 for the Cuvée Tardive! :-(
That's my fault for living in W.Canada, I suppose.
Graham
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 21:11:43 +0000, santiago wrote:

>> I like the straight Domaine. The 2009 is drinking beautifully, which
>> is why I don't have much of it!

> Wasn't it oxidized the last one you opened?

It was, I'd forgotten. The rest were gorgeous though. Settling my
calendar for your visit, will reply by email in a couple of days.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 21:14:16 +0000, santiago wrote:

> Emery Davis > wrote in news:c90j6nFdnkhU1
> @mid.individual.net:

[]
> I purchased Roilette Fleurie last year at idealwine and it was 9,50 euro
> /
> bottle, and Cuvée Tardive at 11,50 euro / bottle.

Yes me too on your recommendation. That was '12 though.

>> We are not drinking on Tuesdays, so I haven't tried it yet.
>>
>> A good deal? I may go back and get more.

> If you are drinking on Wednesdays, you are just 47 minutes away to crack
> one bottle and then decide whether you go to the supermarket tomorrow at
> 9am for more

Sadly Wednesday morning counts with Tuesday evening for us.

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 15:24:40 -0600, graham wrote:

> GOOD DEAL???? I'm paying ~‚¬18 and ~‚¬20 for the Cuvée Tardive! :-(
> That's my fault for living in W.Canada, I suppose.

Ouch. Of course there are other advantages in living where you do,
perhaps! I'm a supporter of the UBC arboretum, for example.

Still that's a lot.

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tue, 30 Sep 2014 21:14:16 +0000, santiago wrote:

> If you are drinking on Wednesdays, you are just 47 minutes away to crack
> one bottle and then decide whether you go to the supermarket tomorrow at
> 9am for more

I enjoyed the Coudert. A very good middle palate, I found more bell
pepper in the front and so wouldn't rate it quite as highly as Dale, but
I did like it enough to pick up a case!