Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Many wines- French, German, Austrian

Tuesday was one of those days, after work I took a sick Basset to the
vet (after maybe 2 hours sleep night before), then went on to a
speech. Betsy had a full schedule too, but picked up some chirashi
sushi and seaweed salad for our dinner on my return. I thought about
sparkling, but went with GV, the 2006 Schloss Gobelsburg "Steinsetz"
Grüner Veltliner. Pleasant lemon and apple fruit, a little pepper.
Pleasant enough wine, but a bit of a disappointment for '06 GV, I
quite preferred the cheaper Gobelsburg Gobelsburger. Thursday I had
some before using it to braise cabbage, held well. B-

Thursday I picked up some supermarket rotisserie chicken (hey, I was
tired!) and braised some cabbage and made salad. Wine was the 2005
Granger Moulin a Vent. Approachable for an '05 from a bigger cru,
sweet red plum and black cherry fruit, a hint of smoke. There are some
tannins in background, but nothing obtrusive. Nice, but for me
undistinctive, I'd happily drink but not search out. B

Friday Betsy was off- whoo hoo, Date Night! But we were both tired,
and agreed best dates can be at home. She broiled 2 rib steaks, served
with potatoes and pureed watercress. I opened a simple Bordeaux, the
2003 Vrai Canon Bouché (Canon-Fronsac). Very ripe, macerated cherries
and red berry fruit. Big for appelation, on verge of overripeness, but
a nice accompaniment to a steak, and I enjoy. Good value at $10. B

Saturday I thawed some pork/fennel sausage, made a fresh tomato sauce
and put the mix over pasta. Wine was the 2005 La Milliere Vieille
Vignes Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Red fruit, some spicebox, some tannins
that need some time. Moderate acidity. Not really exciting, hoping
some time will help. A little closed? OK Southern Rhone. B/B-

Sunday I spent the morning with speeches, but had afternoon free to
make dinner while Betsy worked. With pork spareribs with sauce,
grilled squash, and potatoes, the 2001 Meulenhof Erdener Treppchen
Riesling Spatlese. For my tastes, ready to go. Just a hint of petrol,
some clean slate and wet stone, peach fruit accented by green apple
and citrus. Nice wine, fine for producer, with the bonus of 8.5%
alcohol. Fun. B+/B

Tonight Betsy is in city, for two nights she's at an academic
conference/symposium (Aida and personal choice v. government!). My
dinner is some of her lunch leftovers, a pasta with tuna/olive sauce.
I'm thinking Freisa/grignolino, but what comes upstairs is the 2002
Domaine Bart"Les Champs Salomon " Marsannay. Great argument for a ripe
(but not overripe) vintage. More concentration than most Marsannays,
pretty Bing cherry fruit with just a hint of kirsch. Some earth,
smoke, cocoa powder. Good length, very pleasing. Wow for level. A-/B+

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> Tuesday was one of those days, after work I took a sick Basset to the
> vet (after maybe 2 hours sleep night before), then went on to a
> speech. Betsy had a full schedule too, but picked up some chirashi
> sushi and seaweed salad for our dinner on my return. I thought about
> sparkling, but went with GV, the 2006 Schloss Gobelsburg "Steinsetz"
> Grüner Veltliner. Pleasant lemon and apple fruit, a little pepper.
> Pleasant enough wine, but a bit of a disappointment for '06 GV, I
> quite preferred the cheaper Gobelsburg Gobelsburger. Thursday I had
> some before using it to braise cabbage, held well. B-

That *is* a bit of a shock, Dale. I have such high expectations for '06
and Gobelsburg is such a (normally) reliable producer. Go figger.

> Saturday I thawed some pork/fennel sausage, made a fresh tomato sauce
> and put the mix over pasta. Wine was the 2005 La Milliere Vieille
> Vignes Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Red fruit, some spicebox, some tannins
> that need some time. Moderate acidity. Not really exciting, hoping
> some time will help. A little closed? OK Southern Rhone. B/B-

Was this the NBI import? I have never been very impressed with that
producer FWIW. Just kind of ordinary and undistinguished.

> I'm thinking Freisa/grignolino, but what comes upstairs is the 2002
> Domaine Bart"Les Champs Salomon " Marsannay. Great argument for a ripe
> (but not overripe) vintage. More concentration than most Marsannays,
> pretty Bing cherry fruit with just a hint of kirsch. Some earth,
> smoke, cocoa powder. Good length, very pleasing. Wow for level. A-/B+

Good to hear, Dale. I was just looking at CSW's most recent mailer and
seeing the Bart '05s listed there. I have no firsthand experience with
Bart, so it's good to hear how he did in '02.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton > wrote:

>> ... 2006 Schloss Gobelsburg "Steinsetz" Grüner Veltliner ...
>> Pleasant enough wine, but a bit of a disappointment for '06 GV,
>> I quite preferred the cheaper Gobelsburg Gobelsburger.

> That *is* a bit of a shock, Dale. I have such high expectations
> for '06 and Gobelsburg is such a (normally) reliable producer.
> Go figger.

Schloss Gobelsburg is probably *the* most reliable producer nowadays
in Austria with an impeccable track record. But Michael Mossbrugger's
hard-core resistance to alternative closures can, of course, result
in a less than perfect bottle, which I presume was the case here.

But don't forget that Gobelsburg's GV lineup is impressive (from top
to basic):

- Lamm
- Grub
- Renner
- Steinsetz
- Allerheiligenstifung
- Messwein
- Lössterrassen

Outside the "Schloss Gobelsburg" range you have "Tradition" (old
fashion GV) and "Gobelsburger" from (at least patrly) bought-in
grapes.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 29, 11:39�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > Tuesday was one of those days, after work I took a sick Basset to the
> > vet (after maybe 2 hours sleep night before), then went on to a
> > speech. Betsy had a full schedule too, but picked up some chirashi
> > sushi and seaweed salad for our dinner on my return. I thought about
> > sparkling, but went with GV, the 2006 Schloss Gobelsburg "Steinsetz"
> > Grüner Veltliner. *Pleasant lemon and apple fruit, a little pepper.
> > Pleasant enough wine, but a bit of a disappointment for '06 GV, I
> > quite preferred the cheaper Gobelsburg Gobelsburger. Thursday I had
> > some before using it to braise cabbage, held well. B-

> That *is* a bit of a shock, Dale. *I have such high expectations for '06
> and Gobelsburg is such a (normally) reliable producer. Go figger.
>
> > Saturday I thawed some pork/fennel sausage, made a fresh tomato sauce
> > and put the mix over pasta. Wine was the 2005 La Milliere Vieille
> > Vignes Chateauneuf-du-Pape. Red fruit, some spicebox, some tannins
> > that need some time. Moderate acidity. Not really exciting, hoping
> > some time will help. A little closed? OK Southern Rhone. B/B-

> Was this the NBI import? *I have never been very impressed with that
> producer FWIW. *Just kind of ordinary and undistinguished.
>
> > I'm thinking Freisa/grignolino, but what comes upstairs is the 2002
> > Domaine Bart"Les Champs Salomon " Marsannay. Great argument for a ripe
> > (but not overripe) vintage. More concentration than most Marsannays,
> > pretty Bing cherry fruit with just a hint of kirsch. Some earth,
> > smoke, cocoa powder. Good length, very pleasing. Wow for level. A-/B+

> Good to hear, Dale. *I was just looking at CSW's most recent mailer and
> seeing the Bart '05s listed there. *I have no firsthand experience with
> Bart, so it's good to hear how he did in '02.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

The La Milliere is Village Wines Imports Ltd, NYC.

I've like Bart in past, especially actually the Marsannay rose. But
this was best I've had. Sadly, it was a single bottle on shelf at
Grapes (counter guy said records showed it sold out, I got lucky).

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 30, 7:38�am, Michael Pronay > wrote:
> Mark Lipton > wrote:
> >> ... 2006 Schloss Gobelsburg "Steinsetz" Grüner Veltliner ... *
> >> Pleasant enough wine, but a bit of a disappointment for '06 GV,
> >> I quite preferred the cheaper Gobelsburg Gobelsburger.

> > That *is* a bit of a shock, Dale. *I have such high expectations
> > for '06 and Gobelsburg is such a (normally) reliable producer.
> > Go figger.

> Schloss Gobelsburg is probably *the* most reliable producer nowadays
> in Austria with an impeccable track record. But Michael Mossbrugger's
> hard-core resistance to alternative closures can, of course, result
> in a less than perfect bottle, which I presume was the case here.
>
> But don't forget that Gobelsburg's GV lineup is impressive (from top
> to basic):
>
> - Lamm
> - Grub
> - Renner
> - Steinsetz
> - Allerheiligenstifung
> - Messwein
> - Lössterrassen
>
> Outside the "Schloss Gobelsburg" range you have "Tradition" (old
> fashion GV) and "Gobelsburger" from (at least patrly) bought-in
> grapes.
>
> M.

It might well have been the cork (I noticed the Gobelsburger is
screwcap), but some others said this just arrived, could be travel
shock also. Thanks for list.

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW > wrote:

> It might well have been the cork (I noticed the Gobelsburger
> is screwcap), but some others said this just arrived, could
> be travel shock also. Thanks for list.

You're welcome, I compiled it from the homepage.

M.