Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: French, Austrian, Israeli, and US wines

We had friends over for dinner both Friday and Saturday nights. Friday we started off with Betsy’s guacamole (with roast tomatillos) and the 2002 Huet Vouvray Petillant Brut. I opened this to check on reports of some advanced bottles. Not here! There’s a light note that could be a bit oxidative dancing around, but it doesn’t actually strike me as advanced at all- just a wooliness that is Chenin in all its funkiness. Pretty apple fruit, toast, lemon zest, good acids, long, retaste following night is fine. A-/B+

Then we moved out to the patio (lovely spring night) for skirt steak with a herb butter, asparagus risotto, & a kale salad. A few wines as well

2011 Berger Gruner Veltliner
Fresh, fruity, sweet peas and sweet apples, just a great value liter bottle.. . B

2011 Gonon St. Joseph
I was worried this might be closing down, but seemed pretty open. As good as I hoped- rich bright dark berry fruits, white pepper, roasted meat aromas.. Good balance, good length, supple tannins. A-

2011 Iche “Les Heretiques”
When a couple of dinner guests are ministers, one must have a heretical wine! This is to me the perennial red counterpart to the Berger GV- simple and straightforward (that is not a criticism), crowd-friendly, great value. Ripe, easy, fun. B

Saturday’s dinner was a bit of a last minute invite, we started simply with olives, marinated mushrooms, and bocconcini, wine was the NV Francois Montand Blanc de Blancs. A little coarse, sweet appley edge, others liked more than I did. B-/C+

Betsy made chicken schnitzel on an herb salad, potatoes, and a shiitake/asparagus stirfry.

2007 Ella Valley Vineyard Chardonnay (Israel)
Fairly substantial, oak and a little butter. pear fruit, not really my style but wellmade. B-

2008 H. Weimer Dry Riesling
Granny Smith, citrus, and a bit of petrol. Good acids, clean finish. B

2012 Stift Gottweig Messwein Rose
Strawberries, lime zest, nice acidic framework, clean flavors, balanced. B/B+

Tonight I made chorizo/mussels over pasta, with broccoli, watercress, and leftover whites from previous couple nights. The Berger showed well, the Weimer a step behind, the Ella Valley seemed hot (though only 14%).

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.