Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Napa Cabernet Notes

So I went to Napa to check out my favourite cabernet makers:

* Sequoia Grove

- 2012 Chardonnay ***
- 2006 Chardonnay ****
- 2010 Reserve Rutherford Cabernet ****
- 2006 Reserve Rutherford Cabernet *****
- 2008 Lamoreaux ***
- 2008 Stagecoach ***
- 2008 Morasoli *****
- 2009 Cambrium ***

Went away with the reserve 2010 and 2006, assuming that the 2010 will develop into *****.

Funny note: Morasoli is also Rutherford, so it seems I like the terroir in Rutherford. It felt a lot like an amarone. I was very close to getting this one , but wanted to hold onto my money and see what the others had to show..
Cambrium is their "taking on Insignia, Opus One, Screaming Eagle". It is very closed now. I waited for it in the glass to open up over the course of an hour and its just not ready to drink. I dont have the patience and conditions at home for this kind of wine.

* BV

- Chardonnay reserve 2011 ***
- Pinot Noir Reserve 2012 ***
- Tapestry Reserve 2010 ***
- Georges Latour Reserve Cab 2010 ****
- Georges Latour Reserve Cab 2001 *****
- Georges Latour Reserve Cab 1993 *****
- Georges Latour Reserve Cab 1986 ****
- Cabernet Reserve Clone 4 2009 *****

Went away with a 2009 Clone 4.

Did an extra head to head comparison of clone 4 2009 vs latour 2001 as they were both 140$ and was quite similar. The extra taste confirmed that they were indeed pretty close to eachother. despite the age difference they were on the same development stage.
Clone 4 was very slightly sweeter and peppery, Latour slightly more acid and tannin, which is why it is more for long time cellaring, while if you want a Latour to drink earlier, clone 4 is a good substitute.
Tapestry is french style fresh, grassy, acidic and tannic, which for me is not a good thing haha.

* Beringer

- Napa Valley Cab 2011 ***
- Knights Valley 2012 ****
- Napa Valley Merlot 2011 ***(*)
- Modern Heritage Pinot Noir 2012 ****
- Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2006 *****

Went away with Modern Heritage Pinot Noir 2012 and Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2006.

Napa Cab vs Knights cab confirmed what I already had an idea of, that I refer the Knights, as it is more earthy while the napa is fruitier. Also being cheaper, this is win win.

The merlot was surprisingly good for the price (20$), and the big surprise was the carneros Modern Heritage Pinot Noir. I normally prefer russian river pinot for the darker fruits and rougher texture, while carneros is normally fresher redder fruit and lacking body and structure, but this one was just wonderful.

I had to move to a separate room for the private reserve cabernet but to my surprise it was the best of all the wines I had today. So Beringer is not just all about appearances and celebrity name after all. Turns out they also ripped me off for it as they charged almost the same as the vintage my winestore has (2009) , while 2006 was cheaper (albeit sold out). Thats the trouble of not having internet roaming activated on the phone.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Saturday, July 19, 2014 11:38:43 PM UTC-7, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> [...]
>

> The merlot was surprisingly good for the price (20$), and the big surprise was the carneros Modern Heritage Pinot Noir. I normally prefer russian river pinot for the darker fruits and rougher texture, while carneros is normally fresher redder fruit and lacking body and structure, but this one was just wonderful.
>

> I had to move to a separate room for the private reserve cabernet but to my surprise it was the best of all the wines I had today. So Beringer is not just all about appearances and celebrity name after all. Turns out they also ripped me off for it as they charged almost the same as the vintage my winestore has (2009) , while 2006 was cheaper (albeit sold out). Thats the trouble of not having internet roaming activated on the phone.

We are having a wine dinner with Trujillo, the wine maker for Sequoia Grove and now his own Trujillo wines next month. It is a traveling show they call "mi casa es su casa". Michael is doing to get out his new wines but he will be bringing 5 Sequoia Grove wines as well. Will report them after the event.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 19 Jul 2014 23:38:43 -0700, Michael Nielsen wrote:

> So I went to Napa to check out my favourite cabernet makers:

Thanks for the notes, made good reading.

-E

--
Questions about wine? Check the FAQ. http://winefaq.cwdjr.net
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sunday, July 20, 2014 2:38:43 AM UTC-4, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> [...]
>

> The merlot was surprisingly good for the price (20$), and the big surprise was the carneros Modern Heritage Pinot Noir. I normally prefer russian river pinot for the darker fruits and rougher texture, while carneros is normally fresher redder fruit and lacking body and structure, but this one was just wonderful.
>

> I had to move to a separate room for the private reserve cabernet but to my surprise it was the best of all the wines I had today. So Beringer is not just all about appearances and celebrity name after all. Turns out they also ripped me off for it as they charged almost the same as the vintage my winestore has (2009) , while 2006 was cheaper (albeit sold out). Thats the trouble of not having internet roaming activated on the phone.

Haven't had a Seqouia Grove in ages but will try a bottle soon. Thanks for the notes and the reminder!

2002 Caymus SS Napa Cabernet Bi!! Wine 3 09-06-2015 01:45 PM
Beringer Napa Valley Cabernet 2010 Michael Nielsen[_4_] Wine 0 16-05-2015 12:44 AM
2004 Merus Napa Cabernet Bi!! Wine 0 11-02-2008 06:40 PM
1992 Mondavi Napa Valley Cabernet Bill S. Wine 4 02-06-2007 10:54 PM
TN: Musings on the '87 Dunn Napa Cabernet Mark Lipton Wine 2 28-08-2005 09:28 PM