Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2002 Caymus SS Napa Cabernet

With dry aged NY Strip steaks, twice baked potatoes, etc at my farm I opened a bottle of 2002 Caymus SS Napa Cabernet. As a disclaimer I must admit that I have been a long time fan of Caymus SS and this wine reminds me of why. Dark purple in the glass showing very little age. Effusive nose of crushed blackberries, cassis, espresso, black earth and mint. Smooth and supple on the palate with plenty of fruit. Currants, dusty berries, minerals and tight tannins. A perfect illustration of what California Cabernet can be.. A
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 3:27:57 PM UTC+2, Bi!! wrote:
> With dry aged NY Strip steaks, twice baked potatoes, etc at my farm I opened a bottle of 2002 Caymus SS Napa Cabernet. As a disclaimer I must admit that I have been a long time fan of Caymus SS and this wine reminds me of why. Dark purple in the glass showing very little age. Effusive nose of crushed blackberries, cassis, espresso, black earth and mint. Smooth and supple on the palate with plenty of fruit. Currants, dusty berries, minerals and tight tannins. A perfect illustration of what California Cabernet can be. A

That is one of the wines Ive always wanted to try some day. Sounds like my intuition is true
Posted to alt.food.wine

How would you say it compares to Stags Leap SLV if you tasted it?

and if you tasted the normal cabernet from Caymus, how does that compare to those I know well (beringers normal napa , knights valley, private reserve, sequoia grove normal and reserve, BV G. Latour and Clone 4)
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, June 8, 2015 at 1:41:49 PM UTC-4, Michael Nielsen wrote:
> How would you say it compares to Stags Leap SLV if you tasted it?
>
> and if you tasted the normal cabernet from Caymus, how does that compare to those I know well (beringers normal napa , knights valley, private reserve, sequoia grove normal and reserve, BV G. Latour and Clone 4)

I haven't had SLV or Beringer for years. Diamond Creek Microclimates, Shafer Hillside, Caymus SS, Ridge Montebello, Dalle Valle Maya, Harlan, Phelps Insignia, Mondavi Reserve, Heitz Martha's, Chateau Montelena, Flora Springs and Dominus are all wines that I still have a fair amount of in my cellar mostly purchased when I was in the business. They are all distinctive and different from each other.

2002 Caymus SS (3L) Bi!! Wine 2 24-06-2016 03:42 PM
2002 Flora Springs 25th Anniversary Napa Cabernet Sauvignon. Bi!! Wine 3 15-05-2012 11:25 PM
1996 Caymus Napa Valley Cabernet Bi!! Wine 0 03-05-2012 03:27 PM
2002 Palmaz Napa Valley Cabernet Suvignon Bi!! Wine 0 06-09-2011 03:14 PM
1996 Caymus Napa Valley Cabernet Bi!! Wine 2 28-03-2008 09:13 PM