Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Beringer Napa Valley Cabernet 2010

I found I had one of these in my rack. I dont buy this one as I prefer the Knights Valley, but my wife once bought this at a big tasting of 50 wines and she liked this one the most that night.

I found it interesting to try now that the current vintage of beringer knights valley is 2011, which I found is leaner than usual. Think I still gave it 4 stars last I had it.

Well, hows the 2010 napa valley appellation edition?

Upon opening, it was crude. dark fruits, cloves, sweet and lacking texture. Had lots of concentration.

Waiting a few hours while cooking. steaks, homemade fries, a kidneybean stew with bellpeppers and shrooms.

That dish mellowed the wine down a lot. Still found it lacking. Still no texture.

2nd day I tried with pork tenderloin with honey price glaze and pointy cabbage stewed with leeks and bacon in white wine ( a sicilian chardonnay).

Today it had a much nicer texture, hinting towards a lesser Quantum, but still on the crude edge with acid and hotness. The rough texture helps to brighten it up a bit.

Sticking with Knights valley even though the 2011s are leaner and the quantum when I feel like a step up.

So my one liner review is:

Beringer Napa Valley Cabernet 2010 ***

Dark fruits, cloves, crude, hot, no texture on first day, but it comes around the 2nd day. Go for the cheaper knights valley, or upgrade to quantum