Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN:SOBER does Gaia, Chave, Donnhoff, DDC, Soldera,Truchot,Mugneret,Overnoy, Sauzet, etc

John hosted our SOBER group last night. As we arrived, some nice
salmon canapés awaited, along with the 2002 Donnhoff
Schlossbockelheimer Felsenberg Riesling Spatlese. In the discussion of
the "official" wines this got lost, but it was an excellent way to
start the evening. Stony minerals, fresh cutting acidity, floral, lime
fruits. Excellent wine that's drinking extremely well. A-

On to the blind wines

Flight #1
#1 - Light petrol, grapefruit, pears, saline minerality, clean, good
length. Not the fruitiest Riesling in the world, but I liked (more
than table). 1988 Maximin Grünhäuser Abtsberg "Fuder 67" Riesling
Auslese B+/A-

#2 - Gasoline, weighty fruit, sweet, but corked. 1985 Fritz Haag
Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Lange Goldkapsel

Flight #2

#1 Tarry, red fruit, I was pretty sure it was Piedmont (oops). Seems
older than its flightmate, I liked at first but it wasn't doing well
in glass, odd clipped finish. 1993 Santa Restituta "Rennina" Brunello
di Montalcino - B-

#2 - now this is lovely, though I'm less certain its Barolo (Tim gets
Tuscany and eventually producer). Wonderful and long, kirschy (but not
overdone) red fruit, mushrooms, earth. 1993 Soldera "Case Basse"
Brunello di Montalcino A/A-

Flight #3
#1 What a change from previous flight. Big black plum and cassis nose,
I'm pretty certain we're on Right Bank for both of these. Nice fruit,
good acidity. I like this, but it does have a bit of a drying finish,
and a bit too much cigar ash on end for me to love. Have one of these
which I need to put in drink queue. 1978 Domaine de Chevalier(Graves).

#2 Expansive nose, soft and lush, berries and black plums, nice
length. Very very good. 1970 Domaine de Chevalier. B+/A-

We had a bonus blind bottle here, brought by Mark R. Sweet tangerines,
lemon, flowers,herb. I guessed a Smaragd Gruner, Mark says no. We
didn't come close to getting the 2005 Niellon "Clos St Jean" Chassagne-
Montrachet. Much easier to peg it as Burgundy once it was unveiled.
B+

Flight #4 (with an excellent dish of salmon with a salsa of peppers
and tomato).
#1 Some differences of opinion here. Some found it overly oxidized, I
got some nutty/oxidative notes I would just call mature. Rich pear and
hazelnut, a little ginger, a little tired but nice drink on its way
down. 1992 Sauzet "Referts" Puligny-Montrachet B+

#2 lemon curds and limes, fresher, lovely, a little pleasantly funky,
guesses centered around Meursault. 1992 Overnoy Arbois Pupillin B+/A-

Flight #5
#1 Sweet fruit, earth and mushrooms, Dan called Gevrey for both wines
immediately. Nice length, lots of live ahead. 1988 Truchot Charmes-
Chambertin Vieilles Vignes B+/A-

#2 A bit more herbal, lots of damp soil, more sweet fruit, mature but
not fading.1985 Georges Mugneret Ruchottes-Chambertin B+

Flight #6 (with a nice stew with chicken and sausage)
#1Blackberries and cassis (though others noted blueberries), lively,
good finish, quite a flight that this was my second favorite. 1991
Clape Cornas
A-

#2 Floral nose, deep red fruit, pavement, meat, olives, fantastic
length, a better bottle of the 1983 Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage than
one we had last year. A/A-

Great night, and I was glad to not be driving!

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> John hosted our SOBER group last night.

Was this John Gilman? FWIW, I am now a subscriber to VFTC, a B-day
present from Jean.

What a stupendous lineup of wines! No insightful comments, just wow.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 24, 12:50*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> [...]
> not fading.1985 Georges Mugneret Ruchottes-Chambertin B+
>
> Flight #6 (with a nice stew with chicken and sausage)
> #1Blackberries and cassis (though others noted blueberries), lively,
> good finish, quite a flight that this was my second favorite. 1991
> Clape Cornas
> A-
>
> #2 Floral nose, deep red fruit, pavement, meat, olives, fantastic
> length, a better bottle of the 1983 Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage than
> one we had last year. A/A-
>
> Great night, and I was glad to not be driving!
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

obviously should be Gaja
Posted to alt.food.wine

Great tasting!

DaleW wrote:
[]
> #2 lemon curds and limes, fresher, lovely, a little pleasantly funky,
> guesses centered around Meursault. 1992 Overnoy Arbois Pupillin B+/A-

fascinating! Arbois can be a real conundrum...

>[]
> Flight #6 (with a nice stew with chicken and sausage)
> #1Blackberries and cassis (though others noted blueberries), lively,
> good finish, quite a flight that this was my second favorite. 1991
> Clape Cornas
> A-

Great year, great producer, great bottle. Haven't had for many years,
wish I'd saved some.

> #2 Floral nose, deep red fruit, pavement, meat, olives, fantastic
> length, a better bottle of the 1983 Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage than
> one we had last year. A/A-

A real tribute that the Clape was the 2nd favorite of the flight!

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 24, 12:59*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > John hosted our SOBER group last night.

> Was this John Gilman? *FWIW, I am now a subscriber to VFTC, a B-day
> present from Jean.
>
> What a stupendous lineup of wines! *No insightful comments, just wow.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: *http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Yes, Gilman. I think you'll enjoy VFTC, even if you don't always
agree.
The problem of course is that one day in fall it'll be my turn to
host!

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 24, 1:02*pm, Emery Davis > wrote:
> Great tasting!
>
> DaleW wrote:
>
> []
>
> > #2 lemon curds and limes, fresher, lovely, a little pleasantly funky,
> > guesses centered around Meursault. 1992 Overnoy Arbois Pupillin B+/A-

> fascinating! *Arbois can be a real conundrum...
>
> >[]
> > Flight #6 (with a nice stew with chicken and sausage)
> > #1Blackberries and cassis (though others noted blueberries), lively,
> > good finish, quite a flight that this was my second favorite. 1991
> > Clape Cornas
> > A-

> Great year, great producer, great bottle. *Haven't had for many years,
> wish I'd saved some.
>
> > #2 Floral nose, deep red fruit, pavement, meat, olives, fantastic
> > length, a better bottle of the 1983 Jean-Louis Chave Hermitage than
> > one we had last year. A/A-

> A real tribute that the Clape was the 2nd favorite of the flight!
>
> -E

I can't say that overall I've been a huge fan of most of the Jura
wines I've tasted, but the winners can be real winners. This was the
Chardonnay by the way, not the Savagnin.

Of course, things can go wrong with natural wines:

http://the-stupids.com/wp/archives/1387
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 24, 1:02*pm, Emery Davis > wrote:

> Great year, great producer, great bottle. *Haven't had for many years,
> wish I'd saved some.

I should add I never let Clape have enough time.
Posted to alt.food.wine

[]
> I can't say that overall I've been a huge fan of most of the Jura
> wines I've tasted, but the winners can be real winners. This was the
> Chardonnay by the way, not the Savagnin.
>
> Of course, things can go wrong with natural wines:
>
> http://the-stupids.com/wp/archives/1387

Ack! That is one nasty piece of descriptive writing...

Not sure what it say about JD! (with all respect, etc)

-E