Posted to alt.food.wine

Default newbie question

Is wine dictated by the smooth silkyness texture and not by taste
preferance? Ive only had 3 bottles of wine that had this very smooth silky
texture (cabernet Sauvignon) Which someone had mentioned to me that the
smoothness is caused by the right conditions such as weather,growing
techniques,aging process, and several other factors. So Im concluding that
one of the factors that makes very good quality wine is this silky texture.
Better yet..Im thinking its the first number one factor before the others.
Am I wrong here?

Ed
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4/25/13 5:15 PM, Edwin wrote:
> Is wine dictated by the smooth silkyness texture and not by taste
> preferance? Ive only had 3 bottles of wine that had this very smooth silky
> texture (cabernet Sauvignon) Which someone had mentioned to me that the
> smoothness is caused by the right conditions such as weather,growing
> techniques,aging process, and several other factors. So Im concluding that
> one of the factors that makes very good quality wine is this silky texture.
> Better yet..Im thinking its the first number one factor before the others.
> Am I wrong here?

Each person decides on what sensations are most important to them in
wine or food. You like that silky texture; others may like a smell of
raspberries or a hint of sweetness in their wine. For me, it's more of
a Gestalt: it's the interplay of fruit, acids, tannins and alcohol that
must be in balance for a wine to be enjoyable. YMMV, as they say.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton > wrote in
:

> On 4/25/13 5:15 PM, Edwin wrote:
>> Is wine dictated by the smooth silkyness texture and not by taste
>> preferance? Ive only had 3 bottles of wine that had this very smooth
>> silky texture (cabernet Sauvignon) Which someone had mentioned to me
>> that the smoothness is caused by the right conditions such as
>> weather,growing techniques,aging process, and several other factors.
>> So Im concluding that one of the factors that makes very good quality
>> wine is this silky texture. Better yet..Im thinking its the first
>> number one factor before the others. Am I wrong here?

Silkyness is important, or not. But for sure it is not one of the typical
attributes of Cabernet Sauvignon.

> Each person decides on what sensations are most important to them in
> wine or food. You like that silky texture; others may like a smell of
> raspberries or a hint of sweetness in their wine. For me, it's more
> of a Gestalt: it's the interplay of fruit, acids, tannins and alcohol
> that must be in balance for a wine to be enjoyable. YMMV, as they
> say.

In my case, nose makes 80% of what I like in a wine.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 4/26/2013 9:44 AM, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 4/25/13 5:15 PM, Edwin wrote:
>> Is wine dictated by the smooth silkyness texture and not by taste
>> preferance? Ive only had 3 bottles of wine that had this very smooth silky
>> texture (cabernet Sauvignon) Which someone had mentioned to me that the
>> smoothness is caused by the right conditions such as weather,growing
>> techniques,aging process, and several other factors. So Im concluding that
>> one of the factors that makes very good quality wine is this silky texture.
>> Better yet..Im thinking its the first number one factor before the others.
>> Am I wrong here?

> Each person decides on what sensations are most important to them in
> wine or food. You like that silky texture; others may like a smell of
> raspberries or a hint of sweetness in their wine. For me, it's more of
> a Gestalt: it's the interplay of fruit, acids, tannins and alcohol that
> must be in balance for a wine to be enjoyable. YMMV, as they say.
>
> Mark Lipton

I am with Mark on this, mouth feel or texture is very important to me
and silky Merlot/Merlot blends such as St Emilion are some of my
favorites, but a little dash of menthol on a lingering finish . . . and
some very astringent wines may make my night, sometimes it is the
aromatics etc., it is the complexity of the possibilities that makes it
fun to enjoy wine and talk about it in forums such as this.

--
Joseph Coulter

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 25/04/2013 22:15, Edwin wrote:
> Is wine dictated by the smooth silkyness texture and not by taste
> preferance? Ive only had 3 bottles of wine that had this very smooth silky
> texture (cabernet Sauvignon) Which someone had mentioned to me that the
> smoothness is caused by the right conditions such as weather,growing
> techniques,aging process, and several other factors. So Im concluding that
> one of the factors that makes very good quality wine is this silky texture.
> Better yet..Im thinking its the first number one factor before the others.
> Am I wrong here?

Often wines are described as smooth when there is not really much else
good to say about them. I usually take it to mean "this is a cheap
wine, but not one of those characterful ones that can be nasty and harsh".

Having said that, smoothness can be a nice texture in some wines.
Usually I prefer something with a bit more texture if it is a red wine.
But as others have said, it is often the balance of all the
characteristics that makes a wine. And for me it would be boring if
every wine were silky smooth. Personal preference is a big factor too.

I think most wine buffs would say length (how long the flavours stay in
your mouth) and complexity (more or less how many different flavours you
get) indicate a good wine. But I am not sure I would necessarily agree
with that either.

--
www.winenous.co.uk

Newbie question Billi Preserving 3 06-09-2013 07:30 PM
Newbie Question Greg Horne Sourdough 11 04-01-2007 08:54 AM
Newbie question Marty Phee Winemaking 7 04-10-2005 04:42 PM
Newbie Question Doctor Evil Winemaking 4 10-09-2004 04:09 PM
Newbie Question Douglas Gaulin Winemaking 6 04-12-2003 07:48 PM