Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: summer wines

Some days were hot, but a nice week where it always cooled down enough to eat on patio.

The 2011 Domaine de Gournier rose was an ok apertif over several nights- sweet strawberry fruit, just enough acids to get by, a little herby note. I don’t actually see any appellation or area, which makes the “Indication Geographique Protegee” note on back a bit confusing. B-/C+

With sockeye salmon and Japanese eggplant with peanut sauce, we had a half bottle of 2007 Grivot Vosne-Romanee. Middle of the road, a touch blocky, red fruit, a little spice. Not bad, not exciting (my usual Grivot reaction, but I have trouble resisting Burg halves at good prices). B-

With $5/lb lobsters, caprese, green salad and corn, the 2009 Deux Montille Bourgogne Blanc. Full but with good acidity for a 2009, honied pear and floral elements, good length for level, enjoyable. B

Next night an lobster/avocado/seaweed amuse (with leftover white Burg) , then grilled ahi, sauteed spinach, and a watermelon/feta/mint salad. For the tuna, the 2004 Picque Caillou (Pessac Leognan). Mature, soft but not unstructured, midweight, clean black fruits. a little lead pencil. Pretty nice for $9! B+

With grilled butterflied leg of lamb, potatoes, and green beans, the 2009 Chave Mon Coeur Cotes du Rhone. Red fruits, a bit of herb, ripe but with a strange streak of acidity. I don’t generally claim to be able to spot winemaking but could this be acidified? Acid streak doesn’t seem fully integrated. A bit of heat too. B-/C+

Sunday I was wiped after a day hosting a picnic for 100 people, just ordered pizza (sausage, roasted pepper, mushroom). Wanted a red with a little chill, went with the “XI” (2011) Lapierre Raisins Gaulois. Now this has popping acidity, but it seems one with the wine. Fruit, fresh, funderful. B+

Monday tofu/broccoli/shiitake stirfry, plus a “green puttanesca” pasta, and the 2009 Van Volxem “Volz” Riesling. Peaches and ginger, full, maybe a bit rounder than my ideal. B

A friend brought by chicken and white bean chili, plus a napa/red slaw, I opened the 2011 Ducroux Regnie. This was (yet another) lesson in how snapshots aren’t the whole picture. If I had written a note on the first 30 minutes (grapey, a bit simple). But I really liked what emerged with some air- sweet red fruits, just a touch of leather/animal, floral, nice mineral finish. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

TN: Summer wines from all over DaleW Wine 2 07-07-2011 08:10 PM
TN: Summer wines from all over DaleW Wine 0 06-07-2011 07:07 PM
Summer Picnic Wines Bill S. Wine 0 08-08-2010 06:15 PM
TN: Wines on a summer eve (Gavi, PG, SB, Bdx, Zin) DaleW Wine 2 28-07-2009 05:38 PM
Summer wines Lawrence Leichtman[_1_] Wine 13 10-07-2007 06:32 PM