Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Summer wines

Since we are in the midst of the most summertime of holidays, what wines
are you drinking this year for the summer?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 4, 10:32 am, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> Since we are in the midst of the most summertime of holidays, what wines
> are you drinking this year for the summer?

I drink about the same wines in summer as in winter unless drinking
them outdoors, which I seldom do - too hot here and too many insects
such as wasps, bees, and hornets that are attracted by many wines.
Since I keep the temperature indoors about the same in summer as in
winter, I find little need to shift what I eat and drink from season
to season. Also, these days, there is little change in food supplies
from season to season, since much fresh food is imported from South
America, Australia, New Zealand, Africa, etc. when it is off season in
the US and Canada.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Lawrence Leichtman" > wrote in message
> Since we are in the midst of the most summertime of holidays, what wines
> are you drinking this year for the summer?

Right now? A Portuguese Famega Vinho Verde (slightly alcoholic soda pop) and
a Bridlewood Viognier.

--
Donald R. Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Lawrence Leichtman" > wrote in message
> Since we are in the midst of the most summertime of holidays, what wines
> are you drinking this year for the summer?

I am increasingly fond of white wines -- the lighter ones, for summer.
Sauvignon Blanc, Portuguese Vinho Verde (TERRIFIC sale at Bottle King,
although not a huge selection, here in NJ right now), sometimes a Pinot
Grigio, once in a while even a Riesling Kabinett. These go well with summery
salads and light foods.

YMMV.

Jay

Posted to alt.food.wine

We drink the same wines across seasons in spite of living in New England. My
wife and I prefer full-bodied reds although full-bodied whites are always
welcome. Last night, we sipped on Dynamite Cabernet Sauvignon ($18), an
outstanding mid-range California cab. In whites, we prefer Chardonnay and
Sauvignon Blanc.

Mike

"Lawrence Leichtman" > wrote in message
> Since we are in the midst of the most summertime of holidays, what wines
> are you drinking this year for the summer?

Posted to alt.food.wine

I do change my eating and wine habits somewhat in the summer. We usually eat
on patio as much as possible from April till October (those end months being
far iffier); additionally in summer we grill as much as possible so AC
needn't fight oven.

Food: We shop a lot at farmers markets, and choose according to what looks
good. Plus in winter we are much more likely to go for heartier fare (stews,
braises, etc) and root vegetables.

Wine: In summer I dramatically increase my rose consumption (favorites this
year so far include ones from Edmunds St John, Chivite, Cantalupo, and
others). I also drink more Riesling, especially Mosel kabinetts with their
low ABV. Tis the only time I drink vinho verde, and I drink more Sauvignon
Blanc. Red-wise I might go for a lightly chilled Loire Cab Franc more than I
would in winter.
"Lawrence Leichtman" > wrote in message
> Since we are in the midst of the most summertime of holidays, what wines
> are you drinking this year for the summer?

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 4, 11:32?am, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> Since we are in the midst of the most summertime of holidays, what wines
> are you drinking this year for the summer?

We tend to drink and eat outdoors a lot more in the summer. We have a
garden at our farm and take advantage of the fresh produce there and
from the Farmers market in the area. We tend to drink lighter styles
especially sparklers such as Prosecco, Cava, and Moscato di Asti (I
classify it as a sparkler). I tend towards more SB, GV and Reisling
and more Grenache, Rose and Pinot Noir.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Lawrence Leichtman" > wrote in message
> Since we are in the midst of the most summertime of holidays, what wines
> are you drinking this year for the summer?

On the patio -- Prosecco, Muscadet, Sancerre, Riesling.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Dale Williams wrote:
> I do change my eating and wine habits somewhat in the summer. We usually eat
> on patio as much as possible from April till October (those end months being
> far iffier); additionally in summer we grill as much as possible so AC
> needn't fight oven.
>
> Food: We shop a lot at farmers markets, and choose according to what looks
> good. Plus in winter we are much more likely to go for heartier fare (stews,
> braises, etc) and root vegetables.
>
> Wine: In summer I dramatically increase my rose consumption (favorites this
> year so far include ones from Edmunds St John, Chivite, Cantalupo, and
> others). I also drink more Riesling, especially Mosel kabinetts with their
> low ABV. Tis the only time I drink vinho verde, and I drink more Sauvignon
> Blanc. Red-wise I might go for a lightly chilled Loire Cab Franc more than I
> would in winter.

I'm with Dale on this one (what a shock!). In the summer, we eat dinner
outside as much as we can, we get fresh produce from a local CSA
(organic food cooperative) and eat lighter meals (more fish,
charcouterie and vegetarian dishes). The wines we drink I've mostly
posted about he

'05 Muscadet (Luneau-Papin, Pepiere)
'05/'06 Grüner Veltliner (Gobelsburger, various Federspiels)
'05/'06 NZ Sauvignon Blanc (Babich, Villa Maria, Kim Crawford)
'06 Rosé (Ch. Peyrassol)
'05 Beaujolais (Brun, Tete, Vissoux)
'00/'01 Cotes du Rhone (L'Espigouette)
the occasional Syrah (Edmunds St. John)

In the near futu Baudry's '06 Chinon Rosé (to put Dale's fears to
rest) and several more Grüner Veltliners.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
"Dale Williams" > wrote:

> I do change my eating and wine habits somewhat in the summer. We usually eat
> on patio as much as possible from April till October (those end months being
> far iffier); additionally in summer we grill as much as possible so AC
> needn't fight oven.
>
> Food: We shop a lot at farmers markets, and choose according to what looks
> good. Plus in winter we are much more likely to go for heartier fare (stews,
> braises, etc) and root vegetables.
>
> Wine: In summer I dramatically increase my rose consumption (favorites this
> year so far include ones from Edmunds St John, Chivite, Cantalupo, and
> others). I also drink more Riesling, especially Mosel kabinetts with their
> low ABV. Tis the only time I drink vinho verde, and I drink more Sauvignon
> Blanc. Red-wise I might go for a lightly chilled Loire Cab Franc more than I
> would in winter.
> "Lawrence Leichtman" > wrote in message
> > Since we are in the midst of the most summertime of holidays, what wines
> > are you drinking this year for the summer?

I have added in a few Verdeho wines and Spanish Roses as well. Both are
great values and go well with the lighter summer cuisine. There seems to
be a lot more variety in Roses now than in the past. Hadn't thought
about Prosecco for the summer but a great suggestion.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2007-07-04 08:32:39 -0700, Lawrence Leichtman > said:

> Since we are in the midst of the most summertime of holidays, what wines
> are you drinking this year for the summer?

We lighten up quite a bit - no more massive Petite Syrah or sinful Zins
- out comes the Vinho Verde Branco - Alianca or Casal Garcia ('bout
what we can get, here) and Marlborough SB. Used to favor Kenwood SB,
until they started dosing it with Chardonnay to get higher Wine
Spectator scores, I guess. A particular favorite Summer wine is Elk
Cove Pinot Blanc - all around good. For reds, lighter GC St. Emilions,
and lighter local Pinot Noir.

Member

Smile

During summer!!!!!!!!!! I think red wine is great.....

crocky

A Classic Absinthe Fountain « Absinthe-Fountain
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 4, 4:32 pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> Since we are in the midst of the most summertime of holidays, what wines
> are you drinking this year for the summer?

I would drink well chilled Marlborough white from New Zealand and in
particular Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc or failing that Jackson Estate.

Judith

TN: summer wines DaleW Wine 0 29-08-2012 07:38 PM
TN: Summer wines from all over DaleW Wine 2 07-07-2011 08:10 PM
TN: Summer wines from all over DaleW Wine 0 06-07-2011 07:07 PM
Summer Picnic Wines Bill S. Wine 0 08-08-2010 06:15 PM
TN: Wines on a summer eve (Gavi, PG, SB, Bdx, Zin) DaleW Wine 2 28-07-2009 05:38 PM