Posted to alt.food.wine

Default friend visiting Alsace

Hi All,

Some friends are going to Alsace to celebrate their parents 60th wedding
anniversary, they've asked where to taste but I'm not an expert on the area.

"we will be staying near the town of st. amarin, we are also near cemay,
wittelsheim, and vieux-thann,"

Anyone have some good vineyards in the area? They will have a car,
obviously.

Thanks in advance,

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

I would suggest Rolly Gassmann. The style is not bone dry. The wines
are good, but also very easily likeable by those who drink occasionally.
The tastings are legendary. You will probably be shown a list of
around 45 wine, and be persuaded to try all of them. Do not THINK about
driving afterwards - even if you spit you will be over the limit.

Apart from that, there are many, many others I could recommend, but it
would help if you said a bit more about your friends. How much are they
into wine? What styles do they like? Would they be looking to buy, and
if so around what price?

--
www.winenous.co.uk
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 18, 12:37*pm, Steve Slatcher > wrote:
> I would suggest Rolly Gassmann. *The style is not bone dry. *The wines
> are good, but also very easily likeable by those who drink occasionally.
> * The tastings are legendary. *You will probably be shown a list of
> around 45 wine, and be persuaded to try all of them. *Do not THINK about
> driving afterwards - even if you spit you will be over the limit.
>
> Apart from that, there are many, many others I could recommend, but it
> would help if you said a bit more about your friends. *How much are they
> into wine? *What styles do they like? *Would they be looking to buy, and
> if so around what price?
>
> --www.winenous.co.uk

I had a great time at Bott-Geyl. They are making very good wines in a
large range of qualities and their Cremant d' Alsace is a great
bargain sparkler. Nice folks too!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 06/18/2012 06:56 PM, Bi!! wrote:
> On Jun 18, 12:37 pm, Steve Slatcher > wrote:
>> I would suggest Rolly Gassmann. The style is not bone dry. The wines
>> are good, but also very easily likeable by those who drink occasionally.
>> The tastings are legendary. You will probably be shown a list of
>> around 45 wine, and be persuaded to try all of them. Do not THINK about
>> driving afterwards - even if you spit you will be over the limit.
>>
>> Apart from that, there are many, many others I could recommend, but it
>> would help if you said a bit more about your friends. How much are they
>> into wine? What styles do they like? Would they be looking to buy, and
>> if so around what price?
>>
>> --www.winenous.co.uk

> I had a great time at Bott-Geyl. They are making very good wines in a
> large range of qualities and their Cremant d' Alsace is a great
> bargain sparkler. Nice folks too!

Thanks to both of you, I will certainly pass these on.

Steve I'd love to get some more recs if you've got them. My friends are
not wine geeks but do have a fair amount of experience and what I would
qualify as sophisticated palates. They're NYers who have spent a lot of
time abroad, we've been tasting together for a few days in the Northern
Rhone, and have emptied some good bottles together over the years. (I
have fond memories of a certain 82 Palmer in the early 90s, although the
rest of the evening is blurry!) The parents lived abroad for many years
in Kyoto and Paris, Laura grew up in Paris and so speaks passable "NY
French". HTH for some recs, and thanks again.

-E
Posted to alt.food.wine

In message >
Emery Davis > wrote:

> Hi All,

> Some friends are going to Alsace to celebrate their parents 60th wedding
> anniversary, they've asked where to taste but I'm not an expert on the area.

> "we will be staying near the town of st. amarin, we are also near cemay,
> wittelsheim, and vieux-thann,"

> Anyone have some good vineyards in the area? They will have a car,
> obviously.

> Thanks in advance,

> -E

I would have to say that it is really worth going the few miles from
the villages you mention which are around Mulhouse to the villages
round and to the other side of Colmar, into the best part of Alsace.

I would suggest Scheidecker-Zimmerlin, a small family house in the Rue
des Merles, Mittelwihr where you will get a very friendly welcome and
some very well priced wines including Mandelberg GCs Riesling and
Gewurztraminer as well as Riesling GC Sporen. The generic wines are
deliberately made dry with the Reserves having more residual sugars.
Recommended to me years ago by Tom Stephenson and we have been regular
customers for a long time - give them my best wishes if your friends
go there. Otherwise the Turckheim and Bebleneheim cooperatives are
good. I hope they have a good trip.

Tim Hartley

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 19/06/2012 09:24, Emery Davis wrote:
> On 06/18/2012 06:56 PM, Bi!! wrote:
>> On Jun 18, 12:37 pm, Steve > wrote:
>>> I would suggest Rolly Gassmann. The style is not bone dry. The wines
>>> are good, but also very easily likeable by those who drink occasionally.
>>> The tastings are legendary. You will probably be shown a list of
>>> around 45 wine, and be persuaded to try all of them. Do not THINK about
>>> driving afterwards - even if you spit you will be over the limit.
>>>
>>> Apart from that, there are many, many others I could recommend, but it
>>> would help if you said a bit more about your friends. How much are they
>>> into wine? What styles do they like? Would they be looking to buy, and
>>> if so around what price?
>>>
>>> --www.winenous.co.uk

>> I had a great time at Bott-Geyl. They are making very good wines in a
>> large range of qualities and their Cremant d' Alsace is a great
>> bargain sparkler. Nice folks too!

> Thanks to both of you, I will certainly pass these on.
>
> Steve I'd love to get some more recs if you've got them. My friends are
> not wine geeks but do have a fair amount of experience and what I would
> qualify as sophisticated palates. They're NYers who have spent a lot of
> time abroad, we've been tasting together for a few days in the Northern
> Rhone, and have emptied some good bottles together over the years. (I
> have fond memories of a certain 82 Palmer in the early 90s, although the
> rest of the evening is blurry!) The parents lived abroad for many years
> in Kyoto and Paris, Laura grew up in Paris and so speaks passable "NY
> French". HTH for some recs, and thanks again.

OK, here are a few I have visited, and which people generally seem to like:

Trimbach (Austere dry style, which I sometimes like)

Hugel (One of my favourites, but seems to be unfashionable to like them.
Richer style)

Zind Humbrecht (If you can get in. Biodynamic)

Caves de Turkheim (A large, modern, but good quality coop)

Paul Blank

Rolly Gassmann (See above)

Josmeyer (Not one of my favourite, but others seem to like it a lot.
Biodynamic)

Some smaller, less well-known, places I have enjoyed:

Sipp Mack

Ginglinger-Fix

--
www.winenous.co.uk
Posted to alt.food.wine

In message >, Steve Slatcher
> writes
>On 19/06/2012 09:24, Emery Davis wrote:

>>> I had a great time at Bott-Geyl. They are making very good wines in a
>>> large range of qualities and their Cremant d' Alsace is a great
>>> bargain sparkler. Nice folks too!

>> Thanks to both of you, I will certainly pass these on.
>>
>> Steve I'd love to get some more recs if you've got them. My friends are
>> not wine geeks but do have a fair amount of experience and what I would
>> qualify as sophisticated palates. They're NYers who have spent a lot of
>> time abroad, we've been tasting together for a few days in the Northern
>> Rhone, and have emptied some good bottles together over the years. (I
>> have fond memories of a certain 82 Palmer in the early 90s, although the
>> rest of the evening is blurry!) The parents lived abroad for many years
>> in Kyoto and Paris, Laura grew up in Paris and so speaks passable "NY
>> French". HTH for some recs, and thanks again.

>OK, here are a few I have visited, and which people generally seem to like:
>
>Trimbach (Austere dry style, which I sometimes like)
>
>Hugel (One of my favourites, but seems to be unfashionable to like
>them. Richer style)
>
>Zind Humbrecht (If you can get in. Biodynamic)
>
>Caves de Turkheim (A large, modern, but good quality coop)
>
>Paul Blank
>
>Rolly Gassmann (See above)
>
>Josmeyer (Not one of my favourite, but others seem to like it a lot.
>Biodynamic)
>

>Some smaller, less well-known, places I have enjoyed:
>
>Sipp Mack
>
>Ginglinger-Fix

Marcel Deiss.

And for all of the suggestions: the tourist offices in the area have a
leaflet which gives a map with the producers and towns (not full
addresses, I think, but enough): even if they check the addresses on
line in advance, this will be useful to plan a route.

--
---
Sheila Page
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 06/19/2012 07:18 PM, Timothy Hartley wrote:
> In message >
> Emery Davis > wrote:
>
>> Hi All,

>> Some friends are going to Alsace to celebrate their parents 60th wedding
>> anniversary, they've asked where to taste but I'm not an expert on the area.

>> "we will be staying near the town of st. amarin, we are also near cemay,
>> wittelsheim, and vieux-thann,"

>> Anyone have some good vineyards in the area? They will have a car,
>> obviously.

>> Thanks in advance,

>> -E

> I would have to say that it is really worth going the few miles from
> the villages you mention which are around Mulhouse to the villages
> round and to the other side of Colmar, into the best part of Alsace.
>
> I would suggest Scheidecker-Zimmerlin, a small family house in the Rue
> des Merles, Mittelwihr where you will get a very friendly welcome and
> some very well priced wines including Mandelberg GCs Riesling and
> Gewurztraminer as well as Riesling GC Sporen. The generic wines are
> deliberately made dry with the Reserves having more residual sugars.
> Recommended to me years ago by Tom Stephenson and we have been regular
> customers for a long time - give them my best wishes if your friends
> go there. Otherwise the Turckheim and Bebleneheim cooperatives are
> good. I hope they have a good trip.
>
> Tim Hartley

Thanks again everyone. I will pass along recommendations.

-E

Visiting SF Dimitri General Cooking 6 02-11-2010 12:34 AM
Visiting SF Bay area Paul Parker Wine 5 22-06-2006 05:04 PM
Visiting Bordeaux Mister B General 0 10-06-2005 12:59 AM
Visiting Thailand Lawrence Asian Cooking 3 15-06-2004 03:47 PM
Visiting Madeira Knagsted Wine 4 04-12-2003 07:16 PM