Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Ruwer, Barolo, Beaujolais, CA

With tofu tikka masala, the 2004 Karthauserhof "Eitelsbacher Karthauserhofberg" Riesling Spatlese. More mineral than fruity, moderate sweetness. Melon, anise, wet rocks. Good length and acids. Not especially charming, but at $20 (Posner/Fass) good deal. B/B+

With pizza, the 2006 Vajra "Albe" Barolo, another Grapes deal ($25). This is supposed to be the early drinker in Vajra lineup. but there's plenty of tannic structure here. Red fruit, a bit restrained. I tried again 2 nights later and found it to have only minimal oxidation, and showing more on the nose- violets, underbrush, tar. B for now, should get better.

A friend recently had knee surgery, was finally up to visitors, food, and wine Friday (no wine for me Thursday). Betsy went over early and made a chicken thigh and mushroom fricasse. I arrived later with the appetizer, canapes of hummus and white anchovy on flatbread. We enjoyed a couple of wines. She had carried the 2009 Terres Dorees/JP Brun Beaujolais Blanc with her for cooking wine, it made a nice foil for the anchovies. Clean Chardonnay fruit, balanced acidity, green apples and flowers. Another good QPR. B/B+

I had carried a bottle of Rosso di Montalcino, but Joe had already opened the NV Marietta "Lot 55" Old Vines Red Wine. I've generally found these old vine blends (mostly Zin I think( from Marietta decent value, but this is not my style. It's veering into overt sweetness, ripe and low acid. On the short side, kirsch and baking spices, did I say sweet? C+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW > wrote in

> With pizza, the 2006 Vajra "Albe" Barolo, another Grapes deal ($25).
> This is supposed to be the early drinker in Vajra lineup. but there's
> plenty of tannic structure here. Red fruit, a bit restrained. I tried
> again 2 nights later and found it to have only minimal oxidation, and
> showing more on the nose- violets, underbrush, tar. B for now, should
> get better.

2006 is a very tannic vintage for Barolo, and even the early drinkers or
entry level wines are difficult to taste at this stage. 2007, on the other
hands, is much easier to drink now.

s.

TN: old Macon and Beaujolais, nice Riesling, plus bubblles, Barolo, etc DaleW Wine 6 30-01-2017 05:05 PM
TN: Holidays and Sadness- 1991 and other California wines, GV, Burgand Bojo, Oregon, Alsace, Ruwer, etc DaleW Wine 9 19-01-2017 04:39 PM
TN: Good Loires, nice St Julien, plus Ruwer, Champagne, Tuscan, OR DaleW Wine 1 17-11-2015 09:10 PM
TN: Tuscany, Ruwer, Alsace DaleW Wine 0 28-02-2014 11:44 PM
WTN: Napa, Nahe, Ruwer, and Languedoc DaleW Wine 2 20-07-2010 06:27 PM