Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Ruwer, Barolo, Beaujolais, CA

With tofu tikka masala, the 2004 Karthauserhof "Eitelsbacher Karthauserhofberg" Riesling Spatlese. More mineral than fruity, moderate sweetness. Melon, anise, wet rocks. Good length and acids. Not especially charming, but at $20 (Posner/Fass) good deal. B/B+

With pizza, the 2006 Vajra "Albe" Barolo, another Grapes deal ($25). This is supposed to be the early drinker in Vajra lineup. but there's plenty of tannic structure here. Red fruit, a bit restrained. I tried again 2 nights later and found it to have only minimal oxidation, and showing more on the nose- violets, underbrush, tar. B for now, should get better.

A friend recently had knee surgery, was finally up to visitors, food, and wine Friday (no wine for me Thursday). Betsy went over early and made a chicken thigh and mushroom fricasse. I arrived later with the appetizer, canapes of hummus and white anchovy on flatbread. We enjoyed a couple of wines. She had carried the 2009 Terres Dorees/JP Brun Beaujolais Blanc with her for cooking wine, it made a nice foil for the anchovies. Clean Chardonnay fruit, balanced acidity, green apples and flowers. Another good QPR. B/B+

I had carried a bottle of Rosso di Montalcino, but Joe had already opened the NV Marietta "Lot 55" Old Vines Red Wine. I've generally found these old vine blends (mostly Zin I think( from Marietta decent value, but this is not my style. It's veering into overt sweetness, ripe and low acid. On the short side, kirsch and baking spices, did I say sweet? C+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.