Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Terrine Event #8 2011

The 2011 terrines in the garden event began at about 1:00 under
thankfully clear skies, the weather forecast having vacillated all
week between endurable to catastrophic cold and rain. Fortunately,
this 8th annual event was blessed with the usual mix of good friends,
good food, good wines and pleasant surroundings.

Everyone presents their terrine dish, together with two wines that
they feel may complement them. We often take advantage of the
occasion to test a couple of somewhat different wines to see which
works to best advantage with the food.

The first course was a White Fish Mousseline with cucumber vichyssoise
sauce, the terrine punctuated by pieces of decorative and tasty fish.

2006 Daniel Dampt Chablis 1 cru Cote de Lechet – light in colour, and
a lot of mineral and nicely calculated oak hints, clean and crisp on
palate. Very nice wine.

2010 Ch. D'Esclans Whispering Angel Rosé – from the Lichine property
in Provence, this wine had a faint pink tint with pretty effect, a
marked fruit aroma that I thought was more cherry at first but quickly
settled in to being strawberry, and a clean finish. Good, but not as
good with the food as the Dampt.

The next course was a take on a classic from the Tour d’Argent, a
terrine of sweetbreads, lobster and truffles in gelée. While tasting
very good, the structural integrity left something to be desired, an
issue unrevealed in an initial test run. Served with a fennel and
apple salad.

2005 Champelou Vouvray La Cuvée de Fondraux – I knew that this wine
was tasty but might lack sufficient acidity to shine, and that turned
out to be the case. Slightly sweet apple nose, soft with some
sweetness on palate and while fairly full bodied and smooth across the
tongue, I felt that the terminal acidity was a bit lacking, leaving a
too soft impression.

2007 Ca Rugate Soave Classico Monte Fiorentino – no acidity issues at
all with this wine. Full bodied fruit and lemon nose, good fruit on
palate and crisp acidity worked much better with the food. Some opined
that it would have been interesting to taste this dish with a cool
Pinot Noir as well.

The next dish was made from mushrooms obtained by the participant
while visiting the Queen Charlotte Islands.

Haida Gwaii Wild Mushroom Terrine, made with a combination of dried
and fresh mushrooms, mostly chanterelles with some morels and button
mushrooms, garnished with cooked cherries and a bit of goat cheese.

2009 Georges Descombes Beaujolais Morgon – this wine was showing nice
depth of colour and some nice cherry fruit, with soft tannins and good
length. Nice choice!

We adjourned at half time for a few rounds of bocce competition, and
then returned for the second half of the wines and food.

The next terrine was a classic French style rabbit and hazelnut
preparation, with accompaniments of cherry with cherry with radiccio
and balsamic vinegar and a mango salsa.

1999 Jacques Prieur Volnay Champans –This wine was showing as well as
I can ever remember. Good colour, with a little funkiness in the
otherwise plumy nose, lots of mid-palate fruit, and a long smooth
finish. Mellow and perfectly ready.

1996 CUNE Imperial Gran Reserva – another interesting wine choice.
Fair bit of bricking at the edges, and a reasonable amount of vanilla
in the nose, the wine showed some very nice developed fruit and some
hints of dill developed after awhile. Good length.

The next dish had been tested and retested, no doubt changing
considerably in the process. Polpettone Rigoletto, pasta nest w/white
truffle marinara and black truffle caviar, and Chianti-braised baby
turnips is harder to describe than to just look at in a picture – very
nicely laid out and very decorative.

2000 Prunotto Barbaresco – good Piemontese slightly tarry nose, this
wine had good fruit levels and abundant soft tannins were present.

1999 Poggio di Sotto Brunello – unlike some Brunellos I tasted a week
ago, that fooled several of us into thinking they were from Piemonte,
this was pure varietal sangiovese in the nose, with red fruit across
the tongue and a mellow lengthy finish. Very nice drinking right now.

Last but certainly not least was an oxtail terrine, served with a bit
of greens, gherkins and savoury mayonnaise.

2001 Arcadian Pisoni Vineyards Pinot Noir - a big wine, intentionally
left to the last, this was quite dark, showed a big fruity pinot nose,
unmistakeably Californian, and it still had lots of soft tannins and
great body. Worked well with the wine.

We then kicked back and some indulged in an apricot roll dessert while
others sat and contemplated what they would make for next year, the
9th terrine event!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 12:30:37 -0700 (PDT), "Bill S." >
wrote:

>The 2011 terrines in the garden event began at about 1:00 under
>thankfully clear skies, the weather forecast having vacillated all
>week between endurable to catastrophic cold and rain. Fortunately,
>this 8th annual event was blessed with the usual mix of good friends,
>good food, good wines and pleasant surroundings.

AAAAHHHH! Thank you. If we can't be there sometimes it is nice to
pretend. What a lovely afternoon it must have been.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 31, 3:30*pm, "Bill S." > wrote:
> [...]
> wine had good fruit levels and abundant soft tannins were present.
>
> 1999 Poggio di Sotto Brunello – unlike some Brunellos I tasted a week
> ago, that fooled several of us into thinking they were from Piemonte,
> this was pure varietal sangiovese in the nose, with red fruit across
> the tongue and a mellow lengthy finish. Very nice drinking right now.
>
> Last but certainly not least was an oxtail terrine, served with a bit
> of greens, gherkins and savoury mayonnaise.
>
> 2001 Arcadian Pisoni Vineyards Pinot Noir *- a big wine, intentionally
> left to the last, this was quite dark, showed a big fruity pinot nose,
> unmistakeably Californian, and it still had lots of soft tannins and
> great body. *Worked well with the wine.
>
> We then kicked back and some indulged in an apricot roll dessert while
> others sat and contemplated what they would make for next year, the

Thanks for the notes on the wines and the terrines! I look forward to
reading about this event each year.

2010 7th Annual Terrine Event Bill S. Wine 4 02-08-2010 04:18 PM
2008 Terrine Event Bill S. Wine 4 04-08-2008 04:00 PM
Terrine Event #4 Bill S. Wine 19 24-07-2007 07:09 PM
3rd Annual All Terrine Event Bill S. Wine 0 06-08-2006 06:15 PM
T2 - The second Annual All Terrine Event Bill S. Wine 0 14-08-2005 07:10 PM