Bill S.

Default T2 - The second Annual All Terrine Event

The Second Annual International Terrine Tasting of the Western All
Terrine and Pat=E9 Eaters Society took place in the garden yesterday.
This is an event that I created to explore the different combinations
of wines with this sort of food. It has the added advantage that while
the cooking can be rather intense, the major effort is normally
completed before the event, which leaves the combatants in garden
stadium at ease and relaxed and able to chat rather than slaving away
in last minute preparation.

2000 Wegeler Winkeler Hasensprung Riesling Spatlese Trocken - this
was an aperitif wine, but one that segued into the first course very
well. Expected varietal nose, very clean on palate and then it snuck up
on you with a hit of acid right at the end.

First up were a couple we had added to last year's crew, because they
are very interested in food and wine, because I couldn't take the
pleading any longer and because he kept whispering the magic word in my
ear - foie gras (he is another founding member of the Foie Fools, who
do the same sort of thing with wine and various foie gras matches.

Tourchon of Foie Gras

with 'Stained Glass Onions'

Wanting to get out of the (albeit pleasant) rut of serving this with
sweet French wines, my friend opted for German wines, of which we had 3
to taste and compare.

1978 Schloss Reinharthausen Hattenheimer Heiligenberger Traminer
Spatlese Trocken - we wondered how well a trocken wine this old would
have held up as these wines carry along on both sugar and acidity, and
this one started out short on the former. A slightly funky nose turned
to a quite pleasant nose with, I swear, a touch of mint, something you
almost never see in this sort of wine. Balanced and clean.

1975 Winzergenossenschaft Kobnert Herxheimer Berg Siegerrebe
Beerenauslese - the colour on this was now brown with a sweet caramel
nose and good acidity. ******* son of Gewurz and Madeleine Angevine.

1992 Sichel Kirchheimer Kreuz Beerenauslese - beautiful golden
colour, with the typical Riesling petrol nose that I had been
subconsciously looking for in the two previous non-Riesling wines.
Fruit much better, then just a tad hollow in the middle and then the
acid kicked in at the end. Decent.

Conclusion? We thought that the Trocken was too dry and the BA a bit
too sweet - next time, probably an Auslese.

The next course was prepared by someone that had done a final course
meat dish last time, so this was a complete switch for him.

Scallop and Sockeye Salmon Terrine with Asparagus

2002 Drouhin Puligny Montrachet Premier Cru 'Folatieres' - this
presented like an oversized Chablis - stones and mineral in the nose,
but rich and textured on palate. Good match with the food.

Next up was yours truly. I'd done a pork based traditional p=E2t=E9
last year and also wanted to mix it up a bit, so I chose to do a
lighter chicken based dish this time.

Ballotine de Volaille aux Pistaches

with confit of red onions and currants

2004 Martin Codax Albarino - I was all set to serve a different wine
when I saw that this had come into the stores. I thought that a wine
that so few people knew would be interesting. Interesting nose of a wet
cedar forest with a hint of peach, very clean in the mouth, and quite
crisp. These wines are best on release and should be drunk when young
like this.

1998 Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc - alright, I can't resist
challenging accepted wisdom, which in this case seems to dictate that
this well known wine be drunk up within the year of release. My rule
with CB is to cellar for 1-2 years to allow the acidity to integrate a
bit - the wines soften and become more interesting. I put away a
couple of bottles of the 1998 for a longer term experiment. Gone was
the gooseberry in the nose, replaced with more complex herbal fruit. It
was clean in the mouth, the acidity moderated and it exhibited an
interesting red currant element on palate (I swear it wasn't the
confit talking). Voted best match with the food.

Vegetable Terrine with Heritage Tomatoes

2001 Willi Haag Brauenberger Juffer Riesling Kabinett - I don't
think I can recall another meal where we made such good use of German
wines! Good oily petrol nose, crisp and smooth on palate with a
lingering sweetness that would have had me guessing Spatlese in a blind
tasting.

2004 Dom. Lafond Roc Epine Tavel Ros=E9 - bright pink colour, dry and
with lots of stuffing and a strawberry nose. Voted best match with the
veggies.

Terrine de Canard aux pistaches et apricots

2003 Duboeuf 'La TrinQ=E9e' Julienas - this is a heavyweight
Beaujolais, if that isn't a contradiction in terms. Quiet dark, with
a nice dark cherry nose and lots of stuffing - the tannins here
dictate a couple of years ion the cellar. This is not your typical
lightweight Bojo!

1979 Ch. Pichon Lalande - oh my! Showing a bit of browning at
thedges, this has lost nothing on the nose, which shows a delightful
tobacco and cedar nose, medium body, the fruit probably a bit less than
a few years ago, but made up in complexity and elegance. Drinking as
well now as it ever will, though it will continue to hold without too
much change for some years. For an old Bordeaux hound like me it was an
easy choice - trying to beat a mature Pauillac like this armed only
with a Bojo is like entering a one legged man in a butt kicking
contest.

Truffled Pork Terrine with foie gras

1993 Alain Hudelot-Noellat Clos de Vougeot - interesting beetroot and
manure nose with good fruit lurking beneath. Excellent weight , smooth
and long on palate, and this was my best wine of night vote!

1985 Ch. Gruaud Larose - great nose, once it settled down out of
bottle. I swear there was a hint of truffle, but it could have been the
terrine. This wine is now mellow and smooth in the mouth (like quite a
few 1985s in fact) and drinks exceptionally well now. It took a heck of
a Burgundy to steal my vote from this and the Pichon as wines of the
night.

This course, prepared by the 'Cat Lady', was also my favourite
course of the night. The little stack of potato cubes dressed with
mustard oil was a touch of genius. It was meant to be made from wild
boar, but as hunting was poor last week, domestic porker had to stand
in.

The final course, served without wine, was a three chocolate terrine
with peaches made in honour of the birthday of my dear wife,
SheWhoMustBeObeyed.

1979 Heinrich Lorch Bergzaberner Wonneberg Auslese - I brought this
out for those who weren't into desserts (I had it in the fridge as
back-up for the other 79, had it been hors de combat) Dark amber, much
of the sweetness it no doubt had when young now gone, leaving a nice
wine with good length and interesting flavours. These mature Rieslings
can be great fun.

As we broke up, gathering our glasses and accoutrements by torchlight,
I could hear the plans for a third annual event being discussed.......

Pictures available at
http://www.myspeakerscorner.com/foru...D1&tid=3D64988

Terrine Event #8 2011 Bill S. Wine 2 02-08-2011 03:41 PM
2010 7th Annual Terrine Event Bill S. Wine 4 02-08-2010 04:18 PM
2008 Terrine Event Bill S. Wine 4 04-08-2008 04:00 PM
Terrine Event #4 Bill S. Wine 19 24-07-2007 07:09 PM
3rd Annual All Terrine Event Bill S. Wine 0 06-08-2006 06:15 PM