Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2008 Terrine Event

August 2, 2008 was the day of the fifth annual terrine event, and the
weather was looking pretty bad until just after noon, but the sun
finally started to shine on us as the participants arrived with
terrines, boxes of accompaniments and wine in hand. Each person had
created a terrine and had chosen a pair of wines, sometimes similar,
sometimes contrasting, to see what worked best with their dish.

The seafood guys got off early with a colourful offering:

Terrine de Deux Poissons (a salmon and sole terrine with watercress)

2002 Meursault Les Clous from Patrick Javillier – this wine was all
about gravel and flint. A light colour, very nice nose of wet stones
and hint of lime, crisp and tasty, probably improved a bit with food.
A very focussed wine – no rush here.

2001 Ch. Carbonnieux blanc – whole different ball game here. Darker
wine with some waxiness in the nose and some vanilla, this also had
excellent balance and went even better with food.

Next up was Terrine de Legumes served with a couple of very different
wines.

2003 Voge, St Peray, Fleur de Crussol – old style label in green
monotone, this old vines 100% Marsanne showed some fennel in the nose,
along with a floral element, and was smooth and surprisingly rich on
palate.

2006 Eben Sadie Palladius – a bit of an outsider, from South Africa,
made by an idiosyncratic winemaker, blending Chenin Blanc, Grenache
Blanc, Viognier, Marsanne, Roussanne and Chardonnay. It had a real
melon nose, with a hint of green, mellow balanced and very tasty on
palate, finishing very nicely with a final blast of fruit and clean
acidity. Pricy but interesting. These wines were not very similar but
both worked well with the food.

Then came what was without doubt the winner on presentation, and the
first time we had shown a paté en croute. It was a Pate en croute New
Mexico style with spicy pork and quail in a cilantro crust with
avocado-lime salsa and white corn/black truffle tamale garnish.

1996 Lopez de Heredia Vina Gravana Rioja Bianco – this was a
marvellous wine, the sort of white Rioja you rarely see today. It was
medium yellow, quite oaky in the nose, but also had a hint of smoke
and roasted nuts along with …what, apricots? No oxidation, dry at end,
and nutty, this wine was a treat.

1991 Cune Imperial Gran Reserva – speaking of treats….I also love well
aged red Rioja, and this was one of them. Obviously no stranger to
oak, this wine was medium coloured, reaching full maturity, but with
lots of time, and showed a wonderful nose of mature fruit, vanilla and
spice with a hint of tobacco. Very penetrating flavour intensity on
palate with great persistence in the mouth. Hard to choose between
these two.

We then retired to the field of battle to engage in a game or two of
(very amateur) bocce before returning to the table for the next three
courses.

Duck Breast terrine with Green Peppercorns

1999 Domaine du Chateau de Meursault Beaune-Greves – sweet fruit in
this nose, elegant and smooth in the mouth with restrained fuit and
significant tannin that was easily tamed by the food.

1999 Meerlust Pinot Noir Reserve – great choice to match with the
Burgundy. Darker wine, darker nose with darker fruit (more plum than
cherry), clearly good varietal Pinot, but just as clearly not French,
nor American. Both went well with the food.

Veal Sweetbreads and Smoked Ham Terrine

2003 Renard Truchard Vd. Syrah – I’d chosen to try to match a couple
of the more European styles of American Syrahs with my dish. The first
bottle was corked, so I trotted off to the cellar to get another one
(fortunately it was still close to the surface of the stack of cases).
I’d thought to use this wine because I had opened the same one last
year for T4 with a ham and chicken breast terrine, and it had struck
us as very Rhone, right down to the white pepper in the nose. The
pepper was AWOL this year, and the wine presented as much larger in
frame than I’d recalled, with big blueberry fruit and good length.

2003 Unti Vd.Syrah – I hadn’t tasted this wine previously, and it
turned out to be a higher alcohol (14.6%) more American version of the
other Sonoma Syrah, lacking the complexity and not a well suited to
the food. Winter stew – fine.

Oxtail Terrine

2001 Arcadian Lafond Vineyard Pinot Noir – decent dark plum nose sweet
entry, decent balance and length. I liked it bit not as much as I had
the Meerlust.

1988 Lungarotti San Giorgio – wow – seriously delicious wine, fully
mature, and my kind of wine to boot (I’ve been happily working my way
through a case of the also excellent 1990). Lovely mature mostly
sangio nose (it is just below 50% sangio, around 50% cab and the
balance usually Canaiolo, this wine was elegant and delightful, and
would have worked well with any of the meat courses.

We then loosened our belts and those inclined to such indulged in a
chocolate terrine with raspberries. No wine was needed.

There was unanimous support for a T6 to be held in 2009! I think I
shall advocate venturing further afield into galantines and
ballotines, and more en croute presentations. Still lots of
possibilities to cover in this area.

For pictures of this event, see http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/...hp?f=3&t=17476
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
"Bill S." > wrote:

> [...]
>
> 2001 Arcadian Lafond Vineyard Pinot Noir * decent dark plum nose sweet
> entry, decent balance and length. I liked it bit not as much as I had
> the Meerlust.
>
> 1988 Lungarotti San Giorgio * wow * seriously delicious wine, fully
> mature, and my kind of wine to boot (I¹ve been happily working my way
> through a case of the also excellent 1990). Lovely mature mostly
> sangio nose (it is just below 50% sangio, around 50% cab and the
> balance usually Canaiolo, this wine was elegant and delightful, and
> would have worked well with any of the meat courses.
>
> We then loosened our belts and those inclined to such indulged in a
> chocolate terrine with raspberries. No wine was needed.
>
> There was unanimous support for a T6 to be held in 2009! I think I
> shall advocate venturing further afield into galantines and
> ballotines, and more en croute presentations. Still lots of

Excellent notes as always plus an interesting menu. Any idea how the
pork and quail pate was made?
Posted to alt.food.wine

> Excellent notes as always plus an interesting menu. Any idea how the
> pork and quail pate was made?- Hide quoted text -

I think it was ground pork, some ground quali and then whole breasts,
although the breasts don't show very well in the picture
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
"Bill S." > wrote:

> > Excellent notes as always plus an interesting menu. Any idea how the
> > pork and quail pate was made?- Hide quoted text -
> >

> I think it was ground pork, some ground quali and then whole breasts,
> although the breasts don't show very well in the picture

Thanks.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 3, 1:50*pm, "Bill S." > wrote:
> [...]
> entry, decent balance and length. I liked it bit not as much as I had
> the Meerlust.
>
> 1988 Lungarotti San Giorgio – wow – seriously delicious wine, fully
> mature, and my kind of wine to boot (I’ve been happily working my way
> through a case of the also excellent 1990). *Lovely mature mostly
> sangio nose (it is just below 50% sangio, around 50% cab and the
> balance usually Canaiolo, this wine was elegant and delightful, and
> would have worked well with any of the meat courses.
>
> We then loosened our belts and those inclined to such indulged in a
> chocolate terrine with raspberries. No wine was needed.
>
> There was unanimous support for a T6 to be held in 2009! *I think I
> shall advocate venturing further afield into galantines and
> ballotines, and more en croute presentations. Still lots of

Great pictures and text of the event. Thanks for the notes. I was
particularly interested in the Cune Rioja notes since I have two
bottles left of the 1991 and I just found four bottles of 1985.

Terrine Event #8 2011 Bill S. Wine 2 02-08-2011 03:41 PM
2010 7th Annual Terrine Event Bill S. Wine 4 02-08-2010 04:18 PM
Terrine Event #4 Bill S. Wine 19 24-07-2007 07:09 PM
3rd Annual All Terrine Event Bill S. Wine 0 06-08-2006 06:15 PM
T2 - The second Annual All Terrine Event Bill S. Wine 0 14-08-2005 07:10 PM